ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: "Filegrab"-like functionality integrated into the file explorer.

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
Humm, I wonder if it would be OK for you to post the program somewhere - as far as I can tell, while pcmag requires money for it now, it used to be entirely freeware...

I wouldn't mind trying to cook up a solution, but I'm not going to pay $8 to do it :)

IainB:
Yes, I think it's in the Public Domain - it was given out free by PC Magazine and/or on their website.

f0dder:
Here's a first attempt.

Put the SendToFileGrab.exe 'somewhere reasonable', then in xplorer2 go to "Customize->User Commands->Add new...". Choose whatever name you want, an optional hotkey, and for the "Description" field (which should really have been called "Command" O_o), add something along the lines of ">D:\src\autoit\SendToFileGrab.exe $A" (yep, the larger-than character is required).

The script currently requires FileGrab to be started - starting it if not already running is something to be added if the script otherwise works for you :)

IainB:
@f0dder: Many thanks! That works a treat!    :Thmbsup:
It runs with the correct/expected results when FileGrab is running and when it's not running.

Two things:

* 1. FileGrab run status/location: To ensure that it is always running, I'd do one more thing myself if it was in AHK (but I don't know AutoIT), and that is an if/else something like:
Spoiler   IfWinExist Untitled - FileGrab
      WinActivate
   else
      Run C:\UTIL\ZiffDavis\FileGrab\FILEGRAB.EXE

Would you be able to add that into the script, and (maybe better?) as well pick up the FileGrab.exe path as a string variable (parameter) provided in the xplorer² Command Description string? That would make the script independent of both the run state of FileGrab.exe and its location.

* 2. Focus: After the Paste has been applied, could you force the focus of the FileGrab window to come to the front so it is ready to be used/edited? At the moment it stays in the background.

By the way, I had a look at your SendToFileGrab.au3 script, and I think I might try at some stage to translate it into an AHK script as an AHK exercise lesson. (I don't really want to learn AutoIT until I've got some mastery over AHK.)

Thanks again.

f0dder:
Sure thing, I'll have a look at the changes after work today - I had already planned adding those, since they're required for the script to really be useful, just wanted to know if this was what you had in mind before spending more time on it :)

However, I think it might be better to define the path to FileGrab.exe in an INI file or similar, rather than on the commandline - there's a limit to how long commandlines can be (depending on Windows version as well as the API used to start the new program), and xplorer2 has to pass full file paths to the script.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version