topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival  (Read 4187 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Sears steals patented tool from an American and competes with the same tool, only made in China.
http://finance.yahoo...rival-004542621.html

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I feel sorry for that guy.

Seems like the reality is that large companies can do whatever they want against individuals because regular people often don't have the resources to get justice. Yet another reason to limit the "rights" of companies/legal entities.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Just saw a Sears commercial on TV for the knockoff wrench :down:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Just saw a Sears commercial on TV for the knockoff wrench :down:

Shameless.  >:(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:45 AM »
The company that makes the Max Axess wrench and other tools for Craftsman, the Apex Tool Group, is being acquired by Bain Capital, the company founded by Mitt Romney, in a $1.6 billion deal.

Throughout the presidential campaign, Bain was criticized on the grounds that it encouraged outsourcing by companies it buys at the expense of American workers. Apex makes many of its tools overseas. A company spokesman referred all questions to Sears.

Figures!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Sears has done this sort of thing before.

Sears has lost out doing this sort of thing before.

This time out however, what they have done has greater public exposure thanks to the Internet. And it's so much easier to "bell the cat" than it used to be.

caught.jpg

Given the current political and economic environment, I don't think Sears can possibly win this one. Especially since Craftsman is a name brand in the US geographic regions and occupations hardest hit by the very thing Sears just did with this guy's invention.

Nope. Sears can't win this one. Simply can't. Even if they prevail in court - they still lose.

My only hope is that this gentleman isn't forced to settle with one of those "gag" clauses attached or have to agree to renounce his original claim (i.e. forgive Sears) in order to get it.

The single worst habit the US legal system has gotten into is allowing businesses to do something wrong, and then let them "consent" and pay a fine without being required to admit any wrongdoing. When you have deep pockets, paying wergild is the equivalent of the "get out of jail free" card in the Monopoly game.

And as my grandfather used to say: It's not a real problem if you can buy your way out of it.
 8)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:32 AM by 40hz »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Sears has done this sort of thing before.

Sears has lost out doing this sort of thing before.

This time out however, what they have done has greater public exposure thanks to the Internet. And it's so much easier to "bell the cat" than it used to be.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Given the current political and economic environment, I don't think Sears can possibly win this one. Especially since Craftsman is a name brand in the US geographic regions and occupations hardest hit by the very thing Sears just did with this guy's invention.

Nope. Sears can't win this one. Simply can't. Even if they prevail in court - they still lose.

My only hope is that this gentleman isn't forced to settle with one of those "gag" clauses attached or have to agree to renounce his original claim (i.e. forgive Sears) in order to get it.

The single worst habit the US legal system has gotten into is allowing businesses to do something wrong, and then let them "consent" and pay a fine without being required to admit any wrongdoing. When you have deep pockets, paying wergild is the equivalent of the "get out of jail free" card in the Monopoly game.

And as my grandfather used to say: It's not a real problem if you can buy your way out of it.

+1  EXACTLY!