ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

When Kickstarters Fail

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
A lot probably depends on your future plans and what sort of investors youll be looking for down the line. I could see some cases where doing a kickstarter might interfere with subsequent financing rounds. Then there's the issue of maintaining the necessary secrecy during development  until a patent can be secured.

Either way, I really think you need competent legal and business advice rather than a layman's opinion on something like this. You might want to start with the Small Business Administration and their SCORE advisors. You may even be eligible for federal technology grant funding depending.

Start with the SBA and go from there.

iphigenie:
Another problem is that the energy and content that is needed to make a project sexy and successful on Kickstarter isn't at all similar to the energy and planning needed to build and launch a successful product and delivery...

40hz:
Another problem is that the energy and content that is needed to make a project sexy and successful on Kickstarter isn't at all similar to the energy and planning needed to build and launch a successful product and delivery...
-iphigenie (November 17, 2012, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent point!

Kickstarter does seem to lend itself more to a project-oriented feasibility study (or a "one-off" creative effort) than it does to the product development and start-up phases of a traditional business plan. As iphiginie pointed out, building and delivering product on an ongoing basis requires a different mindset and finance model.

wraith808:
Kickstarter does seem to lend itself more to a project-oriented feasibility study (or a "one-off" creative effort) than it does to the product development and start-up phases of a traditional business plan. As iphiginie pointed out, building and delivering product on an ongoing basis requires a different mindset and finance model.
-40hz (November 17, 2012, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

To this point, I've actually seen many established companies use KS (and to a lesser extent IndieGoGo) for this very purpose- to suss out interest in the product in KS rather than risking the money upfront.  I think this is one of the advantages of KS that isn't really touted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version