ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best USB Encryption Software.

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
I won't recommend any specific software or algorithm, but I will say that multiple iterations with encryption, even with the same algorithm, are stronger.-Renegade (November 13, 2012, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be careful with multiple passes.  If the software does it, it's prolly OK, but if multiple pass encryption is not built into the software, you can end up corrupting the file(s) being encrypted by doing multiple manual passes.  Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun.  Not a debacle, but not fun  :(.

MerleOne:
I'd recommend Safehouse Explorer, free and versatile.  From http://www.safehousesoftware.com/SafeHouseExplorer.aspx

40hz:
Leo Laporte... is he that guy that podcasted with Steve Gibson? In that case, please take what he says with a grain... no, wait, metric sh!tton... of salt.
Which adds the most entropy - adding 30 to a number, or adding 10 three times?
-f0dder (November 13, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
You could be right there. I just don't remember it all. I only remember the "jist". And yes, Steve Gibson was on the show. I forget who else though. John probably - though I forget his crabby last name.
-Renegade (November 13, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it had been Bruce Schneier, there would've been a bit of credibility.

But Leo and Steven? They don't go beyond "intuitively feels right", and that's simply not good enough when it comes to security.
-f0dder (November 13, 2012, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 x 10^2!!!

f0dder nails it!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mwb1100:
Regarding multiple encryption - if you're just worried about someone stealing your stuff (like if your computer actually gets stolen, or you lose your USB key or phone), using respectable encryption software that uses properly implemented standard encryption algorithms such as AES should be plenty.  And TrueCrypt should probably be at the top of the list of software to consider.  If the software you're using isn't good enough to foil a thief with one round of encryption, I doubt that multiple rounds is good enough either.

On the other hand, if you're worried about the FBI or some other 3 letter agency taking a serious interest in your files, I'm in no position to give advice (but I'd guess that TrueCrypt would still be one of the better things to have in your arsenal).

panzer:
I'd recommend Safehouse Explorer, free and versatile.  From http://www.safehousesoftware.com/SafeHouseExplorer.aspx
-MerleOne (November 14, 2012, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

TSA reviewer said this abot SE:
"SafeHouse Explorer is easy to use, but it has a flaw that could leave your data exposed. The SafeHouse Explore interface is a pseudo Windows Explorer window, with a few encryption functions included.

The problem is, you cannot create files directly in the interface. That forces you to create unencrypted files outside the volume, and then copy them to the volume. Of course those unencrypted files still reside on your hard drive. There is a "Secure Delete" function to securely delete external files, but you need to remember to always do that.

Fortunately, there's a way around that security hole. If you open a real Windows Explorer window after opening a volume in SafeHouse Explore, you'll find a SAFEHOUSE drive listed there. You can work within that encrypted window -- create files, delete files, edit files, etc. -- just like you would in any other drive. There will be only one copy of your files, and they will never be stored in unencrypted form. If you're careful how you use SafeHouse Explorer, it's a safe, simple program."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version