ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You thought those cheap no-name USB/Phone charger were safe?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
One day my lights stopped working. I fiddled with the dimmer and power switch, and no luck. Opening it up... black. Completely charred. Power can be dangerous to say the least.

x16wda:
Opening it up... black. Completely charred.
-Renegade (November 02, 2012, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
SpoilerThat's what happens when they send the self destruct signal to the stealth microphones.
:P

Seriously though, those ubiquitous cheap little power things crap out constantly, although usually mine don't fry anything.  The ones that come with those little USB/SATA/IDE drive adapters are the worst, I usually get about 6 months out of one if I'm lucky.  I finally pulled out an old power supply and shorted the green and black wires together, and that has enough power to spin up drives that wouldn't work with the included cheapie adapter.

4wd:
A cheap 5V adapter that just died on me, (less than an hour ago): switched it on, waited 10 seconds....BANG!

You thought those cheap no-name USB/Phone charger were safe?

Just as I was attaching the DMM leads to check it  ;D

Tinman57:
  Looks like it got a little warm.   ;)

I found out the secret to electronics a long time ago, it's "Blue Smoke" that makes it all work.  If there's a break and all the blue smoke escapes, the electronic item will cease to work....   :D

f0dder:
I found out the secret to electronics a long time ago, it's "Blue Smoke" that makes it all work.  If there's a break and all the blue smoke escapes, the electronic item will cease to work....   :D-Tinman57 (November 15, 2012, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice one :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version