ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, I got it: Nokia Lumia 920, Windows 8

(1/19) > >>

superboyac:
So if anyone is interested, I'll be posting my thoughts here.  First impressions:
--i like the interface adn touch response better than android and possibly better than ios.  it's crisp like the ios, but probably more confusing.  it's more responsive than android and cleaner.  i know, that's pretty vague.
--it's not as customizable (yet) as i would like.  i like the tiles a lot, but i don't know how to change the tile color (there doesn't seem to be a way other than changing ALL the tiles' colors at once).  Also, i'd like more ability to show what goes into the tiles.  like the gmail app shows the latest email and some of the first words...but there's enough space to show, say, the last 3 emails or more information.  I'd prefer more info showing.  But as usual, design people always want lots of blank space everywhere and as little info as possible.  so i'm hoping someone will come up with a hack or third party tool for this.

--mainly, what i would like is an app to tweak the interface of the device.  the basic functionality is fine so far for me, i don't do that much computing with my phone so it's going to be mainly for email, text, calling, browsing, a little reading...that's it.  and that's all fine (oh plus gps stuff of course).  But I'd really like some ability to change fonts, font size, size of titles...just nitty gritty theme tweaking.  i hope windows will allow for that, that's one of the great trademarks of windows.

superboyac:
Another thing I'm not seeing that I'm curious about: there's no file manager on the windows phone.  i know that's not  big deal to 99% of the users, but i'd still like to have one just like a regular os.  but i guess i'd be expecting too much.

i just linked skydrive to it, i'll play around with it this week and see how it goes for work/professional situations.

f0dder:
there's no file manager on the windows phone.  i know that's not  big deal to 99% of the users, but i'd still like to have one just like a regular os.  but i guess i'd be expecting too much.-superboyac (November 12, 2012, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed you are - you're not supposed to access files. Heck, you're not even supposed to know about files - each app is it's own little data island. Thanks crApple, for infecting Microsoft with this line of thought.

If you want a tiny snip of freedom and access to your own data, you have to go Android.

Tuxman:
Aren't there third-party file managers?

40hz:
@SB - thx for "taking point" on this one.

I'd be extremely interested in any news/experiences/headaches you'd care to share.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version