ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015

(1/15) > >>

Josh:

10:15PM EDT October 30. 2012 - Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are joining Mickey Mouse, Buzz Lightyear and Iron Man in Disney's roster of heroes.

Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by founder George Lucas. The purchase culminates a one and a half year pursuit of the Lucas empire, Disney's CEO said.

MORE: Reaction to the news

Lucas, who receives 40 million Disney shares from the deal, will be the second-largest non-institutional shareholder of Disney, Bloomberg News says, behind the trust of deceased Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The 68-year-old Lucas will serve as a creative consultant but plans to retire.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, in a statement. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Said Disney CEO Robert Iger: "This is one of the great entertainment properties of all time, one of the best branded and one of the most valuable, and it's just fantastic for us to have the opportunity to both buy it, run it and grow it."

--- End quote ---

Source

<Dr. Evil laugh>
That's right, 4.05 Billion dollars
</Dr. Evil laugh>

Am I the only one who says....NO!!!!!!!!!

f0dder:
As if Lucas didn't fsck up the star wars film badly enough himself, now he's going to let Disney mess it up even further? How sad. I hope LucasArts (the games department) isn't included in the sale.

Oblig:
Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015

Renegade:
^^ Only one of those chicks killed a Hutt. She's not moving up in the world here. :P  

Tuxman:
So they'll have a bunch of cuddly forest bears in Star Wars VII?

superboyac:
Disney's stories have been getting worse and worse in my opinion.  I don't know what it is.  I'm a huge Muppets and they're last movie got such good reviews and ratings, I though it would be good.  It sucked!  OMG.  I think they're putting way too much subtext into everything, it bugs me.  John Carter was supposed to be good, but it apparently wasn't (I saw it, but I'm not familiar with John Carter, so I'm lost in the discussion).  The Toy Stories are darn near perfect, but that's more pixar than disney.

Disney would absolutely destroy Star Wars, I feel.  Lucas just cashed out, it's not like he was able to bring the stories back to life much himself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version