topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.  (Read 95456 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Originally posted:2012-10-30 - for the version series v1.x on XP, Vista Ultimate and Win7HP (64-bit)
2014-06-28 - for the version series v2.x on Vista Ultimate and Win8, 8.1 (64-bit) and PRO
2017-02-02 - for the version series v3.x on Win10-64 PRO
Last updated2014-03-17 - this was my final/last update for the version series v1.x on XP, Vista Ultimate and Win7HP (64-bit)
2014-09-26 - this relates to updates regarding the later version series v2.x on  Vista Ultimate, Win8, 8.1 (64-bit)
2015-03-27 - version 2.1.4 update.[/b]
2015-05-12 - note re McAfee Stinger.(Refer: How it compares to similar products)
2017-02-02  - version 3.0.6.1469 (with the "Awesome" screens...)

Basic Info
App NameMalwarebytes - 00 Logo.png
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) $FREE and PRO/Premium
"Because your anti-virus alone is not enough"
Thumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
App URLhttp://www.malwarebytes.org/
App Version Reviewed$FREE versions v1.x on XP and Win7.
(PAID) PRO versions up to v1.75.0.1300 on Vista Ultimate and Win7.
(PAID) Premium v2.0.4.1028 on Win8,8.1-64 PRO.
(PAID) Premium v3.0.6.1469 on Win10-64 PRO
(Not tested/reviewed $FREE versions v2.x on Win8,8.1.)
Current VersionPremium v3.0.6.1469 as at 2017-01-28
Test System SpecsWin XP
Vista Ultimate
Win 7-64 Home Premium.
Win8,8.1-64 PRO.
Win10-64 PRO
Supported OSesCompatible with Win 64-bit/32-bit.
Support MethodsDownload: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/
Support: http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/
Help file: comes with the software.
Upgrade PolicyUpgrades are FREE to the $FREE version
and also to the paid PRO and Premium versions.
Trial Version Available?$FREE - as reviewed in this review.
Pricing SchemePRO/Premium version US$26.00 (approx.).
See: What's the difference between the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and PRO/Premium versions? : Malwarebytes Support
The free and PRO/Premium versions are only available for non-commercial use.
Non-commercial licences are valid indefinitely (lifetime).
For commercial use, there is an extended licence costing approx. $6 for 2 years
Licencing notes:
  • 1. In the discussion below, @mwb1100 mentions that, from an old thread in DC Forum - here, a 20% discount coupon code (from March 2012) for Malwarebytes was still valid as at 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665.
  • 2. Refer also the discussion thread Malwarebytes is moving away from lifetime licenses

Intro and Overview:
MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) is a malware detector/avoider/fixer, not an anti-virus checker. It protects you from sources of infection by malware/adware - stuff that can get past an AV checker because it does not behave like a virus. It also can be used to "forensically"  (that's my term for it) clean up PCs that have already been infected by malware/adware - and viruses.
I originally started trialling MBAM (the $FREE version, with version series 1.x) on PCs/laptops using Win XP, and then Win 7, just as a suck-it-and-see exercise. I then purchased the PAID (PRO) version, as my trial had proved MBAM to be a superb tool for malware avoidance, detection and removal - and virus removal - and there seemed to be nothing else quite like it on the market (or not that I was aware of, anyway) until I came across McAfee Stinger Portable | PortableApps.com (which I have not trialled).
I later installed MBAM Premium (PAID) on a temporary laptop using Vista Ultimate, and then another laptop using Win8 and its upgrade to 8.1 (using my existing MBAM PRO licence). The Win8 version was different to the Win7 version, and used the version series 2.x. On 2014-07-03, I noticed that the Vista Ultimate installation of MBAM updated itself from version series 1.x.to the newer version series 2.x, so I would guess that the version series 1.x might now be obsolete.

This review is split up below into three parts:
  • 1. Using MBAM version series 3.x (on computers with the Win10-64 PRO operating system).
  • 2. Using MBAM version series 2.x (on computers with the Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and Win8, 8.1-64 operating systems).
  • 3. Using MBAM version series 1.x (on computers with the WinXP, Vista  (32-bit) Ultimate or Win7-64 operating systems).

UPDATE 2017-02-02: Release of version 3.0.6.1469 (with the "Awesome" screens...)
General notes re v3.x:
  • I have not had the time to exhaustively check this version out yet, having only just updated to v3.x
  • I would have updated a couple of weeks ago but was delayed because the v3.x updater could not seem to run standalone or automatically from the GUI update command (the installers kept crashing with the same obscure error). This went on for a couple of weeks, so I had to wait till I had the time to fix it.
  • I then used the latest version of the special MBAM uninstall software to force a clean uninstall of the v2.x, before running the v3.x installer. That seemed to work OK.
  • NB: Before uninstalling MBAM v2.x you need to Deactivate the licence.
    You then install the new version and Reactivate the licence.
    I found from experience that failure to understand this (it decrements/increments a counter in the licencing database at MBAM HQ), means that the user will exhaust the allotted number of key uses, and will have to file a request with MBAM support to get the licence revalidated. MBAM Support were very helpful.    :-[ 
  • An initial glitch in MBAM seems to be that v3 sometimes starts up from a cold boot with "Realtime protection disabled", when it had been enabled at setup time. Then the user cannot then enable it in the GUI (you press the button and it sits there thinking, but apparently doing nothing). The workaround I have for this is simply to close/terminate MBAM and then restart it. Not sure if the settings are always persistent for the next boot though.
  • This update otherwise looks like it has a few relatively minor changes/improvements, including to the GUI (again), which now exudes an irritatingly positive colloquial personality, telling the user that things are OK with the cliché "Awesome".     :huh: 
  • I intend to search up for an independent review of MBAM v3.x and post the link here.

UPDATE 2015-03-27: Release of version 2.1.4

General notes re v2.x:
Having taken delivery of a refurbished Toshiba L855D laptop running Win8-64, one of the first things I did was to install MBAM PRO using my existing installer backup copy and my existing MBAM PRO licence. However, I then found that the real-time checking functionality of MBAM was disabled - presumably by the pre-installed Norton AV that came with the laptop. In the discussion thread below, I describe how I uninstalled/expunged Norton AV, then enabled MS Security Essentials (which is now part of Windows Defender and which had been been disabled by Norton AV), then re-installed MBAM - which could then operate its real-time checking functionality unimpeded.
On running a full scan with MBAM, it detected and removed a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) that Norton AV must have missed. After I had connected the laptop to the Internet, MBAM automatically updated itself to the latest version of MBAM Premium, and I subsequently got the Win 8.1 update to complete successfully (it would not do so before).

There's not a lot to report otherwise, except that the latest MBAM Premium version 2.x GUI and modus operandi are different/improved to the MBAM PRO version 1.x. These differences are discussed in a rigorous test review report of MBAM Premium, by the excellent Neil J. Rubenking - Lab Results Looking Up - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com.
So, for more information, please refer to that review - which also includes 10 or so screenshots of the MBAM GUI and windows.
(My thanks to @Arizona Hot for pointing out the PCMAG review in his comment Re: Interesting "stuff".)

Summary rating from that PCMAG review:
Note that Install and scan in Safe Mode is a newly-added feature, and the Chameleon and rootkit scan features were previously functions that were separate to and not integrated with MBAM v1.x.
PROS
Installs and scans in Safe Mode.
Chameleon technology resists malware attack.[Note: this is always ON by default]
Excellent results in malware removal lab test.
Improved user interface and ease of use.
Integrates previously separate rootkit scan.
Premium version has real-time protection against attack.
CONS
FREE version has No real-time protection against attack.
BOTTOM LINE
When other antivirus products fail, tech support agents turn to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.
It remains a very effective cleanup tool, and with version 2.0 it gets significant improvements in appearance and ease of use.

Examples of use:
  • Cleanup #1: I had seen MBAM referred to in DC Forum and other forums, and first downloaded the FREE version in 2010 to help me clean a friend's new laptop. The laptop was running Win7-64, and had been infected with a particularly tenacious hijack trojan.
    The trojan had somehow got past the Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus software that I had installed in the laptop. The user had clicked on a link in a piece of spam email that he had received, and that had triggered the trojan to download.
    The laptop being unusable (locked by the Trojan), I removed the 2.5" format hard drive and attached it via a USB caddy to my laptop - having previously already installed MBAM onto my laptop (WinXP) for this purpose.
    The ease with which MBAM scanned, quarantined and helped eradicate the trojan was very impressive.
    I realised that the features which were not enabled in the FREE version of MBAM - realtime scanning and blocking of incoming/outgoing URLs - would be necessary for this user's laptop.
    So I bought two MBAM PRO licences - one for the user and one for myself.

• Cleanup #2: In early 2012 I used MBAM PRO again to clean up another user's laptop. This one was running Win XP, and had seven (7) viruses and trojans on board. It didn't have a current anti-virus proggy, and they let their 8 y/o daughter play games online with it. C'est la vie. Children are notoriously casual and click-happy with a mouse.
    Again, the ease with which MBAM scanned, quarantined and helped eradicate the malware was very impressive.
    After cleaning-up the laptop with MBAM, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop.

• Realtime protection: I use MBAM PRO on two laptops (both using Win7-64 HP), and have set it in always-on realtime mode. I and my daughter are the users of both laptops - she mainly uses one that we call "hers". The realtime activity is not intrusive and has no apparent excessive overhead - seems to leave performance unaffected.
    When the logs of the realtime mode show that MBAM PRO has blocked a site, I always check up that site's bona fides, and so far they have all turned out to be dodgy sites. This is great for peace-of-mind - especially mine! I know that my daughter's casual click-happy antics as she browses are unlikely to cause any malware/adware to be downloaded. (I saw from the second cleanup described above how a child can inadvertently wreak havoc like that.)
    Note the comment and screenshot from @dcwul62 regarding resource loading/ usage and sluggishness on his system when MBAM is running - Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO - Mini-Review.. From my experience, if the user initiates a malware scan, then, though MBAM is unobtrusive, there may be an intermittent sluggishness, but this is little different to what one might expect when initiating (say) an MS Security Essentials virus scan. Again, in my experience, when MBAM is running and just in real-time protection mode, there is no noticeable delay, but YMMV.

• Other users: The following comment by @Innuendo in the discussion thread Malwarebytes is moving away from lifetime licenses was echoed by some other users on the DC Forum:
    I bought a MBAM license a few years back, not because I wanted/needed the real-time protection, but because I wanted to support them because they have helped me get *metric tons* of crap off of the computers that people have dragged in front of me begging me to fix over the years.

Here are some screenshots of the tabbed UI:

Malwarebytes - 01 Scanner tab.png

Malwarebytes - 02 Protection tab.png

Malwarebytes - 03 Update tab.png

Here is proof of it having done its job: (Quarantined some nasty adware in a downloaded program.)

Malwarebytes - 04 Qarantine tab 2012-10-30.png

Malwarebytes - 05 About.png

Who this software is designed for:
The software is designed for any home or business user who is keen to mitigate/avoid the risk of infection by malware/adware.
It is also an excellent tool for detecting and eradicating malware/adware on already-infected PCs, and for preventing further infection.
If you feel you have no need for the always-on realtime checking feature, then you may only need the FREE version rather than the PRO version. Here is a comparison between the two, from the website: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
(Thanks to @tomos for pointing me to this.)

Malwarebytes - 06 comparison FREE v PRO.png

The Good:
  • Does a superb job of cleaning malware/adware off an infected PC. (FREE and PRO versions).
  • Does a superb job of realtime blocking of incoming/outgoing traffic to "bad" URLs whilst browsing. (PRO version only)
  • Works well and without conflicting the anti-virus package. (FREE and PRO versions)

The needs improvement section:
Nothing to comment on here.
When I first started using MBAM in 2010, the UI had seemed a bit sluggish to me, but this disappeared after 2 or 3 updates later.

Why I think you should use this product:
  • Risk mitigation: and it's probably only a matter of time before you belatedly discover that you should have bought the PRO version.
  • Cost-effective: MBAM (FREE and PRO version) is a relatively cheap and cost-effective security tool to have on board to treat malware/adware infection, and (PRO version) to mitigate against future infection.

How it compares to similar products:
I do not have any knowledge or experience of comparable tools to MBAM. It seems to sit in a niche.
On 2014-07-03 I came across McAfee Stinger Portable | PortableApps.com (which I have not trialled).
2015-05-12: Also see ghacks post about Stinger and a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) here - McAfee Stinger installs McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

Conclusions:
Get this anti-malware tool!
It is extremely effective.

Links to other info sources/reviews of this application:
You will be able to find various references to MBAM if you google "Malwarebytes". I have not so far come across any particularly critical or adverse comments about it.

Addendum:
On the MBAM More Tools tab, there are 4 other applications you can get from software authors:
  • Secure Backup
  • Anti-Rootkit
  • Chameleon
  • StartupLite

Malwarebytes - 09 More Tools tab.png

In the discussion thread: FBI ALERT SCAM - Malware or Virus ? one DC Forum member had used one of those apps and recommended it - the Chameleon app. The Chameleon helped overcome an infection of a newer version of the FBI Scam. Once installed, Chameleon killed the process and enabled normal use of the PC again.

If you get the FBI scam hoax/hijack virus, you will apparently see an alarming "WARNING" screen. There are apparently different screens you might see. Do a Google search for "FBI scam images" and you will see them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:42 PM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO - Mini-Review (as at 2012-10-30).
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Thanks Iain
I've had a license for the pro version for a couple of months now, but haven't installed it yet - this might be me moving.

Here's their 'compare' link for the two versions:
http://www.malwareby...s/malwarebytes_free/
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Thanks Iain
I've had a license for the pro version for a couple of months now, but haven't installed it yet - this might be me moving.
Here's their 'compare' link for the two versions:
http://www.malwareby...s/malwarebytes_free/

@tomos: Thanks for pointing that link out. I have added the comparison table to the OP.
If you have the PRO licene, then you really should install the thing. It's doing no good whilst it remains uninstalled, and who knows but that if it was installed, then it just might stop your PC from becoming infected with some nasty malware/adware hijack.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Thanks IainB, nice review. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  Friend got hit with a nasty virus the other day and the guides on removing it suggested MalwareBytes, which performed well.  One nice thing is that it is easy to use only on demand when you need it, rather than having it stay resident, which makes it a good secondary tool to have in addition to a resident antivirus.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:15 PM »
One nice thing is that it is easy to use only on demand when you need it, rather than having it stay resident, which makes it a good secondary tool to have in addition to a resident antivirus.

That's true, but according to the Malwarebytes folks, the software is intended to supplement, not duplicate, the work done by an antivirus program.  That is, Malwarebytes is designed to ignore many of the things a good AV is expected to catch and to find the malware that most AV programs often miss.  That's why I feel that the Pro version's always-on protection is worth the modest amount it costs.  You don't get this if you use MBAM only every now and then.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Has happened to me more than a few times:
Using the pro version a site/IP gets blocked, another pc has the free one and visits that same site moments later. Scanning the pc with the free version finds nothing. I guess this is one form of false positive and as valuable as MBAM is I don't like this.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Just to add this bit of info from an old thread (https://www.donation....msg176095#msg176095):

20% coupon code for Malwarebytes valid as of 30 October 2012: BM6-3S7-665

I don't know how long the code will be good, but it's been valid since at least March 2012.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I already run Online Armor firewall and F-Prot AV.  I'm somewhat concerned at running another anti-malware program, simply because of slowing everything down.  Any comments?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 04:48 PM »
One nice thing is that it is easy to use only on demand when you need it, rather than having it stay resident, which makes it a good secondary tool to have in addition to a resident antivirus.
That's true, but according to the Malwarebytes folks, the software is intended to supplement, not duplicate, the work done by an antivirus program.  That is, Malwarebytes is designed to ignore many of the things a good AV is expected to catch and to find the malware that most AV programs often miss.  That's why I feel that the Pro version's always-on protection is worth the modest amount it costs.  You don't get this if you use MBAM only every now and then.
Yes, I tried out MBAM PRO rather tentatively at first, to see if its always-on realtime protection was an overhead or intrusive. It seemed fine on both counts, and I always check out any site that it blocks - they have all been dodgy so far; every time a coconut.
I also installed MBAM PRO on my other laptop that my daughter uses. Even if MBAM PRO potentially sometimes could be a bit conservative (e.g., "false positives" as suggested by @rgdot), I have not yet experienced that and anyway I could put up with that. Big plus is that it's an ideal safeguard for my daughter's trouble-fee browsing and Internet use. That is, she's unlikely to inadvertently or easily download any malware/adware from her casual click-happy antics.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:54 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Just to add this bit of info from an old thread (https://www.donation....msg176095#msg176095):
I don't know how long the code will be good, but it's been valid since at least March 2012.
@mwb1100: Thanks  for that. I have added it as a note to the OP.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:45 PM »

It is still valid today (31 October 2012 01:45 GMT)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54 PM »
I also installed MBAM PRO on my other laptop that my daughter uses. Even if MBAM PRO potentially sometimes could be a bit conservative (e.g., "false positives" as suggested by @rgdot), I have not yet experienced that and anyway I could put up with that. B

I gladly put up with it too, MBAM has saved me more than all others (AVs, etc.) combined. Just said "don't like"  because people I have helped complain about what seems legitimate to them and I didn't see any adverse effects when using the free version.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Using the pro version a site/IP gets blocked, another pc has the free one and visits that same site moments later. Scanning the pc with the free version finds nothing. I guess this is one form of false positive and as valuable as MBAM is I don't like this.

I could be mistaken, but I think the IP protection works only in the Pro version.  Thus, a PC with just the free version will not get warnings or IP blocking.  Also, Malwarebytes blocks IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses that are known to be used by malicious websites.  It's perfectly possible that the site you went to on the PC with MBAM's free version shares its IP address with malicious domains, and thus going to that IP address could result in malware being transferred to your computer, but it also could result in nothing bad happening.  The blocking is not really a false positive if the IP address is also used by malicious sites.  However, you can always instruct your copy of MBAM not to block a specific IP number, if you're confident that nothing bad will happen, even if the site shares its IP address with bad guys.  And if you're convinced that the IP address is not being shared with bad guys, you can also report the blockage as a false positive on the MBAM forum website.  They will investigate and either change their listing so the IP address is no longer blocked or explain to you why they feel it IS a malicious IP address.  Either way, they're good about explaining what they're doing, and you can override their judgment if you wish.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17 AM »

I could be mistaken, but I think the IP protection works only in the Pro version.  Thus, a PC with just the free version will not get warnings or IP blocking.  Also, Malwarebytes blocks IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses that are known to be used by malicious websites.  It's perfectly possible that the site you went to on the PC with MBAM's free version shares its IP address with malicious domains, and thus going to that IP address could result in malware being transferred to your computer, but it also could result in nothing bad happening.  The blocking is not really a false positive if the IP address is also used by malicious sites.  However, you can always instruct your copy of MBAM not to block a specific IP number, if you're confident that nothing bad will happen, even if the site shares its IP address with bad guys.  And if you're convinced that the IP address is not being shared with bad guys, you can also report the blockage as a false positive on the MBAM forum website.  They will investigate and either change their listing so the IP address is no longer blocked or explain to you why they feel it IS a malicious IP address.  Either way, they're good about explaining what they're doing, and you can override their judgment if you wish.

Yes the pro version does that. I understand your explanation about 'shared IP so maybe not that particular site'. My post wasn't so much about not liking MBAM itself but about how to manage its usage for the non techy. Non techy sees pro version blocking a site but when shown the site on a pc with free version no ill effects...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes FREE and PRO - Mini-Review.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 10:23 PM »
If you are interested in how hijack trojans and botnets can be built, there's a really interesting blog post at the Malwarebytes blog: Citadel: a cyber-criminal’s ultimate weapon?
It describes how to set up and operate CITADEL - a "crimekit" (a tool to develop and implement a cybercriminal botnet) - to do things such as, for example infect other PCs and gather data or launch hijack trojans.
It then covers how MBAM blocks a lot of these nasties, but makes the point that user caution is still advisable, as the technology is becoming increasingly sophisticated. Apparently things like Webinject phishing popups cannot always be detected/blocked, though I think your browser might be able to do something to block spurious third party popups.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:28 AM by IainB, Reason: Typo correction. »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of the Pro version. I once troubleshooted a friend who had it, and it ended up that the Protection module did some really derpy stuff, blocking websites it deemed bad loong after I had turned it off. The symptoms were of sites timing out, which usually point towards a network cabling or routing issue, but the problem was obviously more complicated given the specificify of things that were accessible and others that weren't.  (The kicker: I'm talking Google and similarly big sites.)

It took me a long time to figure out MBAM was causing it too, but eventually the troubleshooters super advanced diagnostics log thankfully pointed me towards some MBAM drivers that were running in a net-filtering context. (This after it repeatedly told me nothing was wrong, all seemed fine, etc.) Eventually, the trick that did it was rebooting the enire machine after disabling the protection module. Never ever did the interface ever give me a list of things that it was actively blocking, either.

After you deal with a 'bug' like that once, you simply don't care to get burned again. So I go with the free On-Demand-Scan for all my needs, and that's good enough, both for my PC and for keeping my stress down. xD

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05 PM »
There has been a significant update to MBAM. Not sure whether this or previous updates will have fixed the sort of problems that @worstje mentioned above.
I have updated the version number in the review (in the opening post).

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70.0.1100

New Features:
•   New program logo and icons
•   Heuristics for 0-day exploit detection now implemented in protection module for PRO version
•   Threats detected by the protection module are now quarantined automatically by default
•   Malwarebytes Anti-Malware now shows Windows 8 START screen notifications
•   More Tools tab enhanced with tons of new content and more to come in the future
•   Option to allow a threat to run temporarily (Allow Temporarily) added to filesystem protection prompts
•   Option to add a detected item to the Ignore List (Allow Always) added to filesystem protection prompts

Improvements:
•   Heuristics for detecting new and unknown threats improved
•   Scanner efficiency improved
•   Microsoft Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 now identified correctly in scan logs
•   Help file updated to include information on new features
•   Better compatibility with many other security products in realtime

Issues Fixed:
•   Minor issue with password creation from CLI fixed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:27 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 03:17 AM »
MBAM is now up to v1.75.0.1300 (I have just updated the opening post about this).
Malwarebytes - 08 MBAM v1.75.0.1300.png

It seems the MBAM developers caused a major problem for some users the other night, and this blog post (below) describes how they responded to the problem they had caused:    :Thmbsup:   :Thmbsup:   :Thmbsup:  
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Yesterday’s Database Update Issue
    By Marcin Kleczynski
    April 16, 2013
    In Company News

It saddens me to report that at around 3 PM PST yesterday, Malwarebytes released a definitions update that disabled thousands of computers worldwide. Within 8 minutes, the update was pulled from our servers. Immediately thereafter, users flocked to our support helpdesk and forums to ask us for a fix.

I want to offer my sincere apology to our millions of customers and free users. I started this company because I thought everyone was entitled to malware-free computing. We acted overzealously in that mission and realize far superior procedures around updating are needed. More was expected of us, and we failed.

So what’s my promise to you? Working day and night, we are commissioning several new resources to stop this from happening again. We are building more redundancy to check our researchers’ work and improving our peer review.

Here’s what we’ve done to address the issue. We immediately wrote a tool to fix the issue and published instructions on our forums. If you are affected by the issue, please visit the page. If you need assistance or are uncomfortable performing the fix manually, please contact our support team. We have our entire support staff answering tickets feverishly. Tickets are being answered within an hour, and we will reach out to you by phone if e-mail support is not enough.

Please, once again, accept an apology on behalf of our entire company. Let’s get you fixed up and back to a malware-free existence!

Marcin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:31 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor update. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Update 2013-06-18 re MBAM Chameleon app. (in addendum in the Mini-Review).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Pricing SchemePRO version US$26.00 (approx.).
There is an extended licence costing approx. $6 for 2 years

?

The fixed, lower price on BdJ is for a so-called lifetime license:
http://www.bitsdujou...rebytes-anti-malware

2013-07-20_001414.gif

-and it is not something new:

Dear Curt
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Consumer Lifetime License
Your Malwarebytes license key(s) is below.
ID: 8-B......
Key: E-2.......

/Bits du Jour, $15, 26 september 2011.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 03:40 AM »
From their FAQ, the business licenses are for a year at a time, but the consumer licenses are currently with lifetime upgrades.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51 PM »
MBAM lifetime licenses often go on sale at Newegg for around $14.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47 AM »
Update 2013-12-12: licensing scheme re the free and PRO version are only available for non-commercial use - licence is indefinite/lifetime.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08 AM »
A couple of cautionary tales on the MWB blog Malwarebytes Unpacked:
Another Day, Another PUP
Amazon Invoice Malware Spamrun Continues