topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dishonored Review  (Read 7770 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dishonored Review
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I've just posted a review of Dishonored on my site.

The long and short of it if you don't want to read the whole thing is I'd highly recommend it.  I don't finish many games, but I finished this one.  From the voice acting (a stellar cast that includes Susan Sarandon, Brad Dourif, Carrie Fisher, John Slattery, Michael Madsen, Lena Headley, and ChloĆ« Grace Moretz) to the mechanics, to the environment (the story is pretty predictable, but still good), to the way that your actions have unforeseen effects, I really recommend it, especially if you like stealth games.  It's not the longest game, but it definitely makes you want to replay it, and lends itself to doing so.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dishonored Review
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Thank you for the review.
I will absolutely be playing this when it gets down to bargain price, it sounds like just my cup of tea (heavy on stealth and interesting environments).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:47 AM »
Dishonored is heavily discounted on steam currently.
An extremely convincing alternate world that is dripping with atmosphere. One of the best games of the year. One of the most satisfying stealth FPS ever made.

The trend I've noticed in FPS games these days is to have a million things crashing down and assaulting your senses at all time, forcing you to rush through each level with barely time to think (Bioshock Infinite and ever military FPS in the last 5 years I'm talking to you).

But here's a game where you can really take your time and enjoy the sceneary.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:58 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Blog-Child-Support-Oh-No-261x300.jpg

Bloody hell Wraith!

You hadda go and do that didn't you? Here I am trying to avoid gaming as much as possible and you have to find and do a writeup on that one? Steampunk? Mythos elements? A whaling city? Story and gameplay that looks like it was somewhat inspired by the movie Franklyn

And a setting that sounds something like Jeff VanderMeer's city of Ambergris.

All the weird dystopian fictional stuff I live for.

And all in one miserable game...

(Thx for sharing - I'm getting it. ;D )

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:44 AM »
@40hz: What was the name of that rather surreal movie where people lived to play/compete in a virtual game event where you actually ran the risk of getting killed? The line between reality and virtuality became increasingly blurred, with the two almost swapping places at the end.
Was it "Return to Albion" or something? I can't find it on IMDB.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:28 AM »
@IainB - I think it's Mamori Oshii's 2001 movie Avalon you're referring to.

Easily my all time favorite 'cyber sci-fi' movie. Highly recommended.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:03 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 01:48 PM »
It's a great game... I just got the DLC discounted, so I'll be revisiting the world soon.  But I can't recommend it enough!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:09 PM »
@40hz: Ah, thanks - yes, that was the one. I had forgotten its name. There are some words that, for some reason, I repeatedly have difficulty recalling - "Avalon" seems to be one of them. "Lethologica" (the inability to remember a word or put your finger on the right word) isn't one of them.
I originally first got Avalon out from a video store years ago and watched it. It was so good, I watched it all again (something I rarely do with a movie/video). When I years later wanted to get it out from a video store again I couldn't recall its name.
I hadn't registered till now that it was directed by Mamoru Oshi - who also did "Ghost in the Shell", another favourite of mine.

Back on topic, this Dishonoured looks like a good game. I try to avoid games like this as I know I can sometimes get hooked on them and they will become a compulsive time bandit. My first line of defence therefore is not to buy it so I can't touch it and it can't touch me. (Ren and Stimpy: "Will he press the shiny red button?")
I am having enough trouble with the call of Myst Online/URU Live as it is.