ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Acronis now does backup of individual files/folders

(1/5) > >>

j2callie:
I got here by way of the mention in Gizmo's newsletter and then went browsing around --found the Reviews and an article about Backup (thanks, nice review). Clicked on the link to the recommended imaging software and found out their latest version now has document backup as well.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Now if only they had a member discount .... maybe you should review the review and move them up the list. ??

Callie

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for pointing that out and welcome.

Have to say though if you want file level backup Acronis isn't the software you want as it has extremely basic and limited functionality. I use Acronis for partition level backup and there it works fine.

Have a look at Genie Backup Manager Pro if you want to do file level backup or even Windows Backup (included for free with Windows 200/XP) which has far better functionality than Acronis.

There is a 50% discount for site members on Genie Backup Pro, you can read a review here

f0dder:
Acronis has had file-level backup for a while... and I agree with Carol that it's pretty basic. If it only didn't sometimes confuse what to include in an incremental backup, it would suit my needs perfectly though (but it doesn't, and thus sometimes a daily incremental backup is a couple of gigabytes - ouch.)

superboyac:
I have a question:

I want to keep files and folders backup up, BUT I don't want to keep it in some sort of image format or archived format.  I want the files and folders to appear exactly the same on the backup drive as the orginal drive, so that when I take the backup drive somewhere else, the files can be accessed just like normal.  I guess what I'm asking for is file synchronization between drives.  It sounds like Acronis doesn't do this, but does Genie do it?

mouser:
superboyac, almost no "backup" programs do this.
what you want is a synchronization program.
there are some that have been recommended before, though i'm not familiar with them.

back to acronis:
actually i dont care about file level backup in an imaging program, but what i would LOVE is the ability to make a drive image except specify certain folders to IGNORE.  when are we going to get that feature??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version