topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Early Politicians  (Read 6338 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Early Politicians
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:11 PM »
  And now it's official....

Early_Politician-sm.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Early Politicians
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Hahahah~! ;D

Very cute!

Makes me wonder what the world would be like if people that actually knew what they were doing, e.g. machinists, truck drivers, farmers, engineers, programmers, physicists, doctors, etc., filled the positions that politicians try to. (One of the words that I really and truly loathe is "policy". The image above nicely explains why. :) )
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Hahahah~! ;D

Very cute!

Makes me wonder what the world would be like if people that actually knew what they were doing, e.g. machinists, truck drivers, farmers, engineers, programmers, physicists, doctors, etc., filled the positions that politicians try to. (One of the words that I really and truly loathe is "policy". The image above nicely explains why. :) )

The election process is set up where only the rich or well connected can get elected.  If the common man was to get elected, he/she would most likely be like a rat in an unescapeable maze, lost in the legalese.  Lawyers have everything so encrypted with all the lagalese that no one can decipher it or discover the holes without being an expert in legalese.  Hiring a lawyer would be his/her only solution, and can anyone really trust a lawyer?   ;)  Lawyers are why our written laws are so screwed up to begin with.
  Only way I could see a regular ol' Joe (or Joan) ever being able to understand things as written would be to have it all re-written at a high-school level of understanding, and they ain't gonna let that happen.  They don't want the average guy to be able to understand the laws.  Knowledge is power, and knowing the holes can make you more money...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Hahahah~! ;D

Very cute!

The election process is set up where only the rich or well connected can get elected.  If the common man was to get elected, he/she would most likely be like a rat in an unescapeable maze, lost in the legalese.  Lawyers have everything so encrypted with all the lagalese that no one can decipher it or discover the holes without being an expert in legalese.  Hiring a lawyer would be his/her only solution, and can anyone really trust a lawyer?   ;)  Lawyers are why our written laws are so screwed up to begin with.
  Only way I could see a regular ol' Joe (or Joan) ever being able to understand things as written would be to have it all re-written at a high-school level of understanding, and they ain't gonna let that happen.  They don't want the average guy to be able to understand the laws.  Knowledge is power, and knowing the holes can make you more money...

+1

The language used in "law" excludes people from understanding it. The volume of laws precludes the possibility of anyone actually reading the laws.

As an interesting little aside... The word "understand" in a legal context also means "agree". So, whenever you are asked whether or not you "understand", your only answer should be "no". e.g.

You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law.
You have the right to an attorney.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.
Do you understand these rights I have just read to you?

Why would you agree to allow anything you say or do to be used against you?

"Hey, if you're going to beat me, why don't you use my baseball bat? And why don't I give you a nice lead pipe while I'm at it?"

Complete insanity.

The same goes for other jurisdictions.

(I don't have the reference for that ["understand"] handy at the moment - I found it in a legal dictionary somewhere, though I forget which one.)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:25 AM »
Heh Renegade more twisty Moebius-ness is arising there.

They are asking if you "understand and agree to" those rights, yes? So how can you disagree with them? The mechanics of them using everything against you are in other sections, you aren't being given the chance to disagree with those! Only being told that you're gonna get hosed! And if you get too fancy claiming you don't "understand" the rights, it edges over into resisting arrest if it looks like you're being obtuse.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05 AM »

Most attorneys will tell you, if you're ever in danger of, or actually placed under arrest, to sign nothing - and say nothing beyond: I do not consent to any searches. And I do not consent being interviewed. I wish to speak to an attorney. That's it. Those exact words. Don't add anything else or embellish. Say them calmly and clearly. Do not say them in a threatening tone - or do anything (make gestures or faces, assume a "confrontational posture," etc.) that could be creatively interpreted as "disorderly conduct" or "resisting." That will only make matters worse from a legal perspective. And depending on the circumstances, could also end up costing you your life. (US police are armed and authorized to use deadly force if they deem it necessary when making an arrest.)

Memorize these three short sentences in case you ever need them:

• I do not consent to any searches.
  • I do not consent to being interviewed.
  • I wish to speak to an attorney.

Say all three to the remanding officer(s) each time you're asked a question -  and whenever being handed over to a "supervisor" or other officer - and then once again very clearly when you're being formally "processed" at the police station.

After that, shut up - don't even keep repeating the above statement. Just clam up completely, let your brain go blank, and wait for the guy or lady wearing a gray suit and carrying a briefcase to show up. If you're being "uncooperative," the authorities will likely make you wait as long as they can, and possibly try playing other head games with you. Don't fall for it. An attorney will eventually show up to represent you. Just remain completely silent and wait for one to arrive.

Note: doing this this is even more important if you are innocent of what you're being charged with than if you're guilty.
 8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:53 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:31 AM »

Most attorneys will tell you, if you're ever actually placed under arrest, to sign nothing - and say nothing beyond: I do not consent to any searches. And I do not consent being interviewed. I wish to speak to an attorney.

Say this to the remanding officer(s) each time you're asked a question -  and whenever being handed over to a "supervisor" or other officer - and then once again very clearly when you're being formally "processed" at the police station.

After that, shut up - don't even keep repeating the above statement. Just clam up completely, let your brain go blank, and wait for the guy or lady wearing a gray suit and carrying a briefcase to show up. (If you're being "uncooperative," they'll likely try to make you wait as long as they possibly can. But an attorney will eventually show up. Just remain completely silent and wait for one to arrive.)

Note: doing this this is even more important if you are innocent of what you're being charged with than if you're guilty.
 8)

Excellent advice! :)

As I'm constitutionally incapable of ever shutting up, I'd like to add one little bit of, well, fun for me anyways. :D

I do not consent to being forcibly confined or kidnapped.

;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01 AM »
As I'm constitutionally incapable of ever shutting up, I'd like to add one little bit of, well, fun for me anyways. :D

I do not consent to being forcibly confined or kidnapped.

Well..."People who don't shut up end up being locked up!" as my buddy (who is an attorney) likes to say.

I thought my grandmother had a better insight. She used to say the one thing that gets us into the most trouble is our mouth. We pay for what we put into it. And we pay for what we let come out of it.

As time goes on, I've more and more begun to realize the profound truth hidden in that bit of grandmotherly wisdom.
 ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Well..."People who don't shut up end up being locked up!" as my buddy (who is an attorney) likes to say.

Hahahaha! :)

Pretty much. Still...

http://en.wikipedia....y_incarceration_rate

Where there's smoke...

(I don't believe that Americans are the most criminal people on the planet. Something there is very wrong.)

I thought my grandmother had a better insight. She used to say the one thing that gets us into the most trouble is our mouth. We pay for what we put into it. And we pay for what we let come out of it.

As time goes on, I've more and more begun to realize the profound truth hidden in that bit of grandmotherly wisdom.
 ;D

True enough.

Hey! Were you trying to tell me to shut up nicely? :P ;D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53 PM »

Memorize these three short sentences in case you ever need them:

• I do not consent to any searches.
  • I do not consent to being interviewed.
  • I wish to speak to an attorney.

The real sad thing about that is it isn't against the law to talk as long as you aren't offending someone's religion, race, etc.  With the cops mentality, anything you say can piss them off and give them reason to either a) beat you about the face and neck, or b) bring up false charges (In other words, lie like the dogs they are....

Another thing to note, it's against the law to make a false statement, written or verbal, to a police officer.  HOWEVER, it is perfectly legal for the cops to lie to you.  You will have cops tell you that they have an eye witness that you did something illegal in hopes that you will confess to get an lighter sentence.  DON'T FALL FOR THIS!  Remember, DON'T SAY ANYTHING EXCEPT "I WANT A LAWYER".

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11 PM »
I believe this has been posted here before, but I also believe it is apropos to the subject:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 07:15 PM »
I believe this has been posted here before, but I also believe it is apropos to the subject:

+1