ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

advanced paste program

(1/2) > >>

kalos:
hello!

when you try to paste a folder in a directory where another folder with the same name exists, WinOS offers you to either cancel pasting, or replace the folder

I would like to have an option to merge the folders, ie. to paste the contents of the folder to the already existing folder, while keeping the already existing files (in case there is a duplicate file, I would like to either replace, rename, cancel, autoincrement its filename, etc)

thanks!

rgdot:
You might want to try RichCopy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Microsoft-RichCopy.shtml

Note: I have never used it myself

Curt:
when you try to paste a folder in a directory where another folder with the same name exists, WinOS offers you to either cancel pasting, or replace the folder -kalos (October 27, 2012, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

-does it really? I am surprised. On my Win 7 it will always first ask if I want to merge the two folders. Maybe I have had TeraCopy Pro installed for so long that I no longer can remember if a feature came from TeraCopy or from Windows. Thanks for "enlightening"...

Ath:
I've never seen any other behavior than merging the 2 folders, if a folder with the same name already exists. It's more likely that the folder-attributes are taken from the added folder and set to the existing folder, but usually they're the same, so you won't notice a difference. After allowing the folder-'replace' copy, all files from both folders will be there, and you can confirm to overwrite any matching files, as usual.
This has been the default behavior since Windows 95 AFAIK. And probably before that too, but that's too long ago to remember ;D

techidave:
Ath, are you sure the "replace" leaves all files from both folders there?  I thought it would overwrite the first folder with the files from the second folder.  But I have never checked it out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version