ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (13/19) > >>

superboyac:
OK, I'll try it out for another week and see what happens.  It could be the websites I'm visiting...if java, flash is not supported, that explains why those don't work.  I also tried mainly discussion forums, and those have pretty intense page loading stuff going on versus a normal site.

I removed most of the apps I downloaded since I read some caused problems.  They were not very good anyway, most of them didn't work as expected, and a lot of them were really made for WP7.

And regarding the videos...I think my problem is just that they are big videos.  The crazy thing is it looked like zero progress was being made with the uploads whenever I checked on the phone, but now I check skydrive and see that a lot of the files have been synced just fine.  So it could be just the phone's interface...not very helpful in letting you know what is going on.

The other thing about the videos is that a 1080p video is a large thing.  A 2-minute recording is like 200-300MB.  And the phone needs to first convert the file to mp4 before uploading.  This is all pretty heavy stuff, so no wonder it takes a while.  It's doing it on a mobile processor, so i get that. heck, my desktop will need some seconds to do the same with it's fully loaded specs.

superboyac:
ok allen...quick test (if you don't mind):
how long does it take you to load www.latimes.com ?
For me, it takes about 10 seconds for 90% of the page to load, and another 30-60 seconds for the last few bits, maybe 10% of the progress bar.  Clicking the first article...pretty much the same story.  This is with LTE and 4/5 bars enabled.

allen:
It loaded instantly. Oh, I had the mobile version setting enabled (I only have 1G of data :)

The full version of the site... the progress bar was at half and the text visible maybe two seconds in, then the bar filled up and it took a few more seconds before it stopped loading. The whole process probably was 15 or 20 seconds, tops. By comparison, it wasn't much faster in Chrome on my desktop. Granted, this was over WiFi, but we're not comparing ISP's here :)

I clicked through for a while and any given story was fully readable within 2-4 seconds, there still was some loading time after that varying from 15 to 30 seconds but it's just that crap in the sidebar being pulled in by AJAX.

Switching to 4g (3 bars, I don't think LTE?) slowed it down a little bit but still faster that your 30-60 seconds. I still could read the article within 3-5 seconds.

superboyac:
It loaded instantly. Oh, I had the mobile version setting enabled (I only have 1G of data :)

The full version of the site... the progress bar was at half and the text visible maybe two seconds in, then the bar filled up and it took a few more seconds before it stopped loading. The whole process probably was 15 or 20 seconds, tops. By comparison, it wasn't much faster in Chrome on my desktop. Granted, this was over WiFi, but we're not comparing ISP's here :)

I clicked through for a while and any given story was fully readable within 2-4 seconds, there still was some loading time after that varying from 15 to 30 seconds but it's just that crap in the sidebar being pulled in by AJAX.

Switching to 4g (3 bars, I don't think LTE?) slowed it down a little bit but still faster that your 30-60 seconds. I still could read the article within 3-5 seconds.
-allen (November 19, 2012, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting.  Thanks, seems like mine is fine.  I'll go back to mobile versions, maybe those are better.

[edit]
mobile versions are not bad!  faster.  And really, they're basically the desktop versions without the ads.

allen:
Yes, for news and information based sites I always opt for the mobile version. Straight to the point, less crap -- and now that my data plan is tiny I appreciate them all the more. I bet your load times double if you've got a movie converting and uploading!

By the way how is the video filming on it? How does it compare to other devices you've used? Nokia really hyped that camera, but I don't have a benchmark to compare it against really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version