ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Acronis now does backup of individual files/folders

<< < (4/5) > >>

mwb1100:
I have also just got a new Seagate external USB drive (the the one press backup button).-Carol Haynes (August 21, 2006, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been curious about something with these one button backup drives - can you configure what get's run when the button is pressed, or is it hard-wired to run the bundled backup program?

Carol Haynes:
The Seagate drive is hardwired - but you can upgrade their software and use the Pro version (which looks pretty good).

JavaJones:
The free Cobian Backup can do some pretty decent backup as well as sync-type stuff. I don't think it stacks up against the commercial apps in some respects, but in other areas it seems to have been ahead for a while at least (like FTP backup, in either direction). Worth a look for a decent free app anyway:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

- Oshyan

tomos:
I have just discovered "Iomega Automatic Backup Pro"  ...
 ... The only things lacking are compression and the ability to backup files locked by other processes - but for normal 'My Documents' type data files it works really well and worth giving a whirl.-Carol Haynes (August 21, 2006, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

been trying this out (Iomega Automatic Backup pro):
it does actually give an option to compress (Edit>Advanced Tab:)
I just tried a test backup of 41MB of files & backup is listed as 20MB

It does crash on my computer when i restart after being in hibernation

Carol Haynes:
The Seagate drive is hardwired - but you can upgrade their software and use the Pro version (which looks pretty good).
-Carol Haynes (August 22, 2006, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Follow up - I have given up completely on the backup software provided with the Seagate drive. I upgraded to the Pro version as that also supported imaging but in order to restore an image you need a restore boot CD. I ordered one but it is useless. Crap command line Linux interface, it doesn't work with my hardware (not even the Seagate drive which is why I upgraded) particularly my RAID array (it won't even boot if that is enabled). I exchanged a number of emails with their technical support which waas pretty crap - basically it was my fault or my hardware's fault - not theirs. They refused a refund on the Pro upgrade (since it doesn't actually manage to do anything that the free version doesn't) - which is against UK law (as I understand it if a compnay is trading in another country's market they are bound by the law of that country ... though how you enforce that I don't know).

My advice avoice CMS products altogether and in particular BounceBack Pro.

The other irritating thing was that when I uninstalled it it didn't completely uninstall and left a device driver still trying to load  (and failing) every startup. At first I thought it was something to do with the Seagate single button backup - but even when the drive was unplugged it still caused problems. In the end I had to track down the device in the registry and remove it manually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version