ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015

<< < (12/15) > >>

Renegade:
But only if Kate Bekinsale were in it - and only if she were wearing that jumpsuit again.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Now that's a vampire! :-* :P
-40hz (November 05, 2012, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see your vampire, and raise you a Slayer! :P

;D

Renegade:
Actually it depends- if the story arc was about Anakin and his legacy, then it might not have been over from an arc perspective, i.e. the first act was his fall, the second his redemption, the third his legacy.  Apparently Lucas had some thoughts in regards to that already.  How true that is, I don't know.
-wraith808 (November 05, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I meant by my disclaimer above about the perspective of the story being about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. Just one take on it. It just seems, to me anyways, to be the main theme all across eps 1-6. Nothing else really come close (as I can see) - Anakin is the driving force for the story. I'm sure other people get other things out of it -- and that's one of the great things about good art - we can take different things from it.

40hz:
Actually it depends- if the story arc was about Anakin and his legacy, then it might not have been over from an arc perspective, i.e. the first act was his fall, the second his redemption, the third his legacy.  Apparently Lucas had some thoughts in regards to that already.  How true that is, I don't know.
-wraith808 (November 05, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I meant by my disclaimer above about the perspective of the story being about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. Just one take on it. It just seems, to me anyways, to be the main theme all across eps 1-6. Nothing else really come close (as I can see) - Anakin is the driving force for the story. I'm sure other people get other things out of it -- and that's one of the great things about good art - we can take different things from it.
-Renegade (November 05, 2012, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

True. And like any good story, it gains in popularity by the fact it can be experienced and interpreted in multiple ways.

When I earlier mentioned its lack of originality, I didn't mean it as a knock. Just an acknowledgement that it freely borrows from everything in the Wester mythic and adventure story canon. Not a bad thing necessarily since there's little in the human experience that's very new at this stage of the game. And good stories usually get better with repeat tellings. Maybe that's the best indicator of a story being good - it survives retelling.

StarWars is a good yarn. As are parts of the various StarTrek incarnations (except for Voyager and Enterprise. Those were absolute junk.) But I just don't see them as sources of cosmic truth like some people do. They're kind of heavy handed and obvious. Which is just the way we like them to be as entertainment. Good guys win. Bad guys lose. And that really cute couple finally stops playing head games with each other and becomes an item.

Who could ask for more during a quiet evening at your favorite cinema with an extra large popcorn (with butter) sitting on your lap? :Thmbsup:

---
@Ren - I think I'll stick with Kate. I want somebody that can teach me something I don't already know. I no longer have the patience to break in young amateurs.

Oh wait! I already have somebody like that...

So, um...sorry Kate! Too bad. I coulda been beautiful! ;D

Renegade:
Very few stories are very original. I think that's why I like really good horror films, because they are NEW stories.

"Fallen" with Denzel Washington ("Dark Angel" in some places) was a fantastic movie. But, it told a story that was fundamentally different than others. (No spoilers there.)

Star Wars tells the same story as others, but does it extremely well.

The world flipped over "The Blair Witch Project" precisely because it did new things.

Creativity with a new story, an existing story, or a new way to tell a story - all things that go over really well. :D

40hz:

The world flipped over "The Blair Witch Project" precisely because it did new things.

-Renegade (November 05, 2012, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I always thought the world had flipped over Blair Witch for the first six months because 90% of the people who saw or heard about it thought it was a true story. Something the producers didn't lie about - although IIRC they also didn't go especially out of their way to correct that misconception either.

To me Blair Witch was a variation on "the hunter (or seeker) becomes the hunted" story. Not particularly original in it's treatment either. Blackwood, Lovecraft, Bierce, and M.R. James did it far better. To me it's just Lovecraft's The Whisperer in the Darkness using a witch instead of evil alien entities for the 'bad guy.'

Even Chaucer had a neat riff on it in The Canterbury Tales. In The Pardoner's Tale, three young men decide to go out and find Death and kill it/him/her - not realizing the full range of possible outcomes should you go out "seeking death." And that tale is based on and older tale from India based on an even older legend from China...and so it goes.

Not many original stories. But there are plenty of very good, very original story treatments still to be written. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version