topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any info/reviews of those tiny media players for TVs?  (Read 3390 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any info/reviews of those tiny media players for TVs?
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:51 PM »
We've seen those little media players coming out, usually in China, the last couple of years.  I was wondering if anyone could point me to some reviews (or personal comments) on these things.  Or maybe recommend a model to try.  i want to check one out.  If you can load up a usb stick or sd card with 8-16GB of video files, hook it up thru HDMI or component or VGA to a TV, and it works well, then that's a home run in my book.
Here's one I came across, but other than some specs, i couldn't find any reliable information about it yet:
http://usb.brando.co..._p02603c051d015.html
UUPMP002100_01_M.jpg
ZAP Mini 1080 Full HD Media Player
Product Code: UUPMP002100
ZAP Mini 1080 Full HD Media Player is a powerful media player which truly decodes, playback and outputs High Definition 1080p in the market. It allows you to play media files like the MKV, TS, M2TS, TP WMV, VOB, DAT, AVI, MPG, MP4, MOV, RM, RMVB, DIVX, XVID and FLV from the USB flash drive, USB HDD, USB storage device or SD(HC)/MS to HDTV screen. It's compact and light in size. It is a great gadget for you to share your videos and pictures with your family and friends.
Price: US$59.00

A video showing what something like this looks like:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any info/reviews of those tiny media players for TVs?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:07 PM »
So I just received the one above.  Now, there was a lot of flickering over the component connector on my TV, I'm guessing it's because my TV is extremely old (tube, curvy screen) and maybe there's a NTFS/PAL issue.  Anyway, I'm going to try with the HDMI connector now, it should work.

However, this little device is brilliant.  It definitely can play 1080p files off of any USB device connected to it.  And it's tiny!  Any file...mp4, avi, xvid, you name it.  And very smooth also.  $60.  Amazing.  All the media players offered in our country require streaming, not this guy.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:20 PM »
So I just received the one above.  Now, there was a lot of flickering over the component connector on my TV, I'm guessing it's because my TV is extremely old (tube, curvy screen) and maybe there's a NTFS/PAL issue.  Anyway, I'm going to try with the HDMI connector now, it should work.
Why on earth have you even tried component connectors when there's HDMI available?

However, this little device is brilliant.  It definitely can play 1080p files off of any USB device connected to it.  And it's tiny!  Any file...mp4, avi, xvid, you name it.  And very smooth also.  $60.  Amazing.  All the media players offered in our country require streaming, not this guy.
The WD TV boxes aren't available where you live? :)
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Why on earth have you even tried component connectors when there's HDMI available?
My TV doesn't have HDMI, that's why.  I'll be getting a new modern one soon.

Those WD TV boxes are fine, but don't appeal to me.  They do a lot of things that I like to do with more pieces because I like to build things myself.  i also like to find the cheapest and most effective alternatives so that I have something really nifty to recommend to people who don't have much money.  The chinese device is tiny, the size of a credit card, and extremely cheap for what it does, $60.  You can't beat that.  WD is not going to do that, and like most very large companies, they give you more than what you ask for so that you will be forced to pay more because what you asked for is not available.  When I want a box that can do streaming, play video files and photos, network, etc. then I will look to the WD TV devices...and only after I try building it myself and find it not worth it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Just tried it with the HDMI cable...flawless!  This thing is beautiful.  I'm getting it for everyone in my family.