ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (10/19) > >>

allen:
I hadn't realized you could drag stuff directly to the device either, I assumed you couldn't as was the case with every other zune/post-zune device they made. While trying to find out if the Desktop WP app was better than the metro one, I found this handy reference.

I haven't transferred anything over yet as I've been trying to give the Xbox Music experience a go. I let it scan and match my library on one pc and magically most of my music is available to stream on my phone and laptop. The music player needs a little work before it's up to the standard Zune set for seemless use/navigation but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the setup. Granted, at some point I'll need to figure out the most convenient way to actually put music on the device rather than stream it.

As for jumping to conclusions... we're all trying to feel our way through. Windows Phone does things differently. Even coming from Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8 is its own thing.

superboyac:
I just figured out how to link duplicate contacts on the phone.  Another "duh" moment.  I gotta say, it's very easy and elegant.  Nice.

Carol Haynes:
Think I will stick with Blackberry phone (while they are around) and Android tablet.

Really don't want to get locked into the MS ecosystem any more than I want to be locked into the Apple ecosystem. Can't see any advantage for me in either case whereas I plug my phone or tablet into a USB port and access all my files and folders on both.

If everything is cloudbased on the WinRT phones what is the bandwidth usage like? Many UK carriers really limit your bandwidth or charge a fortune (and anyway I don't get 3G where I live/work so any cloud based activity is basically pretty broken - dog slow and times out a lot on GPRS).

superboyac:
Carol, I'm with you in spirit, but obviously I have succumbed to the ecosystem for now.  It's not as bad as I expected.  I'm predominantly a Windows user, so having my phone be a part of the ecosystem wasn't much of a problem at all.  Now, with Apple, I had issues because none of my workflow was part of the Apple ecosystem, so it wasn't that convenient for me, just more work basically.
As far as bandwidth, the phone has options for certain things so you won't waste bandwidth.  Like you can set it to not download high res pictures, and it will warn you if you are about to stream a video.  So i think the bandwidth is fine.
Also, there aren't that many apps and features yet, so there isn't all that much happening with the cloud currently for me.  The main thing I've noticed as far as the MS ecosystem is that it ties all the contacts on the phone together automatically: facebook, google, hotmail/skydrive.  And I may be wrong, but the MS ecosystem seems to be better for a professional workflow than Apple's is.

Furthermore:
I let my coworker play with the phone today, and he has the Samsung Galaxy S3 (top of the line Android phone currently).  He felt that the Lumia 920 was better made than the Samsung, it's just about the same quality as the previous iphones I'd say.  he also liked and noticed how much better the touch response is (also, IMO, as good or better than iphone).  Android is the worst for touch response, I'm quite certain of that.  So in other words, he was very impressed with the phone.

It's just a question of apps right now.  If a decent app selection was available, I think the Windows Phone has iphone and android beat.  Now my little sister did NOT like the windows phone, but she is also not a computer person at all, and doesn't need many features at all (in other words, the ideal apple customer).

superboyac:
Man, ok so now I know what I really am waiting for...
Let's get some cool info on the live tiles already!  Enough with the ridiculous super-minimalism.  Freaking A...let's use the space we have.  These phones are already short on real estate with the pixels, there's no need to get crazy with the minimalist stuff that has taken hold the last decade.

So i hope some people develop cool and useful live tile information.  I found one that shows the battery level which is nice because (again!) for some odd reason MS decided to hide all those notifications on the tops of phone screens (wifi signal level, lte signal level, battery level, you know those little icons).  So every time you want to check the battery level or something, you have to swipe down to make them appear.  To me, this is minimalism taken too far.  Just show those things, they are things we are always interested in seeing when we get look at the phone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version