topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.  (Read 95457 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO - Mini-Review.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 01:19 AM »
2014-03-17: Minor updare to the opening post (review):

The licencing notes now read:
Licencing notes:
  • 1. In the discussion below, @mwb1100 mentions that, from an old thread in DC Forum - here, a 20% discount coupon code (from March 2012) for Malwarebytes was still valid as at 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665.
  • 2. Refer also the discussion thread Malwarebytes is moving away from lifetime licenses

Added this to examples of use:
I bought a MBAM license a few years back, not because I wanted/needed the real-time protection, but because I wanted to support them because they have helped me get *metric tons* of crap off of the computers that people have dragged in front of me begging me to fix over the years.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 01:46 AM »
Note: the 20% discount code doesn't seem to work anymore. Or more accurately, the order form I get when I try to purchase MBAM pro today (16 Mar 2014) doesnt have a place to enter a coupon code.

However, the $10 discount link mentioned in the "Malwarebytes is moving away from lifetime licenses" thread does still seem to work and represents a 40% discount:

-  https://store.malwar....org/342/purl-arrrlp

I imagine that this discount link will no longer be valid once version 2.0 is released, but that's just a guess.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Thanks Ian for the review. Truly appreciate this!

Sometimes it is recommended to run Malwarebytes FREE on adhoc basis as a kind of addition to an existing/running security suite.

It is nót recommended to have Malwarebytes PRO run at the same time with other security software (e.g. having Kaspersky Internet Security Suite or Norton Internet Security Suite (or any other of such tools).

This is because once a virus is detected, either one of the application will try to take care of it at the same time, resulting in a possible conflict.

That is what I have been given to understand.

But all that aside - nice review.

Keep up the good work!
=

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Malwarebytes PRO is not an antivirus program so that will not happen. It works well with antivirus software.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I've been running MBAM Pro and VIPRE Internet Security side by side with no problems or slowdowns whatsoever.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I am ..
-not sure
and
- not an expert :)

but found this linke
http://community.nor...ty-2014/td-p/1087719

where a 'guru' says

A lot of people will tell you that there's no problem running two programs in reat time, figuring what one misses the other will catch.
Well, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way. They may be ok until malware hits your computer.
What is likely to happen then, is that they'll both fight over the same piece of malware with no-one winning.  Result---Conflict.
Better Norton as your primary real time protection, and using the other scanners purely as passive back ups.

-unquote-

It makes sense to me.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 08:19 AM »
later . . .

=
https://helpdesk.mal...e-antivirus-software
=
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
=

to be honest and (again) being no expert, I genuinely assumed that having a first class Internet Security  installed, that would be sufficient.
any other AV-product may result into conflicts, for reasons mentioned in my earlier post, which, as said, makes sense and on which I can't find any 'helpdesk-comments' from malwarebytes.org
Maybe I am looking at the wrong place though  :-)

=

=

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 08:43 AM »
^ Malwarebytes has been reported as running without problem with at least a couple of anti-virus programmes.
I'm running it with MS Essentials on Win7; I've heard it works well with Avira free and pro versions.

(As for Norton, I dont think I'd want to run Norton at all, in spite of it getting some better publicity as of late...)

No idea about security suites.

to be honest and (again) being no expert, I genuinely assumed that having a first class Internet Security  installed, that would be sufficient.

unfortunately often it's not - but I wonder if anything at all is going to block the things that do get through :-\
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that not only is MBAM not an antivirus tool and which seems to run perfectly happily alongside MS Security Essentials or other virus tools, with no conflicts, but also that they would not attach much credence to advice coming from anyone pushing Norton/Symantec, because that product set and brand seem to equate to lock-in, "shonky" and untrustworthy, and so they wouldn't touch any of it with a bargepole. However, I couldn't possibly comment.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I don't have command of all the particulars but my reason for recommending against running 2 av shields simultaneously is that they will both try to virtualize access to something to protect it.  This causes flaky behavior.  The 2nd av will try to virtualize something that's already virtual.

If MBAM real time doesn't do this then I see no reason not to run it, other than I like to get it for free that is.  :)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 02:26 AM »
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that not only is MBAM not an antivirus tool and which seems to run perfectly happily alongside MS Security Essentials or other virus tools, with no conflicts, but also that they would not attach much credence to advice coming from anyone pushing Norton/Symantec, because that product set and brand seem to equate to lock-in, "shonky" and untrustworthy, and so they wouldn't touch any of it with a bargepole. However, I couldn't possibly comment.

On Norton forum it isexplicitely recommended to run MBAM along with Norton, be it the 'free' version.
So, there is nothing against it.
The only issue raised was - how would both products go in case of malicious software, i.e. when both are fighting to remove it...

I have both NIS and KIS, I've been  a KIS-supporter for about 7 years.
But the support is not vice versa.
I support thém, but they donot support mé (except for the forum).
If there is no solution on the forum, then you (or at least *I*) got stuck.
Mails, reminders, even when escalated to mgrs level, well, they don't give a ****
eh... they don't care.
I have also submitted false positives, Norton replies/update their database, Kaspersky, they don't know you and donot respond
I have asked to verify a file, extra-check, Norton replied/confirmed the file is okay, Kaspersky only confirms receipt, that's it, no feedback
I have had a few chat sessions with Norton, they solved the matters without problems (forget about KIS on this point)
Given that both products are 'top-rated' AV-products, well, at one point I stopped using KIS.
Kaspersky, without doubt, is a very good product, but they simply donot offer support on 'personal' level.

Norton also may have some habits I don't really like: I have had some ligitimate software, that was marked as spyware or so.
It was simply removed, no questions asked. Period. If that was the only file you had... what then?

=

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 03:30 AM »
I have also submitted false positives, Norton replies/update their database, Kaspersky, they don't know you and donot respond
I have asked to verify a file, extra-check, Norton replied/confirmed the file is okay, Kaspersky only confirms receipt, that's it, no feedback
I have had a few chat sessions with Norton, they solved the matters without problems
^ this does sound very good (Norton) :up:
Ease of reporting false positives is very important ...

but
I could not live with this:
Norton also may have some habits I don't really like: I have had some ligitimate software, that was marked as spyware or so.
It was simply removed, no questions asked. Period. If that was the only file you had... what then?
is there no option to allow the user to choose how to respond?

My negativity towards Norton is based on a laptop that I 'manage' for an elderly friend - Vista/ 2GB ram/ and Norton on full power - including freezing the machine so it can tell us that the CPU is overloaded :down: - in fairness I was able to disable a lot of it's activities - but until I did, the machine was completely unusable - drove me batty trying to do anything on it ;-)
I presume on most modern machines this would not be a problem...
Tom

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Well, I asked about this and the feedback was that this is the idea of using Norton.
One cud submit files as possible false positives.

Under settings, there is an option 'Ask Me', but Norton sofar never asked me, but rather immediately quarantined the files.

Figure the way of proceeding would be a bit as follows:

The file:
- is marked as malicious and quarantined/removed by Norton
- should be restored
- submitted to Norton as false positive

then wait for feedback.
that may take a while but timebeing you can't use the program.

=
SnagIt-23052014 135912.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Co-incidentally, I have just today had the experience of de-installing Norton/Symantec virus tools from a new laptop that had it pre-installed, running Windows 8. The Norton thing was like those hijack trojans that demand payment for something. Kept nagging the user to upgrade and pay $17.99 or something. It also disabled MBAM real-time scanning when I installed MBAM, which was really annoying, and it had disabled MS Security Essentials (which is built-in to Windows Defender in Win 8 and up).

I disconnected the laptop from the Internet, and then proceeded to remove each of the 4 or so components of the Norton package, one at a time, using RevoUninstaller. There is a plant, indigenous to New Zealand, which trampers (people who like roughing it, walking over the mountains) call a "Bush Lawyer", because it has hooks on it so that it clings to your legs/clothes - anything it touches - and is well-nigh impossible to shake off. You learned to avoid the thing like the plague. Norton virus software is like that - only worse. Hooks all over the place. As it was being uninstalled, it kept saying things like "Are you sure?", "Tell us why you are uninstalling this software", and so forth, all the while desperately trying to phone home (in anticipation of which, I had already disconnected the laptop from the Internet).
In the end, after RevoUnistaller had done its thing, I had to spend a good 20 minutes or so trying to delete the residual registry keys and sundry write-protected files that Norton had left hidden/embedded amongst the system folders. I put Unlocker to good use, and put the laptop through 2 restarts in the process, running CCleaner to help to expunge residual bits and pieces, and xplorer²'s Shredder on anything left in the Recycle bin and temp folders.

I then re-installed MBAM (PRO, the PAID-for version), which came up with real-time protection ON by default - i.e., as it should have. I set MBAM to do a quick scan, and it promptly found a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) that Norton had missed.
Starting up Windows Defender, I enabled MS Security Essentials, and set it to work on an update and then a scan.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:42 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I bought a series of HP desktop machines.  Without exception the most annoying time of ownership was between the first boot and the removal of the last vestige of Norton.  On the last machine even after I ran the Norton Removal Tool 3 times I was getting slow boots(like warm boot of 120 seconds.)  By looking at the boot log I saw the system was timing out waiting for Norton drivers to load even though Norton executables were gone.

I ran CCleaner registry clean to finally get rid of the last of it.  It's pure harassment.  Preloaded is the only way it would get on any of my machines.

Maybe next time I'll have the resources to do a build and retail copy of Windows.  Just get totally away from this aggraware.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 02:31 PM »
[/b] There is a plant, indigenous to New Zealand, which trampers (people who like roughing it, walking over the mountains) call a "Bush Lawyer", because it has hooks on it so that it clings to your legs/clothes - anything it touches - and is well-nigh impossible to shake off. You learned to avoid the thing like the plague. Norton virus software is like that - only worse. Hooks all over the place. As it was being uninstalled, it kept saying things like "Are you sure?", "Tell us why you are uninstalling this software", and so forth, all the while desperately trying to phone home (in anticipation of which, I had already disconnected the laptop from the Internet).

The Norton Removal Tool (by Symantec) is the best fix for this that I've found. Their "uninstaller" is only a quickie dust-off that assumes you will reinstall. The Removal Tool OTOH is what's called a scrubber that eradicates every last visage of the software to make sure the system is pristine enough to get a newer version installed - which of course nobody in their right mind is ever foolish enough to do once they finally escape. :)

Most AV suites have a (scrubber level) removal tool, so they are (for me) the automatic goto for getting things cleaned up fast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MilesAhead - That is interesting, as I've never seen the NRT fail. Some of the older ones were a bit finicky about exactly which version of which suite was being removed ... But orphaning a driver? Damn! That's a new one on me. any chance it could have been a bugg masquerading as an AV component?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I reckon @MilesAhead is spot-on where he says of Norton:
...It's pure harassment.  Preloaded is the only way it would get on any of my machines. ...
I have removed Norton AV from the PCs of several friends who did not have the knowledge to do it themselves, and were finding the thing to be an annoying and harassing malware. Without exception, they were all very grateful when I had banished the thing and given them a proper, free and friendly AV product in its stead. Even in the case of the laptop I described above, Norton AV was already entirely superfluous by definition, because the Windows 8 OS comes with Windows Defender, which now incorporates a great Firewall and MS Security Essentials - the latter being a perfectly/very good AV product. In such a context, the act of pre-installing the cuckoo egg of Norton AV is a deliberately corrupt/unethical and misleading/mendacious ripoff, making a victim of the unsuspecting and gullible end-user. Such unacceptable/sharp practice and all the practitioners of same are rightly deserving of being despised.

From experience, I personally would prefer not to touch any Norton product - ever - including their own amusingly and ironically-named Norton Removal Tool.
They seem to have acknowledged by that name that an installed Norton/Symantec product is in itself a kind of virus infection like a rootkit, that necessitates a special removal and clean-up tool. Right. Say no more.

I discovered a few years back that, once your PC had a Norton product installed, it was prudent to treat it like any virus infection, and the only sure way to successfully expunge it was, as @MilesAhead described - i.e., not with the NRT (which might not remove all of the virus, or might in itself present a further threat) but with conventional removal tools - e.g., including RevoUninstaller, CCleaner, and doing a manual Registry search/edit for Norton/Symantec keyword strings. (Having had a good night's sleep, I am about to perform the latter on that new laptop I mentioned above, as the laptop is being blocked from completing the FREE upgrade to Win8.1, and I suspect there may still be some residual Norton hooks that need to be removed - the install presumably can't take place if there is something in the existing system (like Norton AV) which is hostile to or disables something in the Windows OS asset store.

Who knows whether, before long, MBAM might not include Norton software infections in its definition of PUP? Norton infections are certainly hostile to MBAM and MS SE and about as useful and certainly as insidious as Candyware (QED per example above). It's not even a case of caveat emptor, because the majority of unsuspecting and luckless buyers won't have the wherewithal to know that there is a Norton virus infection pre-installed by the OEM install.

You can read discussions in various forums about Norton/Symantec where it seems that not a few people, from experience, have learned to distrust Norton/Symantec products - e.g., this discussion and also see DC Forum discussion thread Norton Identity Safe -- Free Download.
The foregoing shows that there's a reason for this - a Norton product is a virus infection - hijackharassransomware; a PC-bedbug or whatever else you might call it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:02 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 06:21 AM »
A lot of folks here are against Norton.

Up front: No offence meant...  and I respect decisions here, but as for me, I personally I prefer to go for reviews by magazines and websites and
AV-test.

=
SnagIt-24052014 124345.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

=
SnagIt-24052014 125148.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

=
SnagIt-24052014 130149.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

Seems that Kaspersky is performing slightly better than Norton.

I would have sticked to KIS if their service would be better.

if you have installed KIS on a VM and you delete the VM  then 1 license remains active, although in fact it is not used anymore.
or I sell my pc and removed the AV software.

it seems it is difficult for AV-companies to monitor the number of licenses used/active at the same time, meaning to say that I could basically install the software on a number of devices, but only first three (for example) of the license will be protected.

Norton at least allows users to delete a license in such cases, so it can be used for another device.

AFAIK, sofar Kaspersky has no solution for that. They donot reply a support question asking how to proceed in such cases.
Similarly, when asking how to proceed if I wish to upgrade my license from 3-PC to 5-PC, well, they don't care: no reply from Kaspersky support.
Also not on reminders...

Even a separate post asking how long it takes before I may expect a reply remains unreplied.

So, as said, end-users should use the forum, if there is no solution there, bad luck.

=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38 AM »
@dcwul62: Don't get me wrong, Norton can't be all bad, and I would be the first to agree that most Norton products - such as AV, for example - seemed pretty good at what they did. I wouldn't expect that Norton made any necessarily bad products.
It's just the whole principle of the Norton bedbugware approach (described above) that I object to and that makes me not trust the thing or the company that devised that approach for its business model.

By the way, after I had eradicated Norton/Symantec from this Win8 laptop I am using, I was greatly relieved that the Win8.1 auto-update magically started working, whereas it had previously repeatedly and consistently failed to work with manual starts (Error code: 0x80240031) beyond the 50% download point before.
So the auto-update finally performed the FREE update to Win8.1, like it should have.
Could be a coincidence, I suppose. However, most of the forum discussions on the problem (that I saw) did seem to say that any AV would probably need to be disabled/removed before the update would work. After I removed Norton, MBAM PRO was finally able to be installed just fine and operate in real-time checking mode, and as I hadn't removed Windows Defender, MS SE was able to be enabled (it was blocked from being enabled whilst Norton was installed).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:45 AM by IainB »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Antivirus software is dead, says security expert at Symantec:
http://www.theguardi...rity-expert-symantec
http://www.pcworld.c...orton-antivirus.html
http://www.slate.com...at_antivirus_is.html
http://news.sky.com/...norton-software-boss
http://online.wsj.co...04579542140235850578

But hackers increasingly use novel bugs. Symantec's senior vice president for information security estimates antivirus now catches just 45% of cyberattacks.
-tl;dr version

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27 PM »

But hackers increasingly use novel bugs. Symantec's senior vice president for information security estimates antivirus now catches just 45% of cyberattacks.
-tl;dr version

-Stoic Joker (May 24, 2014, 11:44 AM)

Fine...

But even if true, l'd still prefer to take that 45% level of protection they do provide in the absence of anything better. :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Malwarebytes has been reported as running without problem with at least a couple of anti-virus programmes.
I'm running it with MS Essentials on Win7; I've heard it works well with Avira free and pro versions.

I have it peacefully coexisting with AVG, Avira, MSE, and Bitdefender.

The only one of the above that ever did (in my experience) have a real problem with Malwarebytes was Bitdefender. And at the request of many of it's customers, Bitdefender has since made their AV product compatible with Malwarebytes Antimalware right out of the box. Prior to that, there was a workaround group of settings that needed to be adjusted manually for it to work smoothly.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 03:17 PM »

-tl;dr version

-Stoic Joker (May 24, 2014, 11:44 AM)

Fine...

But even if true, l'd still prefer to take that 45% level of protection they do provide in the absence of anything better. :(

Sure, I still run AV software too (MSE to be specific). I just don't depend on it to do anything beyond acting as the canary in a coal mine. Given my frequent use of management/diagnostic/recovery software, there are a lot of FP's. So the icon can turn any color it wants to...but if it disappears... Then! ...I know there is a problem.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2014, 09:49 AM »
@IainB

No problem, don't worry.
I have MBAM now running alongside Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 (yes, removed Norton)
Strikes me that things are running sluggish, Firefox takes quite a while before it is up and running.
Installing anything takes a lot of time.

Made a screenshot of the taskmanager -> resources

MBAM is running pretty much default settings.

=
MBAM Services-25052014 152919.pngMalwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 04:46 AM »
UPDATE - 2014-06-28 2134hrs: Major update to the opening post review to incorporate the addition of a review for MBAM Premium version series v2.x.
The review is now split into two parts:
  • 1. Using MBAM on a computer with the Win8, 8.1-64 operating systems.
  • 2. Using MBAM on a computer with the WinXP or Win7-64 operating systems.

Also added: