ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Aviary advanced suite now officially offline

<< < (2/2)

Edvard:
That's the thing, I understand if they weren't making money, I understand that Flash is not the technology of the future for this kind of thing, and I understand if they wanted to reduce and refocus.
But to simply pull the plug?  Rather on the rude side, IMO...

This reminds me about this thread. Same basic deal, just about open source and not commercial/proprietary.
-Renegade (November 11, 2012, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

The difference, and I mean THE difference is that if Aviary were open source, it would never go away.  It may languish and stagnate without a dedicated team of maintainers, and users would complain ad nauseum, but it would never be simply and suddenly GONE.  Plenty of caveats either way. 

Renegade:
This reminds me about this thread. Same basic deal, just about open source and not commercial/proprietary.
-Renegade (November 11, 2012, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

The difference, and I mean THE difference is that if Aviary were open source, it would never go away.  It may languish and stagnate without a dedicated team of maintainers, and users would complain ad nauseum, but it would never be simply and suddenly GONE.  Plenty of caveats either way. 
-Edvard (November 12, 2012, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply anything there. Just that the "closing up shop" case was similar.

You have an excellent point about open source still being available after the doors are shuttered.

Edvard:
Don't worry, I didn't take it badly, just pointing out the difference.

What I mean about caveats, however, is just what was pointed out in the other thread.  An Open Source project may never be gone, but dropped projects are embarassingly common.  Much of Sourceforge.net could rightly be called an elephant's graveyard for abandoned code...  :-\

Renegade:
Don't worry, I didn't take it badly, just pointing out the difference.

What I mean about caveats, however, is just what was pointed out in the other thread.  An Open Source project may never be gone, but dropped projects are embarassingly common.  Much of Sourceforge.net could rightly be called an elephant's graveyard for abandoned code...  :-\
-Edvard (November 13, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I totally hear you there.

I am planning on dropping some projects, but not willing to go back through them and clean up comments and code so that I would be comfortable releasing it into the public domain or GPL or whatever. They will simply die. And entirely because I just do not have the time for them.

I will make them available to people by email through request. But only to people that I know and actually care about, e.g. DC members, etc. For the rest, well, yeah... It sucks. :( And I hate to do it. But I've carried some projects for long enough. I can't continue with them.

I perfectly well understand both sides there. Effort is work. And you only have so much time.

What pisses me off are the users that complain to people that give them things for free. It's rude and ignorant. Nobody has a "right" to your labour or efforts. Assuming that you do is perverse. A bit more thankfulness would be in order. The commercial side... well.. that's a different matter...

40hz:
What pisses me off are the users that complain to people that give them things for free. It's rude and ignorant. Nobody has a "right" to your labour or efforts. Assuming that you do is perverse. A bit more thankfulness would be in order.
-Renegade (November 13, 2012, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that, in a nutshell, sums up what will always be the single greatest threat to continuation of the F/OSS model: Ingratitude. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version