topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: First Time With Win 8  (Read 13818 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First Time With Win 8
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Hilarious.  Users first time with Windows 8

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: First Time With Win 8
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Just FYI that video was from back in March. During a preview/beta of Windows 8. Not that it's necessarily any less relevant because of the date. But I thought it was important to know the date of the video. (c:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:36 AM »
Frankly I had just about the exact same experience as that guy in the video, except with a lot more angry cursing, and general depression about the future of Microsoft.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:29 AM »
This "first experience" won't happen in the real world as when you boot up it actually gives you details on the different hover regions for accessing the menu, the importance of the start button on the keyboard, etc.

During the previews, I was a bit ambivalent about Windows 8. I've since upgraded both my desktop and laptop and have come to really love the OS. Not everyone will come to that conclusion, but this is the direction Microsoft is headed so . . . take it or leave it. How long before you go Linux Mouser?

Also, I am obligated to say this as I say it any time I see reference to him -- Chris Pirillo is a troll whose Internet career should have ended 12 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:51 PM by allen »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Also, I am obligated to say this as I say it any time I see reference to him -- Chris Pirillo is a troll whose Internet career should have ended 12 years ago.

;D ;D

Guess his record of three marriages speaks volumes in support of your opinion. :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:17 PM »
At least he's consistent?  :huh: ;D

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Nothing brightens my Monday like a good LockerGnome bashing.  :-*

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22 PM »
On the original topic, I am compelled to mention my 8 year old son. Without any forewarning he went from Windows 7 one day to Win 8 the next. He noticed the change and made mention of it but had absolutely no difficulty making the transition.

Granted, my son does have one advantage over Chris Pirillo's [stupid] father -- having not grown up in the Windows 95/XP era, he was accustomed to using the physical start button to toggle the start menu.

In my opinion, all of this hyperbole about Windows 8 being impossible to use is just that. It's bullshit.

Again, I am not saying everybody will or should like Windows 8. It IS in many ways a change of direction for the company; one that may jive well for people who have wholly bought into the cloud, and especially those likely to buy into multiple screens within Microsoft family (Xbox, RT, Win Phone 8 ).

While RT is going to remain a closed ecosystem, I don't believe the conventional desktop is at any risk of going away, the enterprise market is too important to MS.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43 PM »
^ Another great post I could have written. :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:52 PM »
On the original topic, I am compelled to mention my 8 year old son. Without any forewarning he went from Windows 7 one day to Win 8 the next. He noticed the change and made mention of it but had absolutely no difficulty making the transition.

Granted, my son does have one advantage over Chris Pirillo's [stupid] father -- having not grown up in the Windows 95/XP era, he was accustomed to using the physical start button to toggle the start menu.

In my opinion, all of this hyperbole about Windows 8 being impossible to use is just that. It's bullshit.

Again, I am not saying everybody will or should like Windows 8. It IS in many ways a change of direction for the company; one that may jive well for people who have wholly bought into the cloud, and especially those likely to buy into multiple screens within Microsoft family (Xbox, RT, Win Phone 8 ).

While RT is going to remain a closed ecosystem, I don't believe the conventional desktop is at any risk of going away, the enterprise market is too important to MS.

Big +1 here. My 10 year old daughter had a similar encounter and can now use my laptop without very much of a transition period. She can easily move between my laptop, windows 8 pro, and my wife's with windows 7.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Gee, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY FEEL!   :D

Why do you have it in for him?  I've only read a couple of Pirillo's writings, and watched about 30 seconds of one of his videos before stopping it.  I just couldn't handle his whiney shrill voice.  From what little I've seen from him I came to the conclusion that he's a geek and a little goofy.  But his wife is totally hot.   ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11 PM »
From what little I've seen from him I came to the conclusion that he's a geek and a little goofy.  But his wife is totally hot.   ;D

Out of curiosity, which one?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Gee, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY FEEL!   :D

Why do you have it in for him?  I've only read a couple of Pirillo's writings, and watched about 30 seconds of one of his videos before stopping it.  I just couldn't handle his whiney shrill voice.  From what little I've seen from him I came to the conclusion that he's a geek and a little goofy. 

He's a little geek, a little goofy, and REALLY opinionated. The problem is that despite being "famous" for being a geek he really has only a very superficial level of knowledge. Enough to convince MSNBC anchor people he's a geek but not enough to ever contribute anything meaningful to tech journalism. He's the Wolf Blitzer of technology.

He's a brash, whiny troll. And he gets the girl. All of them. :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 06:31 PM »
From what little I've seen from him I came to the conclusion that he's a geek and a little goofy.  But his wife is totally hot.   ;D

Out of curiosity, which one?

I guess the one he's married to now...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:39 PM »
He's a little geek, a little goofy, and REALLY opinionated. The problem is that despite being "famous" for being a geek he really has only a very superficial level of knowledge. Enough to convince MSNBC anchor people he's a geek but not enough to ever contribute anything meaningful to tech journalism. He's the Wolf Blitzer of technology.

He's a brash, whiny troll. And he gets the girl. All of them. :)

Funny that you mentioned that he don't contribute anything meaningful, because what I've seen of him he just talks about stuff that's already been covered elsewhere, he's just repeating other peoples views.  Like it's not official until he talks about it or something.  lol
  Either way, I just can't get past his goofiness and his shrill voice....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Frankly I had just about the exact same experience as that guy in the video, except with a lot more angry cursing, and general depression about the future of Microsoft.

tons of cursing here too - maybe I missed an instruction on first starting...
I did repeatedly get told to point my arrow in the corner with an image of it going in the top-right corner, so eventually I tried that and it told me it wasnt ready yet ;D but then the 'Start'/Metro screen showed, and I did not have a clue where to go from there.

Searching a bit online told me there was a desktop app but I could not find it in the tiles.
This was a preinstalled copy on a lenovo machine. I discovered later that Lenovo had a repulsive silvery image on the desktop - like two huge blobs of mercury, with a large 'Lenovo' written in the middle. The desktop app-tile had the same image. Of course the overlaid white 'Desktop' text was invisible - all I could read was the big Lenovo. Eventually I clicked in desperation and bingo: Desktop. Winkey toggles it after that (why not before that too :tellme:)

But, otherwise it's working fine so far (a few hours!) - I've been able to change the OS language; installed some software okay (including one from 1999 - no problem); currently creating an image backup. The Win X tip is good. Needs FARR badly though ;-)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I spent a solid week with it a while back and came away from the experience very unimpressed.

But I'll probably clear off a spare machine and load Windows 8 up again this weekend to see if my current opinion will change any.

Because either way, Like Carol, I'm going to have to become proficient in it since I also have clients to support...*sigh* :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 09:52 AM »
 Either way, I just can't get past his goofiness and his shrill voice....

+1. It's always hard listening to somebody who mostly comes across as being a bright but full of himself twelve year old who is desperately trying to impress every adult in the room. He's like the poorly socialized geek nephew of that obscure "distant cousin" on your mother's side. Every family has at least one. You know...THAT KID you run into briefly at only every third (or fourth) family gathering...and still wish you hadn't? :-\

And yeah, much of what he "says" does seem to be stuff that's been said earlier - and better - elsewhere. Quite a few people have noticed that although (so far) it hasn't seemed to hurt his "rep" any.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:21 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07 AM »
I spent a solid week with it a while back and came away from the experience very unimpressed.

Well, it looks to me like sticking with the desktop is reasonably possible (I just wish they'd make it completely possible).
If you have to learn about tiles though, you're on your own ;-)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 10:49 AM »
MakeUseof.com just put up a Win8 keyboard shortcuts cheat sheet. Download PDF from here.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58 PM »
makeuseof won't let me use a mailinator address... drats!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 05:04 PM »

@alien - Sent you a PM. :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 06:26 PM »

@alien - Sent you a PM. :Thmbsup:

Allen's an alien?  I should have guessed he got 'taken over' once he got rid of (most of the) beard.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19 AM »
^ ;D ;D ;D
Tom

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 05:33 AM »
Thanks for the good laugh  ;D
I prefer managing most of the tasks by means of custom keystrokes with an app like  SlickRun or FARR