topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any program to manually run startup programs?  (Read 8770 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Any program to manually run startup programs?
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Basically what I want is a program kind of like a startup delayer, but instead of just delaying everything by a set time, I would like this program to be the only thing to run at startup, and it would show a list of everything that would normally run at startup, and then allow me to manually run the program. (in which case it would then move it from the unstarted list to the started list or something like that) Of course, I would like all of windows' junk to startup automatically.

Is there a program that exists to do this?
[Insert really cool signature here]

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any program to manually run startup programs?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I know not exactly what you were asking for, but with startup delayer you can skip the delays and skip over anything that you have set to start up also.

I don't know of anything that does exactly what you ask, but it does sound interesting.  Would you then after ticking the ones that you want to start, then want them all to be spawned at the same time or in any particular order?  Or manually to be started after you select it?

(Not promising that I'm going to do it... just wondering as this sounds intriguing)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I want it to manually start each one when I click on it in the list

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Keeping a folder of shortcuts to your startup items is handy.
Not only if you want to start them manually but also to check to see if they are all running.
Sometimes I forget what I have enabled to run at startup.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56 PM »
how do you want to ID the programs to be started (manually, or detect them somehow)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Not exactly what you want. You have to manually set it up by dragging the shortcut you would normally put in StartUp folder onto DelayedCuts Gui. You can download from this page

You set the delay time for each item. The manual part is inverse of what you specified(but who knows? You might want to try it.)  As each program is ready to start a panel slides up telling the delay left in seconds. If you want to skip that item, double click the tray icon. Otherwise they all come up in order. I have all my hotkey programs start like this.  Just keeps them from starting simultaneously.  Where my program differs from many delay starters is it requires you to drag a shortcut onto the ListView Gui. That way you have all setting available. Command line, working directory, start minimized etc.. rather than just dragging an exe program from the shortcut to some delay mechanism.

Here's a screen shot of the ListView Gui

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Keeping a folder of shortcuts to your startup items is handy.
Not only if you want to start them manually but also to check to see if they are all running.
Sometimes I forget what I have enabled to run at startup.
Thats actually not a bad idea. Is there a program that can read what runs a startup, and add a shortcut to a folder, and then remove it from startup?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19 PM »
WinPatrol reads what runs at startup.
Along with delay, add and remove options.
But no export shortcuts to a folder deal, if that is what you mean.

I like that one Miles, good one!

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:21 PM »
I think I am just going to do it manually. I ran across a program that reads what runs at startup, and I'm just manually adding a shortcut to a folder, and then going to the program and telling it to not run at startup. I think I might prefer this method anyways, I have more control over what happens.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I use StartupManager.  There was some dustup over OpenCandy, but as they release a portable version and the source, I never dealt with that problem.  With the portable one you just extract and run.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I use StartupManager.  There was some dustup over OpenCandy, but as they release a portable version and the source, I never dealt with that problem.  With the portable one you just extract and run.
so much better looking than what I ran across!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:25 PM by nite_monkey »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26 AM »
I like that one Miles, good one!

Thanks. One reason I did it that way was to put programs that sit in the tray and monitor other stuff, towards the end. That way they don't catch a bunch of startup tray programs in their lists. When you delete an entry and want to adjust the times of the remaining apps you have to press F2 on each entry in the delay column. But in most cases there's less than a dozen in the list. Not that big a hardship. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:20 AM »
I kinda dread rebooting because I lose almost 10 minutes to MS Security Essentials. The bonus time losses occur when you Rightclick - New file - ______, and Rightclick - Send to _____. Plus Firefox and Open Office take a bunch of time to open the first time in after a boot as well.

I've skipped rebooting from updates until I had a couple in a row because it's so bad. : (

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:05 AM »
I kinda dread rebooting because I lose almost 10 minutes to MS Security Essentials. The bonus time losses occur when you Rightclick - New file - ______, and Rightclick - Send to _____. Plus Firefox and Open Office take a bunch of time to open the first time in after a boot as well.

I've skipped rebooting from updates until I had a couple in a row because it's so bad. : (

wow, that's bad - are you on windows 7 or XP?
Lucky enough win 7 still boots quite fast here (without OO, otherwise similar)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:08 AM »
How are you opening Firefox? Do you open to a session with multiple tabs? I don't do much with Tab Mix Plus. So I don't know if there's a hotkey to open a session. But it seems to respond much faster if you can separate the loading of the app from the loading of pages. I open to a blank page. Then I hit a button to open FVD Speed Dial. Admittedly I don't use sessions. But you could experiment with open to blank page then hitting a button to open last session.

That's the main reason I was using chromium. Even with it I opened to a blank page. But it was snappier than FF until the last couple of versions. Seems like 14 and later loaded much faster. I'm on 16.01 Waterfox now and 16.02 on the 32 bit machine.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Another possibility would be to use RunInTrayMod to delay loading FF minimized to tray. Then when you go to use it, it's already in ram.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19 AM »

wow, that's bad - are you on windows 7 or XP?
Lucky enough win 7 still boots quite fast here (without OO, otherwise similar)

I'm on a slightly quirky copy of XP - I made my funny "tag" because I have found a few obscure bugs that few other people seem to have... but the OS itself boots fine, then MS Sec. Ess. sucks up some 7 minutes trying to get a grip.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20 AM »
How are you opening Firefox? Do you open to a session with multiple tabs? I don't do much with Tab Mix Plus. So I don't know if there's a hotkey to open a session. But it seems to respond much faster if you can separate the loading of the app from the loading of pages. I open to a blank page. Then I hit a button to open FVD Speed Dial. Admittedly I don't use sessions. But you could experiment with open to blank page then hitting a button to open last session.

That's the main reason I was using chromium. Even with it I opened to a blank page. But it was snappier than FF until the last couple of versions. Seems like 14 and later loaded much faster. I'm on 16.01 Waterfox now and 16.02 on the 32 bit machine.

This is just a generic "click on icon and open a window" - no fancy sessions or anything. It just seems to take FF some30-45 seconds to get a handle on stuff and get going right after a cold boot.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Add-ons could be slowing it down on startup.
A Java enabled add-on was slowing FF startup for me.
So I disabled it via the add-on itself instead of through the add-on manager.
It still sets in add-on bar ready to enable if I need it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 10:43 AM »

This is just a generic "click on icon and open a window" - no fancy sessions or anything. It just seems to take FF some30-45 seconds to get a handle on stuff and get going right after a cold boot.

But when you open FF like that is it to a blank page or  startup page full of stuff? I've found with browsers often if you have something in the startup page, even speed dial, it can bog when the disk is busy especially. Bringing up a blank page, then clicking a button that loads the exact same thing, seems to save 30 seconds on a busy disk and maybe even a few seconds on an idle system. Seems if it has to walk and chew gum at the same time it bogs. :)