ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hurricane Sandy Discussion Thread

<< < (7/12) > >>

Renegade:
1. We still ain't ready worth a damn.
-40hz (November 02, 2012, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to me that there are a few areas that contribute to the problem. The major 2 that I see are the way society is structured (e.g. How can you possibly prepare much when you live in a rathole apartment building?), and people not preparing (in large part because of the structure of society). The reliance on "the state" to take care of people is pretty much delusional.

2. Voluntarism during emergencies may become a thing of the past.
--- End quote ---

I hope not. But this points out "state worship" and how people expect the state to "take care of them". Of course YOU can't take care of yourself. Only the state can! Cookies? They're not good enough unless they were purchased with money stolen taxed from honest people and came from a factory using the cheapest possible ingredients available...

3. You can't expect rational or responsible behavior from some elected officials when the chips are down.
--- End quote ---

Sigh... Yep. Unless you count them "not letting a good crisis go to waste" as rational or responsible. :(

vrgrrl:
We just went out of state to Michigan for the weekend -- we are still without power as of this morning. Our power company says that we *may* get power back by the 15th...or the 11th...or the 15th...we are in one of those little towns on the Hudson in the NYC suburbs that is likely last on the list of importance. I really don't want to go back to no power but I'm afraid that's what we're looking at...

Renegade:
@Ren - re: above prediction - you nailed it I think.  ;D
-40hz (November 01, 2012, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://thetimes-tribune.com/opinion/w-b-ponders-martial-law-1.1396770

:(

Even the thought...

TaoPhoenix:
@Ren - re: above prediction - you nailed it I think.  ;D
-40hz (November 01, 2012, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
http://thetimes-tribune.com/opinion/w-b-ponders-martial-law-1.1396770
:(
Even the thought...
-Renegade (November 04, 2012, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good for the mayor having a grip. That's almost a fourth tier in our "let's take away civil rights" theme, "police need all that unlimited power to keep you safe in the storm!" I'll say I never expected that even to be a proto-meme.

40hz:
The reliance on "the state" to take care of people is pretty much delusional.
-Renegade (November 02, 2012, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Misguided perhaps. But hardly delusional. Unless they've successfully lowered the public's expectations to the point of where they are now willing to accept such BS as the norm.

I don't.

I demand better, call out their self-serving nonsense for what it is,  and keep pushing for reform.

Like the man says - "If you can't take the heat..."

Nobody is ever forced to run for public office. Or remain in one for that matter.

So I really don't see why we need, for one single minute, to buy into childish or arrogant excuses.

Demand better. Or expect to get what you didn't ask for. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version