ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Only 16GB Free on 32GB Surface

(1/4) > >>

wraith808:
Are you fscking kidding me?!?

Surface Disk Space FAQ

So *that's* why there's no 16GB Surface.  I can't believe that they would release this and just expect people to be OK with losing that much space.  They should have to advertise them as 16 and 45 GB instead of 32 and 64GB.

They just shot themselves in the foot before they even started the race. (I'm sure I mangled a metaphor or two somewhere in there)

Renegade:
If you're mangling any metaphors, maybe switch "foot" to "face". :D

On the plus side though, you can actually add storage space to it, which you can't with other devices. So, all things considered, you're still pretty much ahead, especially given how cheap storage is. Well, that is unless you buy it from Apple, in which case 16 GB is worth $100. :P

I'd much rather just spend $15 on more memory myself than spend $100 or $200 more for the device. Besides, having interchangeable memory is even better than having fixed memory.

allen:
This is the most egregious offense to date, but in general as the operating systems grow it's absurd to market devices based on physical space.  I don't really like marketing these things by one relatively inexpensive component. I'd rather you pay so much base price for a singularly named system (Say Surface with RT), and then you can add additional space when ordering. The base unit has 16 AVAILABLE gigs, add 16 more for x dollars.

One thing that I really like about RT is how Skydrive is integrated. If you're online, it's as seamless as browsing a local asset. I don't know about iOS/iCloud, but it's a lot tighter than anything I've seen by Google or Amazon. Between that and SD, I'd be fine with a 32->16 RT.

f0dder:
This does seem somewhat over the top - Windows needs to shrink, it has been bloating up like insane since (and including!) XP. Compared to Win7, 8 gigs for OS + Office + Apps doesn't sound all too bad, but it's still too much for a tablet OS. And wtf's up with 5 gigs for recovery? O_o

(That's enough space that it could include a full compressed recovery image... which in one way would be cool, since that would allow you to recover without having a PC available, but is simply too much space to waste on such a small device).

Can you uninstall Office and the other base apps?

TaoPhoenix:
If you're mangling any metaphors, maybe switch "foot" to "face". :D
-Renegade (November 05, 2012, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nah, they outsourced that. They hired someone to be shot in the face when something bad goes wrong.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version