ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best USB Encryption Software.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
I won't recommend any specific software or algorithm, but I will say that multiple iterations with encryption, even with the same algorithm, are stronger.-Renegade (November 13, 2012, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know this "intuitively feels right", but please back up the claim with work from acknowledge cryptographers :-)
-f0dder (November 13, 2012, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have the references. Check Leo Laporte for that as I know there should be a transcript to back it up as I remember it from a podcast from him a number of years ago. They walked through the math a bit.

It sounds right, and it is right. But please do check for yourself. I'm pretty sure you'll find the same.

The basics are that you are always increasing entropy.

f0dder:
Leo Laporte... is he that guy that podcasted with Steve Gibson? In that case, please take what he says with a grain... no, wait, metric sh!tton... of salt.

Which adds the most entropy - adding 30 to a number, or adding 10 three times?

Renegade:
Leo Laporte... is he that guy that podcasted with Steve Gibson? In that case, please take what he says with a grain... no, wait, metric sh!tton... of salt.

-f0dder (November 13, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could be right there. I just don't remember it all. I only remember the "jist". And yes, Steve Gibson was on the show. I forget who else though. John probably - though I forget his crabby last name.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
You could be right there. I just don't remember it all. I only remember the "jist". And yes, Steve Gibson was on the show. I forget who else though. John probably - though I forget his crabby last name.
-Renegade (November 13, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it had been Bruce Schneier, there would've been a bit of credibility.

But Leo and Steven? They don't go beyond "intuitively feels right", and that's simply not good enough when it comes to security.

Ath:
--- End quote ---
I'd add 7, 11 and 13, because they're prime numbers, adding 31 in total which is also a prime number... :P :P ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version