topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: seeking coder to convert batch file to autoit or autohotkey script  (Read 8881 times)

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wrote a batch file that opens a couple programs, asks a "choice" question and runs the appropriate shortcut based on that, and then displays a series of png and animated gif images at a specific window position that provide instructions to the user. I'd prefer a nicer looking Windows GUI for the "choice" question and better control over displaying the images (having trouble with irfanview in this regard). There are some other small refinements that I think could easily be handled by autoit or autohotkey.

Please PM me.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: seeking coder to convert batch file to autoit or autohotkey script
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Hi, timmy2.  If you can, please share your batch file here on the thread and I'm sure one of us can come up with something for you.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:12 PM »
I'd prefer a nicer looking Windows GUI
Do you know Horst Schaeffer's freeware utilities, specifically WBox?  If I understand it correctly, it's a way of getting a native Windows-UI for a batch file.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Do you know Horst Schaeffer's freeware utilities

They work great, there are several that can tart up a batch file very nicely.  Wbox, wfile, wbusy - almost anything you want! :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:20 PM by x16wda, Reason: extra /quote? »

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:56 PM »
I'd prefer a nicer looking Windows GUI
Do you know Horst Schaeffer's freeware utilities, specifically WBox?  If I understand it correctly, it's a way of getting a native Windows-UI for a batch file.

Thank you rjbull and x16wda!  I'll look into Horst's apps immediately.

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03 AM »
You've supplied me with a possible solution to the GUI issue but I still have the problem of not being able to display animated gif files at a specified screen position. I've posted this on IrfanView's site and maybe someone will offer a solution but for now its built-in x,y positioning option fails with animated gifs (though it works fine with png files).

So I'm looking for a simple, preferably chromeless and borderless, image viewer that can display an animated gif without wanting to hug the left edge of the screen. Please note that ZMover can reposition the image to my desired location but it takes a few beats and the effect is rather lame.  It would be better if the image viewer has the ability to display an image at a specific screen location.

Thank you to all who have contributed!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08 AM »
So I'm looking for a simple, preferably chromeless and borderless, image viewer that can display an animated gif without wanting to hug the left edge of the screen.

Perhaps my Frameless application will suit your needs?  It's a borderless, captionless image viewer with commandline support for image placement.  And, yes, it can display animated GIF files.  Check out the readme file here.

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:39 AM »
So I'm looking for a simple, preferably chromeless and borderless, image viewer that can display an animated gif without wanting to hug the left edge of the screen.

Perhaps my Frameless application will suit your needs?  It's a borderless, captionless image viewer with commandline support for image placement.  And, yes, it can display animated GIF files.  Check out the readme file here.

WOW!!!  Thank you skwire!  Your program is perfect for my application -- with one (hopefully minor) problem: shadows turn white. I don't see a way to insert a picture in this post so I'll visit your site and try emailing you. But I really do appreciate the helpful responses I've received in this forum. Thanks to all.

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Perhaps my Frameless application will suit your needs?  It's a borderless, captionless image viewer with commandline support for image placement.  And, yes, it can display animated GIF files.  Check out the readme file here.

I've created screen captures and will post this issue in your Frameless forum. Thank you again!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:02 AM by timmy2 »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:19 PM »
ZMover can reposition the image to my desired location but it takes a few beats and the effect is rather lame.
You don't need to pay to reposition windows - PowerPro can do it for you for free, but, it too needs a few moments to notice the window has arrived and take action.  It isn't portable, either, if you need that.