ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Privacy solution for external USB drive?

<< < (3/5) > >>

rjbull:
I'm pretty sure I've seen thumb drives with built-in thumbprint recognition systems, but that might be more security than you want.

patthecat:
You can try out BlowFish Advanced CS
http://www.hotpixel.net/software.html

Multiple algorithms, secure delete/wipe,
settings stored in .ini file, folder support, and
rename files support.

But the most interesting features I think are:
1. View Files - Does not alter actual file because it decrypts in a user defiend temp directory and wipes it upon exit.
2. Work With Files - decrypt, run and work in associated app, and then re-encrypt after exiting associated app.  No need to re-enter password for re-encryption.

It is these 2 features that make BFACS the utility tool I use for encrypting files/folders on my portable USB drives.

It does not have the option to hide files.  However, you can change the file attributes yourself and tell BFACS not to alter file attributes.

patrick

JeffK:
I am not having much luck.  I found that Folder Lock is has a driver which causes problems with some programs including Perfect Disk and Spybot, both of which I use.  The vendor says a fix is on the way but it has been a while coming.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I am trying some of them especially Blowfish Advanced CS which looks promising.

Jeff

patthecat:
Jeff,

I just remembered something I tried a few months ago.  It's a utility that came with a usb key I purchased (Swissbit/Victorinox).  The utility is called TravelItEasy which is a rebranded of the software from Cososys.  I looked real good - it creates a hidden partition on the USB key which you can / can;t see depending whether you typed in the correct password in the utility.
Anyway. I so wanted to use this but that particular utility only works for a specific brand of usb key.  I think it looks either at the USB serial number or the USB controller it uses.

So, I went to Cososys.com site to try out their versions of LockItEasy and CarryItEasy but was not able to get it to work properly on my other usb key.  Did not try too hard cause it was around that time I saw Blowfish Advanced CS.  So you may have better luck trying out LockItEasy.

Ooops, before I posted this message I looked quickly at their website.  You need admin rights to the computer. in order to use their software.

Let us know which utility you end up using.

pat

JeffK:
I did some testing and while it is easy to make PerfectDisk play up with Folder Lock installed I couldn't get Spybot to misbehave, so something may have been done by one or both vendors.

However because of this incompatibility and the possibility of losing protected files I decided to give purchasing Folder Lock a miss until the problem is solved.  The vendor's estimate for a solution is mid-May.

I also found that my comment about the speed of Portable Vault above seems to miss the mark as a retest of it's big brother, Digital Vault, was not slow at all.

However for my one off needs I will, for the time being, go with patthecat's recommendation of Blowfish Advanced CS.  I have been trying it out and it is one of those applications where the more you look the more functionality you find.  It occupies less that 500kb on a USB drive.  It's fast and it does what is, for all intents and purposes, on the fly decryption.

Thanks patthecat.

Jeff

(PS we posted at the same time.  I'll have a look at those apps as well.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version