topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kim Dotcom 400 Million Dollar Plan for NZ Free Internet!  (Read 5363 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Kim Dotcom 400 Million Dollar Plan for NZ Free Internet!
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:35 AM »
No quotes for this one... It's such a jaw-dropper, that you have to read it yourself.

http://theintelhub.c...-with-free-internet/

Free Internet? Wow. Ambitious!

I really like this guy more and more all the time! :D

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kim Dotcom 400 Million Dollar Plan for NZ Free Internet!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31 AM »
^Fun idea that does a lot to really put the whole issue into sharp focus and clearly expose what is really behind the current agenda.

Too bad. Because what he's proposing is soooo not gonna happen.

There's no national government that will let him do that. None. Zip. Nada. And his network has to be physically located somewhere.

Hmm...maybe it's time to get really serious about opening portals to alternate dimensions?

In the immortal words of the poet E.E.Cummings:

listen: there's a hell
          of a good universe next door; let's go

Works for me. I'm in! :Thmbsup: ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:33 AM »
No quotes for this one... It's such a jaw-dropper, that you have to read it yourself.

http://theintelhub.c...-with-free-internet/

Free Internet? Wow. Ambitious!

I really like this guy more and more all the time! :D

What does he get out of it? 400 million is a lot for a "present" to give a country! (In other news, does operating megaupload make that much money? Or is someone else financing this for him?)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:49 PM »
What does he get out of it? 400 million is a lot for a "present" to give a country! (In other news, does operating megaupload make that much money? Or is someone else financing this for him?)

That's the 400 Million Dollar question- especially as part of the money is being fronted by 'silent investors'.  Of course, it could be national pride and philanthropy.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Yeah. I'd like to follow the money myself. Although there are enough self-styled mavericks (Shuttleworth, Sir Richard Branson, Turner, et al.) backing various social agendas who do have the financial resources and connections to either pull it off - or put a consortium together.

The only problem is it will paint a big red bullseye on the forehead of any major backer dumb enough to go public about funding it. Be interesting to see where the money would be kept too. It would be pretty easy to seize it under a variety of pretenses if it were banked in any of the usual "legit" places.

"Curioser and curioser," said Alice.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59 PM »
It would be pretty easy to seize it under a variety of pretenses if it were banked in any of the usual "legit" places.

Wouldn't a Swiss bank account be an option?  Or is that haven less of a haven these days? (Well, other than the fact that they used the organized crime card against him already?)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Or is that haven less of a haven these days?

Last I heard it was much less a haven than it used to be.

From what I've seen, the fabled Swiss neutrality only applies insofar as the Swiss can stay out of something. When their own national interests become involved, they are anything but neutral. There are also some treaties that have recently gone into effect which impact Swiss banking operations and policies.

Switzerland may be an independent nation politically. But it does a great deal of business with the US and EU. And much like the US with China, Switzerland is learning to bow to necessity and seek compromise whether it wants to or not.

About the only major financial institution that still is able to maintain virtual absolute secrecy while retaining an aura of legitimacy is the Istituto per le Opere di Religione or " Vatican Bank." And even they are having their share of scandals and problems lately.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:21 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I know about the 2009 renegotiations, but I thought those were only exceptions for things that basically affect large money transactions, i.e. the combining of Tax Evasion and Tax Fraud (where one of them was previously not covered- I forget which), Organized Crime, and one other exception.  Other than that, everything is covered by the 1934 accords and has mandatory prosecution if the information is revealed.  Not to say that enough pressure couldn't be placed on the Swiss, but this doesn't seem to be covered (or not covered better) by current exclusions.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:32 PM »
^Yup. But under the so-called "names deal" as relates to tax evasion, it doesn't take anywhere near as much as it used to.

Don't forget the neat little trick under federal law and the IRS code that makes all income derived from illegal activities taxable. And since crime related proceeds and transfers are seldom reported, almost any criminal act also entails some form of tax violation if money or property was involved.

And with some of the new homeland security legislation, who even knows what's illegal or not any more?

Lest we forget, they only nailed Al Capone on tax evasion. They were never able to get him on anything else. But it was still enough to effectively put him away for life when they were finished with him.

"The Dark Force is strong in the US Tax Code," says Yoda. "Fear it"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:38 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:41 PM »
"The Dark Force is strong in the US Tax Code," says Yoda. "Fear it"  ;D

That's one thing that I've learned that I don't think that some others realize.  NSA, CIA, FBI, DHS, etc. ... none of the alphabet soup agencies are as scary as the IRS.  They might not actively go looking in most cases... but when they get roused, there's few that can stand in their way.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:59 PM »
About the only major financial institution that still is able to maintain virtual absolute secrecy while retaining an aura of legitimacy is the Istituto per le Opere di Religione or " Vatican Bank."
Gotta love organized crime religion :)
- carpe noctem

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42 PM »

That's the 400 Million Dollar question- especially as part of the money is being fronted by 'silent investors'.  Of course, it could be national pride and philanthropy.

Naw, something is wrong there. We're missing the giant piece of this Combo Play. You don't get knocked around by the US Copyright Brigade, have your Cloud-File business destroyed, then go all "hey, let's give New Zealand Broadband!" without *some* tip point to the maneuver. Not for $400 Million.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Naw, something is wrong there. We're missing the giant piece of this Combo Play.

Maybe Bollywood thinks they found their entree to the western movie market?

$400 million? That's chump change, baby!  :P