ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

First Time With Win 8

<< < (4/6) > >>

tomos:
Frankly I had just about the exact same experience as that guy in the video, except with a lot more angry cursing, and general depression about the future of Microsoft.
-mouser (November 04, 2012, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

tons of cursing here too - maybe I missed an instruction on first starting...
I did repeatedly get told to point my arrow in the corner with an image of it going in the top-right corner, so eventually I tried that and it told me it wasnt ready yet ;D but then the 'Start'/Metro screen showed, and I did not have a clue where to go from there.

Searching a bit online told me there was a desktop app but I could not find it in the tiles.
This was a preinstalled copy on a lenovo machine. I discovered later that Lenovo had a repulsive silvery image on the desktop - like two huge blobs of mercury, with a large 'Lenovo' written in the middle. The desktop app-tile had the same image. Of course the overlaid white 'Desktop' text was invisible - all I could read was the big Lenovo. Eventually I clicked in desperation and bingo: Desktop. Winkey toggles it after that (why not before that too :tellme:)

But, otherwise it's working fine so far (a few hours!) - I've been able to change the OS language; installed some software okay (including one from 1999 - no problem); currently creating an image backup. The Win X tip is good. Needs FARR badly though ;-)

40hz:
I spent a solid week with it a while back and came away from the experience very unimpressed.

But I'll probably clear off a spare machine and load Windows 8 up again this weekend to see if my current opinion will change any.

Because either way, Like Carol, I'm going to have to become proficient in it since I also have clients to support...*sigh* :-\

40hz:
 Either way, I just can't get past his goofiness and his shrill voice....
-Tinman57 (November 06, 2012, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1. It's always hard listening to somebody who mostly comes across as being a bright but full of himself twelve year old who is desperately trying to impress every adult in the room. He's like the poorly socialized geek nephew of that obscure "distant cousin" on your mother's side. Every family has at least one. You know...THAT KID you run into briefly at only every third (or fourth) family gathering...and still wish you hadn't? :-\

And yeah, much of what he "says" does seem to be stuff that's been said earlier - and better - elsewhere. Quite a few people have noticed that although (so far) it hasn't seemed to hurt his "rep" any.

tomos:
I spent a solid week with it a while back and came away from the experience very unimpressed.-40hz (November 15, 2012, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it looks to me like sticking with the desktop is reasonably possible (I just wish they'd make it completely possible).
If you have to learn about tiles though, you're on your own ;-)

40hz:
MakeUseof.com just put up a Win8 keyboard shortcuts cheat sheet. Download PDF from here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version