ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sign of the times for OpenSource software?

<< < (10/11) > >>

f0dder:
Boom! Nailed it! OpenSSH is THE go-to for that. Any time you look into the topic... you ALWAYS end up with OpenSSH pretty much no matter what. Pretty much every time I ever need to do some kind of encryption, even if I'm using a third party component, I end up using OpenSSH.-Renegade (November 10, 2012, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Do you mean OpenSSH or OpenSSL, renny?

40hz:
Just for reference, there's another post over here (DC) about the same basic deal in the commercial/proprietary world.
-Renegade (November 11, 2012, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

The significant difference being that since Aviary is a closed proprietary product, once the developers elected to kick it to the curb, that was the end of it. If it were F/OSS there would have at least been the hope other interested developers might have adopted it so it could live on. Or that somebody else could have hosted it and kept the current functionality and community intact.

Renegade:
Just for reference, there's another post over here (DC) about the same basic deal in the commercial/proprietary world.
--- End quote ---

The significant difference being that since Aviary is a closed proprietary product, once the developers elected to kick it to the curb, that was the end of it. If it were F/OSS there would have at least been the hope other interested developers might have adopted it so it could live on. Or that somebody else could have hosted it and kept the current functionality and community intact.
-40hz (November 11, 2012, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahem...

Yes. That is EXACTY why I posted the cross-post. ;)

It was to make a point there.

;)

Boom! Nailed it! OpenSSH is THE go-to for that. Any time you look into the topic... you ALWAYS end up with OpenSSH pretty much no matter what. Pretty much every time I ever need to do some kind of encryption, even if I'm using a third party component, I end up using OpenSSH.-Renegade (November 10, 2012, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
-f0dder (November 11, 2012, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, yeah.... Let's just go make fun of Renegade because he posts drunk all the time and makes stupid mistakes/typos~! :P ;D

This time around, I'm blaming some pretty damn good Australian wine! :D

40hz:
--- End quote ---

-40hz (November 11, 2012, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahem...

Yes. That is EXACTY why I posted the cross-post. ;)

It was to make a point there.

;)-Renegade (November 11, 2012, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. I got it. I just wanted to put my two cents in to point out the obvious in case anybody missed it. ;D

--- End quote ---
-f0dder (November 11, 2012, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, yeah.... Let's just go make fun of Renegade because he posts drunk all the time and makes stupid mistakes/typos~! :P ;D
--- End quote ---

Ok!

Nyah! Nyah! Renegade! Yah! Boo! Sucks!  ;) ;D

This time around, I'm blaming some pretty damn good Australian wine! :D

--- End quote ---

Really? I'm open to recommendations. (My GF and I both like Aussie wines in general.) What were you having? :)

f0dder:

This time around, I'm blaming some pretty damn good Australian wine! :D-Renegade (November 11, 2012, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll make fun of you for drinking aussie wines - but as long as you're staying away from french, we can still be friends :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version