topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mac icons  (Read 3904 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mac icons
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:45 PM »
hello!

in almost every webpage of company that creates mac software, I see astonishing graphics!

examples:
http://objective-dec...ucts/contactizerpro/
http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/
and so on

I wonder is there a way to create such nice icons and stuff using Mac? or is it just a coincidence

thanks!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: mac icons
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 07:13 PM »
The platform for creating the graphics doesn't really matter. You can create the same things on Windows or Linux.

Macs tend to have a much stronger focus on design rather than functionality. If you look at the same application on a Mac or on Windows, you'll often find that the Mac applications are much prettier, and more responsive. This is particularly true for animations on a Mac - they are far nicer than on Windows. Same goes for animations on an iPad versus on Android - iPad animations are much nicer and smoother.

I find that everything take much longer to get done on a Mac, but during that time, you are really forced to pause a bit more. That slowing down sort of gives you time to stop and smell the flowers, if you'll permit me to bastardize that metaphor. So it kind of makes sense that if everything is tortuously slow to get done, it might as well be beautiful while you're doing it. Kind of like giving you a headache and then some morphine to deal with it. :D

But Photoshop or any capable image editor will let you do the exact same thing as the graphics you typically see on Mac sites. It's really more about the designer than about the platform. You'll also see the same kind of graphics on a lot of non-Mac sites. The Mac sites tend to be more consistent with some design elements that they use that are common in the Mac platform.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I find that everything take much longer to get done on a Mac, but during that time, you are really forced to pause a bit more.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  Things are admittedly different.  And I thought the same thing.  But having gotten used to it, I can see that my notions were incorrect. I'm just not willing to spend the time in the OS to get over the hump.

Oh, and thanks for the links, Kalos!  I didn't know about Voodoopad, and it looks really cool!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  Things are admittedly different.  And I thought the same thing.  But having gotten used to it, I can see that my notions were incorrect.

Off topic
I just can't get used to things like you MUST reposition a window then resize it, and only in the lower-right corner. (Yes, I'm aware of the update.) It's just time consuming to have to fiddle around with things like that. It requires moving your mouse across the screen several times more than necessary.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I wonder is there a way to create such nice icons and stuff using Mac? or is it just a coincidence

You cant make icons any better on a mac.

The Mac platform was always focused on design (always? - for a long time anways). Design work was traditionally done on a mac, but these days it doesnt make any difference which you use. But because of tradition, most graphic designers still use macs.
The whole apple/mac main-thing is design - in terms of *looking* good anyway.
Tom