ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (8/19) > >>

superboyac:
Some info about the new WP8 OS:
you can't use osbuilder because this rom isn't built like other winCE's roms (wm6.x, wp7). This rom has got his own filesystem (I think it should be ReFS), and his own structure. You have to wait because some developers are digging into it. Right now we only know that the system structure is similar to a Windows PC, even drivers are in sys format (this is a bad news for those who are waiting a porting to older devices).
--- End quote ---
The bolded is what I'm thinking about.  What does that mean for file/folder transferring opportunities?

f0dder:
What does that mean for file/folder transferring opportunities?-superboyac (November 15, 2012, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing :)

The ROM is the firmware/OperatingSystem image - doesn't have anything to do with the user-accessible filesystem on the device (even if same filesystems might be involved). And even the filesystem invovled doesn't really matter much, since data access APIs aren't coupled to the filesystem.

The real problem is whether applications are allowed access to files, or if they can only access their own little islands of data like on iOS.

superboyac:
To answer my own question:
To update the Windows Phone OS, go to Settings-->Phone Update
http://youtu.be/ydZVgez94rA

f0dder:
SuperBoy, are WinPhone8 upgrades through your carrier, or directly from MS? (I'd suppose the former).

For android, you get upgrades from the carrier, which pretty much sucks - lots of them install bloated crap (like the should-be-lined-up-and-shot Windows OEMs), and don't deliver a lot of updates. Of course one can root the device and uninstall unofficial (and superior?) firmware, which is a nice option the closed ecosystems still have, but... bleh :)

superboyac:
SuperBoy, are WinPhone8 upgrades through your carrier, or directly from MS? (I'd suppose the former).

For android, you get upgrades from the carrier, which pretty much sucks - lots of them install bloated crap (like the should-be-lined-up-and-shot Windows OEMs), and don't deliver a lot of updates. Of course one can root the device and uninstall unofficial (and superior?) firmware, which is a nice option the closed ecosystems still have, but... bleh :)
-f0dder (November 15, 2012, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know for sure, but I think it's coming straight from MS.  I say that because the option is in the Settings menu, which is default for any windows 8 phone.  If it was coming from Nokia, I think it would have been a special Nokia or ATT app like they have several of on the phone already.

Also, since Microsoft worked much more closely with the phone manufacturers compared to Android, I don't think that kind of weird delays with updates will happen.  Android is crazy...different phones get updates months apart, some never get certain updates at all, it's a little ridiculous.  That's another one of Windows' great trademarks and I hope they don't get rid of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version