ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (4/19) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm still waiting for Sprint to get their head out of their ass and offer some proper W8 phones. But for my current W7 phone the office mobile's Outlook tied to exchange does great for scheduled calendar events - I'm hoping/assuming that hasn't changed) - When a scheduled event pops up it plays a sound and a quick glance tells me what it's on about. I don't really need to swipe the phone open it's just there on the lock screen to snooze or dismiss.

How is the camera on the 920? I couldn't care less about the purest nitpicking about maximum bla-bla-bla ... I just want to know if the thing will take a descent picture that will still look right when it gets to a desktop. My current W7 HTC Aspire's performance is less than stellar in that regard.

Daleus:
Thanks for the in-depth reviews.

I don't use a Smart/Super phone as I've never felt the need.  I *do* have a flip open cel phone that's over 6 years old and while the local phone co. says it's alright if I don't upgrade, that doesn't stop corporate head marketeers from sending me a monthly text message to encourage me to trade up.  I suspect they will eventually notify me they are no longer supporting my old POS. ;)

So, I read these sorts of threads with great interest so that when the time comes, I can make a reasonably informed choice.

Thanks for the effort!

allen:
I'm still waiting for Sprint to get their head out of their ass and offer some proper W8 phones. But for my current W7 phone the office mobile's Outlook tied to exchange does great for scheduled calendar events - I'm hoping/assuming that hasn't changed) - When a scheduled event pops up it plays a sound and a quick glance tells me what it's on about. I don't really need to swipe the phone open it's just there on the lock screen to snooze or dismiss.

How is the camera on the 920? I couldn't care less about the purest nitpicking about maximum bla-bla-bla ... I just want to know if the thing will take a descent picture that will still look right when it gets to a desktop. My current W7 HTC Aspire's performance is less than stellar in that regard.
-Stoic Joker (November 14, 2012, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've never used my phone with Exchange but as near as I can tell mail hasn't changed moving from WP7 to WP8. Those screen waking "toast" notifications are still in play -- much to the chagrin of some who feel it's a serious security/privacy issue.

The camera is fantastic. The way it stabilizes and compensates for my shaky hands is amazing, which also allows it to keep the shutter open longer in poor lighting making it likely the best low light camera phone on the market. I've seen some complain that images taken in good light are a bit washed out... nothing that can't be fixed with a firmware update. I think it's largely people who were hoping "Nokia PureView" would allow them to give up their SLR. It's still the best in-phone camera I've ever used.

Just took this - if you look closely, it wouldn't hurt to apply a little sharpness I guess.

Stoic Joker:

-Stoic Joker (November 14, 2012, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've never used my phone with Exchange but as near as I can tell mail hasn't changed moving from WP7 to WP8. Those screen waking "toast" notifications are still in play -- much to the chagrin of some who feel it's a serious security/privacy issue.-allen (November 14, 2012, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was wondering if that aspect would come up. Personally I'm not worried about it - and love the feature for quick glance info. To me it's really more a matter of how securely you carry the phone. Leaving your phone laying around where some passerby can read toast mesages is just plain foolish ... It's not the phones job to protect people from themselves. If something is kept in ones pocket, it ain't gonna get lost (or read by anyone). If that same thing is laid down in various places every time one moves ... well (duh..!) it's just a matter of time before it gets lost (or "leaks" something it shouldn't have).

The camera is fantastic. The way it stabilizes and compensates for my shaky hands is amazing, which also allows it to keep the shutter open longer in poor lighting making it likely the best low light camera phone on the market. I've seen some complain that images taken in good light are a bit washed out... nothing that can't be fixed with a firmware update. I think it's largely people who were hoping "Nokia PureView" would allow them to give up their SLR. It's still the best in-phone camera I've ever used.

Just took this - if you look closely, it wouldn't hurt to apply a little sharpness I guess.-allen (November 14, 2012, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That'll work.

Thanks.

allen:
I'm in the same boat as you, I like the feature. I only mentioned it because I'd been perusing the support forum and it's a pretty big issue to a few very vocal users. It was actually a mildly amusing thread -- One side pretty much word for word what you said about physical security while the other side yells back about cockamamy workarounds and complacent users who stand for this issue still being present in WP8. . . both sides have their merits, I suppose. I'm just one of those complacent users whose needs happen to be met. Lucky me.

I really like the camera. darn wasps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version