ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Malwarebytes FREE and PRO/Premium - Mini-Review.

<< < (7/14) > >>

dcwul62:
I am ..
-not sure
and
- not an expert :)

but found this linke
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/malwarebytes-pro-and-Norton-internet-security-2014/td-p/1087719

where a 'guru' says

A lot of people will tell you that there's no problem running two programs in reat time, figuring what one misses the other will catch.
Well, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way. They may be ok until malware hits your computer.
What is likely to happen then, is that they'll both fight over the same piece of malware with no-one winning.  Result---Conflict.
Better Norton as your primary real time protection, and using the other scanners purely as passive back ups.
-unquote-

It makes sense to me.

dcwul62:
later . . .

=
https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-does-malwarebytes-anti-malware-replace-antivirus-software
=
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
=

to be honest and (again) being no expert, I genuinely assumed that having a first class Internet Security  installed, that would be sufficient.
any other AV-product may result into conflicts, for reasons mentioned in my earlier post, which, as said, makes sense and on which I can't find any 'helpdesk-comments' from malwarebytes.org
Maybe I am looking at the wrong place though  :-)

=

=

tomos:
^ Malwarebytes has been reported as running without problem with at least a couple of anti-virus programmes.
I'm running it with MS Essentials on Win7; I've heard it works well with Avira free and pro versions.

(As for Norton, I dont think I'd want to run Norton at all, in spite of it getting some better publicity as of late...)

No idea about security suites.

to be honest and (again) being no expert, I genuinely assumed that having a first class Internet Security  installed, that would be sufficient.
-dcwul62 (May 22, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

unfortunately often it's not - but I wonder if anything at all is going to block the things that do get through :-\

IainB:
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that not only is MBAM not an antivirus tool and which seems to run perfectly happily alongside MS Security Essentials or other virus tools, with no conflicts, but also that they would not attach much credence to advice coming from anyone pushing Norton/Symantec, because that product set and brand seem to equate to lock-in, "shonky" and untrustworthy, and so they wouldn't touch any of it with a bargepole. However, I couldn't possibly comment.

MilesAhead:
I don't have command of all the particulars but my reason for recommending against running 2 av shields simultaneously is that they will both try to virtualize access to something to protect it.  This causes flaky behavior.  The 2nd av will try to virtualize something that's already virtual.

If MBAM real time doesn't do this then I see no reason not to run it, other than I like to get it for free that is.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version