ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hurricane Sandy Discussion Thread

<< < (3/12) > >>

J-Mac:
Vague Sentence alert: "In contrast to Hazel, however, Sandy was not as strong a hurricane." - In what context was Sandy not a Hurricane? When it intercepted the second front?
-TaoPhoenix (October 31, 2012, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you might have misread that. It didn't say it wasn’t a hurricane; it said it wasn’t as strong a hurricane.    :)

Jim

SKA:
Wave of looting and theft takes hold in areas hardest hit by superstorm Sandy
http://www.naturalnews.com/037773_looting_superstorm_Sandy_theft.html

Ska

J-Mac:
My family and I were one mile from where Hurricane Andrew made landfall in 1992, and within the north eye wall. 164 mph sustained winds and a gust measured at 212 mph. It was unbelievably powerful and resulted in some things that I didn't think were even possible or within the laws of physics. Scariest night of my life, including my service in Vietnam. FEMA was completely invisible. I never saw a trailer or vehicle from FEMA. Red Cross was in and out so fast it made me dizzy! To be honest, The Salvation Army gained my eternal respect and support; they set up locations that were kept open and staffed for a few years, continually drove around providing fresh water, food, and clothing, and even offered help with pets.

No sign of FEMA however.

Jim

TaoPhoenix:
Vague Sentence alert: "In contrast to Hazel, however, Sandy was not as strong a hurricane." - In what context was Sandy not a Hurricane? When it intercepted the second front?
-TaoPhoenix (October 31, 2012, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you might have misread that. It didn't say it wasn’t a hurricane; it said it wasn’t as strong a hurricane.    :)

Jim
-J-Mac (October 31, 2012, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now I'm even more lost!  :huh:  Saying it is not as strong as a hurricane is the same thing as saying it wasn't one, right? How can it simultaneously be a hurricane and not as strong as one?

app103:

Back from my vacation to the 19th century. It was kind of fun! Played a LOT of board games with the family.

We had enough fun that we are going to institute a weekly family board game night.

My daughter went to sleep before the power was restored, so she doesn't know she is going to wake up back in the 21st century.

Also discovered that popovers are the perfect low fat baked item for making during an extended blackout. They come out best when you use room temperature eggs and room temperature milk, both of which can be mixed up with powdered versions and your stored bottled water.  ;)

As far as damage goes, my town still has a lot of downed power lines and there was quite a bit of flooding down by the river. A few people I know will be out of a job indefinitely due to their place of employment being severely damaged. And one friend had an unspecified amount of damage done to his home, when a large tree fell on it.

We were originally quoted as Monday being the date of power restoration for us, but really happy that it is back on 5 days ahead of schedule.

Really glad I was prepared for this, packed the freezer and fridge full of bottles of water, and loaded cans of fruit in the fridge to take up as much of the empty space as possible, when I ran out of bottles. There was enough large "blocks" of ice in my freezer that even though I was without power for 2 days, and opened the freezer a few times to check on things, not even the ice in the ice cube trays melted and the ice cream remained firm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version