ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.

<< < (14/14)

IainB:
As posted into the opening post:
UPDATE 2015-03-27: Release of version 2.1.4

* This update includes some major changes and improvements, including to the GUI. There is a good review of this update here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.1.4 brings new UI redesign | 404 Tech Support

IainB:
Update:
2015-05-12 - note re McAfee Stinger.(Refer: How it compares to similar products):
2015-05-12: Also see ghacks post about Stinger and a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) here - McAfee Stinger installs McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

--- End quote ---

IainB:
UPDATE 2017-02-02 1743hrs: Added to the OP:

General notes re v3.x:

* I have not had the time to exhaustively check this version out yet, having only just updated to v3.x
* I would have updated a couple of weeks ago but was delayed because the v3.x updater could not seem to run standalone or automatically from the GUI update command (the installers kept crashing with the same obscure error). This went on for a couple of weeks, so I had to wait till I had the time to fix it.
* I then used the latest version of the special MBAM uninstall software to force a clean uninstall of the v2.x, before running the v3.x installer. That seemed to work OK.
* NB: Before uninstalling MBAM v2.x you need to Deactivate the licence.
You then install the new version and Reactivate the licence.
I found from experience that failure to understand this (it decrements/increments a counter in the licencing database at MBAM HQ), means that the user will exhaust the allotted number of key uses, and will have to file a request with MBAM support to get the licence revalidated. MBAM Support were very helpful.    :-[ 
* An initial glitch in MBAM seems to be that v3 sometimes starts up from a cold boot with "Realtime protection disabled", when it had been enabled at setup time. Then the user cannot then enable it in the GUI (you press the button and it sits there thinking, but apparently doing nothing). The workaround I have for this is simply to close/terminate MBAM and then restart it. Not sure if the settings are always persistent for the next boot though.
* This update otherwise looks like it has a few relatively minor changes/improvements, including to the GUI (again), which now exudes an irritatingly positive colloquial personality, telling the user that things are OK with the cliché "Awesome".     :huh: 
* I intend to search up for an independent review of MBAM v3.x and post the link here.

IainB:
Well, I haven't yet found a suitable independent review of MBAM v3.x to post here, but there is some interesting user feedback about MBAM v3.x coming from users in this forum (DCF). For example:
I don't see what that has to do with the heuristic scanning.
-wraith808 (March 18, 2017, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wraith, I'm very sorry to hear about your horrendous experience with MB3, but I'm most grateful to you for posting about it.  You've saved me from moving to MB3 from MB2.  One very weird thing about your present experience is that apparently it's the heuristic scanning that is taking so long. In MB2, the heuristic scanning occurs at the end of the scan and takes VERY little time, perhaps a minute or so. 
-cyberdiva (March 19, 2017, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

My experience is that MBAM v3 seems to have become excessively RAM-intensive at times - e.g., taking up (accumulating) a lot of RAM whilst it is running the heuristic scan, and not letting go of it when done. Restarting it temporarily reduces the overhead. I feel sure that the developers would probably be aware of this inefficiency  (RAM being a finite resource) and would be working to resolve the problem it causes. We shall see.

As to the suggestion in the above quoted thread that MBAM might make it unnecessary to have a separate AV tool (e.g., such as Windows Defender, which is now bundled with MS Security Essentials AV), I would recommend users retain both - as a belts-and-braces approach, for the time being, at any rate.
I mean, there may be some surprises. For example, in terms of future developments, I have often wondered what MS might intend for the Malicious Software Removal Tool that they insert and run in successive Windows updates ... it seems to be rather good at what it does...    :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version