ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Valve is looking for beta-testers for Steam Linux client

(1/3) > >>

Ath:
We're looking for Linux gamers to install and test our new Steam for Linux client. We are primarily interested in experienced Linux users.

In order to take the survey, you need to first login with your Steam account to link your response with your Steam ID.
--- End quote ---

http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

40hz:
Like Linux. Don't care for Steam. Think I'll pass. ;D

Edvard:
All I want is Portal native. Gimme.

Thanks for the link Ath, I'd seen this on the blog a while ago, and emailed, but I didn't know there was an official entry.

@40Hz: I totally dig where you're coming from, and would abstain as well if I weren't so into what it means in the larger picture.  Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter.  Can't explain it really, but I feel this is going to be big...

40hz:

@40Hz: I totally dig where you're coming from, and would abstain as well if I weren't so into what it means in the larger picture.  Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter.  Can't explain it really, but I feel this is going to be big...
-Edvard (October 28, 2012, 11:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably will be. More because it gives the Linux community something it currently doesn't have as opposed to giving it something really good. Most of the reaction I've seen in the Nix community conjures up mental images of a herd of 13-year old boys who have just been told they're going to their first wet t-shirt contest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hung up on the FSF/GNU argument. The "totally free" argument isn't something I think apples to games all that much. Games are entertainment products. Unlike an OS, you don't need to have them. And my attitude has always been that every developer should have the absolute right to determine terms of use for their product. Just as their potential customers have the right to negotiate and either accept what's been negotiated or walk away.

My reluctance to embrace Steam is purely for technical reasons - mostly because of the sporadic problems I've encountered while using it. :mrgreen:

--------------

@Edvard - Note: did you see this post yet? Check out the site mentioned there. :up:

wraith808:
Yes, I've read the FSF's take on it, and even hammered on a few of my own points a few times, but what this means is more than just a few more registrations at the Linux counter. 
-Edvard (October 28, 2012, 11:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I think they alienate more than a few people (including me) with their definition of "Free".  No matter what they might say on the matter, there's a whole wide range of software that is "Free", and its pretty insulting to the devs (IMO) to say that they aren't just because they can't/won't release the source.  That's why I have a hard time reading (or supporting) anything they say, unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version