topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best USB Encryption Software.  (Read 9878 times)

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best USB Encryption Software.
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Can forum members advise as to both free and paid USB password protection/ encryption software? I need one such immediately.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best USB Encryption Software.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20 AM »
I won't recommend any specific software or algorithm, but I will say that multiple iterations with encryption, even with the same algorithm, are stronger. So, if you picked ACME Encryptor, then used it 3x on the same file, you would have increased the protection level all that much more. (I don't want to say 3x or something else as I forget the exact math for it, but that should be a good enough comment to help a bit.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27 AM »

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40 AM »
TrueCrypt seems fine.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I won't recommend any specific software or algorithm, but I will say that multiple iterations with encryption, even with the same algorithm, are stronger.
I know this "intuitively feels right", but please back up the claim with work from acknowledge cryptographers :-)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:42 AM »
I won't recommend any specific software or algorithm, but I will say that multiple iterations with encryption, even with the same algorithm, are stronger.
I know this "intuitively feels right", but please back up the claim with work from acknowledge cryptographers :-)

I don't have the references. Check Leo Laporte for that as I know there should be a transcript to back it up as I remember it from a podcast from him a number of years ago. They walked through the math a bit.

It sounds right, and it is right. But please do check for yourself. I'm pretty sure you'll find the same.

The basics are that you are always increasing entropy.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Leo Laporte... is he that guy that podcasted with Steve Gibson? In that case, please take what he says with a grain... no, wait, metric sh!tton... of salt.

Which adds the most entropy - adding 30 to a number, or adding 10 three times?
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Leo Laporte... is he that guy that podcasted with Steve Gibson? In that case, please take what he says with a grain... no, wait, metric sh!tton... of salt.

You could be right there. I just don't remember it all. I only remember the "jist". And yes, Steve Gibson was on the show. I forget who else though. John probably - though I forget his crabby last name.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:17 PM »
You could be right there. I just don't remember it all. I only remember the "jist". And yes, Steve Gibson was on the show. I forget who else though. John probably - though I forget his crabby last name.
If it had been Bruce Schneier, there would've been a bit of credibility.

But Leo and Steven? They don't go beyond "intuitively feels right", and that's simply not good enough when it comes to security.
- carpe noctem

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 01:46 PM »
I'd add 7, 11 and 13, because they're prime numbers, adding 31 in total which is also a prime number... :P :P ;D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Be careful with multiple passes.  If the software does it, it's prolly OK, but if multiple pass encryption is not built into the software, you can end up corrupting the file(s) being encrypted by doing multiple manual passes.  Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun.  Not a debacle, but not fun  :(.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I'd recommend Safehouse Explorer, free and versatile.  From http://www.safehouse...feHouseExplorer.aspx
.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:32 AM »
If it had been Bruce Schneier, there would've been a bit of credibility.

But Leo and Steven? They don't go beyond "intuitively feels right", and that's simply not good enough when it comes to security.

+1 x 10^2!!!

f0dder nails it!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 02:08 AM »
Regarding multiple encryption - if you're just worried about someone stealing your stuff (like if your computer actually gets stolen, or you lose your USB key or phone), using respectable encryption software that uses properly implemented standard encryption algorithms such as AES should be plenty.  And TrueCrypt should probably be at the top of the list of software to consider.  If the software you're using isn't good enough to foil a thief with one round of encryption, I doubt that multiple rounds is good enough either.

On the other hand, if you're worried about the FBI or some other 3 letter agency taking a serious interest in your files, I'm in no position to give advice (but I'd guess that TrueCrypt would still be one of the better things to have in your arsenal).

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 03:08 AM »
I'd recommend Safehouse Explorer, free and versatile.  From http://www.safehouse...feHouseExplorer.aspx

TSA reviewer said this abot SE:
"SafeHouse Explorer is easy to use, but it has a flaw that could leave your data exposed. The SafeHouse Explore interface is a pseudo Windows Explorer window, with a few encryption functions included.

The problem is, you cannot create files directly in the interface. That forces you to create unencrypted files outside the volume, and then copy them to the volume. Of course those unencrypted files still reside on your hard drive. There is a "Secure Delete" function to securely delete external files, but you need to remember to always do that.

Fortunately, there's a way around that security hole. If you open a real Windows Explorer window after opening a volume in SafeHouse Explore, you'll find a SAFEHOUSE drive listed there. You can work within that encrypted window -- create files, delete files, edit files, etc. -- just like you would in any other drive. There will be only one copy of your files, and they will never be stored in unencrypted form. If you're careful how you use SafeHouse Explorer, it's a safe, simple program."

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53 AM »
Installed TrueCryprt. Like it. Also trying SafeHouse Explorer Professional. Thanks panzer for the caveat about SafeHouse.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I've used AxCrypt in the past. But I've since stopped using it because:

• it's only single platform
  • the portable version never got out of beta last I checked
  • the developer started using OpenCandy with their installer

FWIW I currently use TrueCrypt for all my encryption requirements. Highly recommended.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Regarding multiple encryption - if you're just worried about someone stealing your stuff (like if your computer actually gets stolen, or you lose your USB key or phone), using respectable encryption software that uses properly implemented standard encryption algorithms such as AES should be plenty.
Amen!

And TrueCrypt should probably be at the top of the list of software to consider.
I personally trust it, even though I have from a reliable source that TC volumes have been decrypted without bruteforcing the key... he couldn't tell me how it had been done, but my impression was memory dump of the encryption key - and that's something you just can't guard against if those somebodies have physical access to your machine, or have been able to plant a trojan.

On the other hand, if you're worried about the FBI or some other 3 letter agency taking a serious interest in your files, I'm in no position to give advice (but I'd guess that TrueCrypt would still be one of the better things to have in your arsenal).
If any TLA goes after you, you're screwed no matter what encryption they use. They will ruin your life - either they use their super-secret backdoors, or they find some other way to ruin your life. Stop worrying about them, or stop doing things that would attract their attention - simple as that :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 12:06 PM »
If any TLA goes after you, you're screwed no matter what encryption they use. They will ruin your life - either they use their super-secret backdoors, or they find some other way to ruin your life. Stop worrying about them, or stop doing things that would attract their attention - simple as that :)

+1. If you attract the wrathful attention of such as those, having your files decrypted will be the least of your worries.

As the man in the movie said: There are things much worse than dying. And we can do all of them to you. :tellme:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:25 PM by 40hz »