ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Best New Features in Windows 8

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
this will fall on deaf ears
-wraith808 (October 26, 2012, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not so much deaf as skeptical. ;) ;D

wraith808:
Disk space is cheap. So is RAM. So having duplicate binaries and whatnot isn't that big a deal anymore.
-40hz (October 26, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Personally, I hate having stuff duplicated.  No matter how much space you have, it's never enough.  Then updating... I prefer one central location.  That is, until I don't.  ;D

cyberdiva:
System Restore has saved me more times than I can count; I have nothing but positive things to say about it (and have heard nothing but positive things).
-wraith808 (October 26, 2012, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
System Restore has saved me more times than I can count; I have nothing but positive things to say about it (and have heard nothing but positive things).
-wraith808 (October 26, 2012, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :Thmbsup:
-cyberdiva (October 26, 2012, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

+2 The recovery tools found in Windows 7 are stellar. All of them have been material in saving my (or a client's) bacon on different occasions.

Also props to Micorosoft's Easy Transfer tool. IMO it's the only way to safely and reliably migrate an Outlook message store to a different machine. Righteous utility that one is! :up:

ewemoa:
One feature I'd not heard about and it seems as easy to use as System Restore (which is one of the best features of recent years) is "Refresh your PC"
-wraith808 (October 26, 2012, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Was also interested in this and looking into it a bit, found a description of Refresh and Reset at dedoimedo:

Refresh:

Refresh is similar to booting into safe mode and trying to repair your Windows, using the sfc command on Windows XP, inserting your CD and then letting Windows fix corrupted system files by copying from the disc, or by using the recovery console in Windows 7, which then accesses the 100MB hidden partition where core system files are saved for emergency.

--- End quote ---

Reset:

Reset is a more stringent operation. It is designed to truly reset your system to factory defaults, which, in this case, might be either a preinstalled setup or your own manual installation.

--- End quote ---

The following point was a disappointment to me for Refresh:

You will lose programs installed manually. All your settings and tweaks will also be restored to default.

--- End quote ---

Looking for potential alternatives, came across:

https://www.networkworld.com/community/toolshed/better-windows-8-system-refresh-slimwares-recimg-manager

Anyone tried the product mentioned (RecImg Manager)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version