ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sign of the times for OpenSource software?

<< < (8/11) > >>

Tuxman:
I would not say Apache is a good example of quality. The reason why it became so popular is that it has unique features like .htaccess support and MOD_REWRITE.

Renegade:
I would not say Apache is a good example of quality. The reason why it became so popular is that it has unique features like .htaccess support and MOD_REWRITE.
-Tuxman (November 10, 2012, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, as the most popular web server, they're probably doing something right, and probably good enough to run most web sites. (I primarily use IIS.)

Tuxman:
The most popular daily paper in Germany is the "BILD", some rainbow press which is full of lies, except the sports part.
Don't mix up popularity and quality.

40hz:
Projects which change this dynamic (either having QA provided by a company as a donation, roping in users en-masse for QA, or changing the dynamics and status balance with "marathons" or better recognition for QA) end up beating commercial software.
-iphigenie (November 10, 2012, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Are there any?
-Tuxman (November 10, 2012, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Servers.

Take your pick.

----------------------------------

Alternatively there's the QC/QA  approach adopted by something like OpenBSD which I'd characterize as a challenge or bounty system. The developers there do their thing, and then put their work out in the wild with the challenge to break it. Ongoing and completely independent code auditing is one of the trademarks of the OpenBSD development process.

I think it's very telling that OpenBSD is arguably the single most secure OS ever created - and very likely to remain the only ultra-secure OS available to the general public.

If there's anything more secure than OpenBSD, the NSA is keeping it for themselves. ;D

A similar approach was used when developing their OpenSSH companion project. OpenSSH is the single most secure implementation of the SSH protocol currently available. It is also the single most deployed version last I heard.

Renegade:
A similar approach was used when developing their OpenSSH companion project. OpenSSH is the single most secure implementation of the SSH protocol currently available. It is also the single most deployed version last I heard.
-40hz (November 10, 2012, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Boom! Nailed it! OpenSSH is THE go-to for that. Any time you look into the topic... you ALWAYS end up with OpenSSH pretty much no matter what. Pretty much every time I ever need to do some kind of encryption, even if I'm using a third party component, I end up using OpenSSH.

For OpenBSD - dunno - I don't know it, but I'll take your word for it. I have no experience with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version