topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: advanced paste program  (Read 4831 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
advanced paste program
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:54 PM »
hello!

when you try to paste a folder in a directory where another folder with the same name exists, WinOS offers you to either cancel pasting, or replace the folder

I would like to have an option to merge the folders, ie. to paste the contents of the folder to the already existing folder, while keeping the already existing files (in case there is a duplicate file, I would like to either replace, rename, cancel, autoincrement its filename, etc)

thanks!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: advanced paste program
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46 PM »
You might want to try RichCopy

http://technet.micro...tilityspotlight.aspx
http://www.softpedia...osoft-RichCopy.shtml

Note: I have never used it myself

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:49 AM »
when you try to paste a folder in a directory where another folder with the same name exists, WinOS offers you to either cancel pasting, or replace the folder

-does it really? I am surprised. On my Win 7 it will always first ask if I want to merge the two folders. Maybe I have had TeraCopy Pro installed for so long that I no longer can remember if a feature came from TeraCopy or from Windows. Thanks for "enlightening"...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:37 AM by Curt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:53 AM »
I've never seen any other behavior than merging the 2 folders, if a folder with the same name already exists. It's more likely that the folder-attributes are taken from the added folder and set to the existing folder, but usually they're the same, so you won't notice a difference. After allowing the folder-'replace' copy, all files from both folders will be there, and you can confirm to overwrite any matching files, as usual.
This has been the default behavior since Windows 95 AFAIK. And probably before that too, but that's too long ago to remember ;D

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:07 AM »
Ath, are you sure the "replace" leaves all files from both folders there?  I thought it would overwrite the first folder with the files from the second folder.  But I have never checked it out.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:12 AM »
But I have never checked it out.
Quite easy to try, IMHO, but I must say I use it several times a week, and it hasn't failed me since Windows 95...

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19 AM »
file copying is not one of those things that I have ever thought to "experiment" with.  Usually when I need to copy, I need to copy stuff.  but I have tried TerraCopy and some others but that was to get around Windows stopping the copying procedure because something hiccuped.   :(

I do wish MS would fix that.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:12 AM »
I do wish MS would fix that.
IIRC they did something in Win8 to fix that

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:19 AM »
I guess its better late than never, although I was starting to think it was going to be the latter.   :D

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:32 AM »
On my copy of windows 7, it warns me that there is already a folder with the same name. It then says if there are any files in there with the same name it will ask if I want to replace those files. By replace, what it actually means though is it will ask if I want to replace the file, or leave both files and add (1) to the end of the new file, or skip that file.

Back in windows xp, the only option was to either replace the duplicate file, or skip that file and the rest of the files.

As far as I know, there has never been a windows OS that would simply delete all the files in a destination folder with the same name as the source folder before copying the new files to it.
[Insert really cool signature here]