topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Crossover Giveaway  (Read 6951 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Crossover Giveaway
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Flock the Vote Software Giveaway Announced!

On Monday, 29 October, CodeWeavers' CEO Jeremy White announced to his staff that he would be giving away CrossOver for FREE, for 24 hours, to anyone on the planet. He then locked the server room and fled into the woods. None of us can find the keys, which means that the Software Giveaway is on, whether we like it or not.

That’s right: CrossOver. Absolutely FREE. Here are the details:

What: A FREE copy of CrossOver, with 12 months support!
    When: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 00:00 - 23:59, CST (-6GMT)
    Where: http://flock.codeweavers.com
    Who: FREE to anyone on the planet

Looks like a good deal to me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Crossover Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:07 PM »
A very good deal. (You save $60.) If you regularly run Windows programs under Linux, and want to do so with the least amount of grief, get a copy of CrossOver. Period.

How can you go wrong with a company that's confident enough to tell you this about their product:

Try CrossOver First!

Give us ten minutes! That's all it takes to find out whether your Windows software will run under CrossOver. In ten minutes you can install our demo version, and then install the software you want. Or just see what our Compatibility Center has to say about it. If it runs, you're good to go with the easiest, least expensive, and friendliest Windows compatibility software out there. Even if it doesn't, you've only spent a few minutes to potentially save yourself several hundred bucks. Wasn't it worth it? Of course it was...

So, before you go plunking down your hard-earned money for a virtual machine AND a copy of Windows AND some antivirus software, give us a try!
:Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Crossover recommended over wine?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:18 PM »
^Yes. In many respects, CrossOver is Wine. Wine works but it's often fiddly. CrossOver is to Wine as something like LinuxMint would be to vanilla Debian. Both the same codebase. But things like Ubu or Mint are more refined versions - and generally easier for the average person to use.

Here's how Codeweavers relationship with the Wine Project works:

CodeWeavers: Proud Supporters of The Wine Project
CrossOver

Support the Wine Project Everything we do at CodeWeavers revolves around the Wine Project. Thanks to our customers, we have been able to fund significant improvements in Wine Project.

We contribute all of our work on Wine back to the Wine Project. We support many key Wine developers, who are making Wine into the technology that it needs to be. We also host the Wine community web server, winehq.org.

Some of our notable accomplishments in Wine include:

• Making Wine work with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Steam, World of Warcraft and many more applications.
  •    Making Wine work across a variety of platforms, notably Intel Mac OS X, and Linux.
  •    Providing web hosting and technical support for the Wine Project website, www.winehq.org.
  •    Organizing the annual Wine technical conference.
  •    Providing nearly half of all contributions to the Wine project (which amounts to about a gazillion bug fixes, including a lot of the really hard stuff.)

By purchasing CrossOver, or by engaging us to provide Wine services, you are helping us make Wine better, too. We are constantly humbled by and appreciative of the support our customers continue giving us. Thank you.

I like to think of Wine as something like the community edition of CrossOver even though that's not really an accurate analogy. It's more of a symbiotic relationship. Either way there's good synergy between the two.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I am trialing Linux Mint 13 Maya. I hope CrossOver will help me run MS Office 2007, TrueCrypt, and The Bat!. Thanks to mahesh2k for the head up and 40hz for the enlightenment.  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49 PM »
I am trialing Linux Mint 13 Maya. I hope CrossOver will help me run MS Office 2007, TrueCrypt, and The Bat!. Thanks to mahesh2k for the head up and 40hz for the enlightenment.  :Thmbsup:
I'd be very interested in your experience with the Bat.  That's one of those programs that I'd have to take with me if I ever went to linux.  Either that, or I need to find a good linux alternative.  I looked a little at linux email clients...meh.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18 PM »
I hope CrossOver will help me run ..., TrueCrypt, ....

TrueCrypt already has Linux support, which I suspect will run better than a Windows version under Wine/CrossOver.  I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised if Wine/CrossOver supported running any kind of Windows kernel driver, and TrueCrypt uses one for its main functionality on Windows.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Honestly, Directory Opus is keeping me to Windows. If that piece of software goes well in CrossOver, I just might jump. Mainly because I am not impressed with Windows 7 from the beginning and recently 2008 R2. The general sentiment generated by the new ¨contenders¨ doesn´t inspire confidence with me, to be honest.

Spoiler
[rant]
Come on, a single core AMD 2003 Oracle 10g server with SATA2 HD can handle a bigger load of DB connections (and small read/writes) per second than an i7 2008 R2 Oracle 10g server with SATA3 HD. For a SOAP test generating/storing 5000 small XML messages per sec (multi-threaded) the 2008 R2 file system gave up after 2 hours. Litteraly severing the link between filesystem and hard disk. The server was telling me that it lost the hard disk, destroying a 300GByte database because Oracle was not able to write to some files for internal upkeep. A simple reboot was needed to gain access to the HD again and that drive checked out fine, so it was really the OS/filesystem that couldn´t keep up. CPU load on the i7 never went over 8%, so kudos to Intel  :up: AMD has nothing to b ashamed about either with a average load around 19%.

The 7 year old 2003 server fullfilled its role as backup as a true soldier and lasted the whole week needed for the test. Without a hitch. So I am inclined to agree with the statement from 40Hz about MS making decent servers.  :Thmbsup: But for me the ¨sweet spot¨ lies with their 2003 Server. 
[/rant]

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Mahesh2k!  :Thmbsup:
WAAAY cool, especially since my Lame Duck copy disappeared when I switched to Debian a couple years ago.
Yes, it works pretty good, much software that didn't run in Wine didn't run in Crossover either, but what did run, ran better and looked nicer (fonts in Wine are fuuuuuuugly).
FTR, I didn't notice any difference between the Game edition and Office edition except the splash screen.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I hope CrossOver will help me run ..., TrueCrypt, ....

TrueCrypt already has Linux support, which I suspect will run better than a Windows version under Wine/CrossOver.  I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised if Wine/CrossOver supported running any kind of Windows kernel driver, and TrueCrypt uses one for its main functionality on Windows.

Yes, I have checked that but I still have to learn about tar.gz and how to install software in Linux. :) In the mean time, I can continue working as if I were in Windows if crossover can help me run all needed software.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51 AM »
If I use Linux Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon 32-bit Edition), which CrossOver Linux should I download?

• 64 bit Debian / Ubuntu (ia32-crossover_11.3.1-1_amd64.deb)
  • 32 bit Debian / Ubuntu (crossover_11.3.1-1_i386.deb)
  • 32 or 64 bit Red Hat (Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva) (crossover-11.3.1-1.i386.rpm)
  • Installer for all other Linux distributions (install-crossover-11.3.1.bin)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 03:59 AM »
If I use Linux Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon 32-bit Edition), which CrossOver Linux should I download?

I believe that Mint is based off Ubuntu, which is based off Debian. So I'd guess the 32 bit Debian / Ubuntu version.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Got it!
During the Lame Duck challenge, their servers got overloaded and it took 3 days for them to send me a link.  This time, much better.  :Thmbsup: