ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

<< < (6/19) > >>

40hz:
Out of curiosity, does the Win8 phone have a desktop app similar to iTunes that allows you to do minor admin type things to it, or does everything need to be done on the device itself?

superboyac:
Out of curiosity, does the Win8 phone have a desktop app similar to iTunes that allows you to do minor admin type things to it, or does everything need to be done on the device itself?
-40hz (November 15, 2012, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was reading the forums last night, and I thought people mentioned something like that.  But I never found out what it was.  Zune desktop?  Windows Phone desktop?

[edit]
found something in beta:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop
works with Windows 7.  Not sure what it does, doubt it does anything actually good.

allen:
-40hz (November 15, 2012, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sync is one place they really dropped the ball moving from Windows 7/Windows Phone 7 to 8. The way WP7 synchronized with Zune was excellent and could be set to automatically do so over WiFi when charging and idle. The Windows 8 RT style app for Windows Phone is a joke. You can use it to push music to your device and download photos but it requires a USB connection . . . backwards progress. I'm guessing the app superboyac linked to is just a normal desktop version of the same halfbaked sync features but I'll install it and see.

Microsoft has mentioned on more than one occasion that they ran out of time with the release, so hopefully what we're seeing isn't a vision of the future but an awkward transitional period.

superboyac:
It does feel like a transitional period.  I'll be very interested in developments with file transferring between the phone and pc.  That WP7 wifi sync described above sounds great, I hope they bring it back.  Or I hope someone else will make a 3rd party app for stuff like that.  Am I crazy in believing that Windows is interested in giving developers a flexible platform to program in?  Or are they limiting what you can and can't program?  For example, apple won't let you do any programs that mess with the alarm clock features.  Is Nokia/MS going to be like that also, where developers won't be allowed to touch certain low level OS features, like stuff in the control panel, wifi settings, file/folder exploring, etc.?

40hz:
Microsoft has mentioned on more than one occasion that they ran out of time with the release
-allen (November 15, 2012, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

What does that mean? Seriously.

This is a commercial retail product. Not some F/OSS or volunteer project being run on a shoestring.  >:(

With pockets as deep, and resources as vast, as Microsoft has -  how can they even "go there" with a comment like that? :-\

You know how Apple always used to say "Think Different"? :D

Maybe the new consumer slogan needs to be: Demand Better. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version