topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PhraseExpander text expander for Windows, free today only and Pro at 40% off  (Read 9379 times)

nagarsoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • PhraseExpander
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

PhraseExpander Standard (55.95$) is free today only, thanks to the GiveawayOfTheDay Promotion.
Get your free PhraseExpander.

If you also want to take advantage of a superdeal on PhraseExpander Pro ($84 instead of $140): you can get it at 40% discount at http://www.phraseexpander.com/gotdpromo
This offer is valid today only.

Andrea Nagar - PhraseExpander
Text Expander software for Windows
http://www.phraseexpander.com
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:02 AM by nagarsoft »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you also want to take advantage of a superdeal on PhraseExpander Pro ($84 instead of $140): you can get it at 40% discount at http://www.phraseexpander.com/gotdpromo
This offer is valid today only.

-two more days:

If you feel that PhraseExpander is working for you and you would
like to get more, you can get PhraseExpander Pro at $84 only, instead of $140.

This offer will be valid for two days only and will expire on the 29th October 2012.
You can get it using http://www.phraseexpander.com/gotdpromo

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpander Pro upgr 55% off
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:55 PM »
If you already own a license key for PhraseExpander Standard, you can right now upgrade to Professional for merely $40. I still think it is too expensive, but at least this is less expensive (55% off) than the normal $90 upgrade price!

The offer is valid only for a couple of days. Discount code: SPECSTDPROUP

Upgrade: http://www.phraseexp...specialstdproupgrade

moneyback.jpg

What do you think: Is PhraseExpander good? Worth the money?  :tellme:

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

If I remember correctly, from the Bits discussions, Phrase Expander makes it virtually impossible for you to export your data, except one at a time by hand.  (I'm not talking about sophisticated aspects, but simply the short text and long).  Not even by printing to a file.

So a few of us did not even bother considering the software.  The answers from the company sounded bogus, this was done on purpose, even though they import from here and there.

Companies that play such games should be ignored, as much as possible, imho. You might put together a phrase book of 500 phrases and then you have to upgrade for the new edition (for new features or browsers or whatever), not like the upgrade cost, and all your previous work is locked-in.

Technically the software sounds good, although they self-promote in a cheezy manner. And if a person really finds it to their liking, they might want to go with it, or stick with it, but newbies especially should be aware of the lock-in attempt.

Steven

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use Direct Access, and unless they changed when they became PhraseExpress, there's an option to export, as shown in the image below.

directaccess.png

Was this taken out?

I've also never seen the promotion that you refer to from them (from others, but not Nagar), other than to the mailing list that I'm on.  I've not upgraded because DA does exactly what I wanted, and the upgrade to PhraseExpress seemed to be more geared to put themselves firmly in the Medical Transcription area, which wasn't what I bought it for. (And as such, also a significant increase in price, which was too much for what i needed)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A simple search on their forum makes it clear that they long ago have fixed the bug Steven Avery was talking about. Bug, I said, bug, not some "lock-in attempt".

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

The most recent discussion was in December, 2012.  You can see that I was going by what was written by some concerned users as well as Bartels.  And it is quite obvious that we were not talking about a "bug".  If Bartels had features that they did not know, that would be puzzling. If they added features in the last two months, it likely was because of this confrontation.

============================

Phrase Express
http://www.bitsdujou...nal-edition#comments

1st Questioner: Just single question to a developer: Do you offer a free service or option to export my created snippets to plain text or other not proprietary format? Simply answer yes-no. This is the major thing to consider buying this software. I read Roy Planalp post and it makes me a little bit scarry.

2nd Questioner:...to ask the same basic question... in the application itself I do not see an export option.
How do I export the phrases that have been entered? If there is not currently an option to export phrases, when will this be added to the application? This is critical! Sorry, but this is important enough that there's no way I'll buy unless an export option is currently available or will soon be available. My data belongs to me and I have to be able to access it. Thanks!

Bartels Media You can export phrases as RTF-/HTML-/Microsoft Word-formatted text or unformatted plain text by simply inserting it into the desired target application. You can insert phrases by hotkey, by autotext, from the task tray icon popup menu or from a floating menu that can conveniently reside on your desktop. You can also export any phrase folder by simply dragging the folder from the tree view onto the desktop. Such exported files can be easily re-imported into another PhraseExpress installation.
It doesn’t make sense to export phrases in another format as PhraseExpress stores a lot of information along with each phrase that no other target application would be able to understand, e.g. proprietary hotkey/autotext trigger information, variables that contain restriction to certain target programs or users and additional parameters.

OK, this is one-by-one approach that is time consuming. Once again : Can I export ALL my created snippets from the database to plain text or other not proprietary format in a single batch or simple keystroke or whatever one calls it and not one-by-one?

1st Questioner: You did not answer my question. Please could you reply? If I should spend my money I need to have strong data to make decision. My second question is: Is the note on deleting bad posts from forum and poor support true as mentioned in Roy Planalp post true? I made some investigation on google with the name of your company and I do not know what I should think.

Steven Avery: Hi, This situation of not having a straight simple export of the basic data (to something like a .cvs or .txt file) should just about always be a deal-breaker, as it was for Roboform. Thanks to the posters who raised the question. At times, this is a symptom of other problems as well, but even by itself it makes a no-go.

Bartels Media @Steven:... Your idea of "straight simple export" may be based on a misconception, that PhraseExpress would be limited to replacing a text string A with a longer phrase B. PhraseExpress, however, does so much more: An Autotext or hotkey can trigger a text expansion *optionally*; PhraseExpress allows to assign multiple Autotext for the same phrase; it offers to adapt the letter case of the output phrase depending on the letter case of the Autotext. Hotkeys and Autotexts can be restricted to certain programs or users; phrases are organized in a customizable folder hierarchy which can’t be reflected in a simple plain text format; same goes for the proprietary macro automation language that are embedded in the plain text snippets. Then, there is the unique text prediction feature which uses data which is impossible to export in a meaningful format as it is stored in a complex multi-level matrix of word connections. ... If we would offer the “simple” approach as you suggested, you personally may be fine with that. But you are not alone: If we would offer such feature, thousands of other users may use it as well and may start complaining (for very good reasons) that all the text formatting would be lost in the exported file. Others may complain that the program/user restrictions settings are not exported or that the folder hierarchy would be lost. We kindly ask for your understanding, that adding such “quick & dirty” feature would create enormous support problems and it is against our quality standards anyway. Last but not least, it is very important to understand, that PhraseExpress IS a proprietary application as it provides a unique feature set.

Steven Avery Hi,
Bartels, I fully understand that two programs will not have exactly the same data .. one export, the other import. That is common in computer programs, one man's export is somewhat different than another's import.
Nonetheless, you, as a vendor with proprietary data, are supposed to supply the basics, which is simply :
a) the short phrase
b) the long expansion
You can definitely explain that this is a basic export. Perhaps you would add a bit more (e.g. an RTF option). You are NOT expected to export your special coding, like conditional processing. (e.g. Do this phrase if you are in Eudora email, or if the User is Max).
Afaik, there are no industry standards that you could use there, even if you wanted (as, e.g. with a .cal file for calender export and import, which is why calendars must have have such a function. A calendar is not expected to export all its functions but it is expected to do what it can unto the industry standard).
So nobody expects you to do what is essentially impossible, or nonsensical (a new specialized complex export, with a file-layout explanation, blah-blah). You are not asked to pioneer a new industry standard. If some one wants that type of specialized export, they can contract you out for that.
The simple fact is, you do not supply the basics.
So, as I said: I'm out. (continues)

===================

More discussion here:

Proprietary Data Formats
http://www.bitsdujou...rietary-data-formats

===================

This earlier discussion, April, 2011, I was not involved, however I did take note of some of the methods of Bartels when I read the thread.

Complaint about Bartels Media \ the PhraseExpress people
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=26473.0

Steven Avery
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:21 PM by Steven Avery »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BartelsMedia is a different developer.  The developer of this software is Andrea Nagar/Nagarsoft.  BartelsMedia develops PhraseExpress.  I think you've conflated the two software products.  Even in your excerpt you've posted, it's PhraseExpress.  Mentioning both in the same thread never leads to anything good.  Please, if you wish to continue discussion, do it in another thread so as to keep the two separate, or it will most likely get ugly.  (not that it won't now).

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

Ok, thanks and apologies.  I did not realize in my posting before that there were two producst Phrase Exp...
PhraseExpander did hit GAOTD back in 2012, but I skipped over it at the time, partly because of the name confusion.

Good to know, thanks for the correction.  

Now to see if Phrase Expander is a good software!  I see that you say this is a new name for Direct Access. I can see that it is a more descriptive name (Direct Access could be almost anything) ... but one that can lead to product competitor confusion as well.

While the current name of Phrase Expander is a good name in terms of being descriptive, it would have been nice not to choose a name similar to a major competitor.

If I had recognized it as not PhraseExpress, I would have downloaded the freebie from GAOTD.  Next time I will try. Generally I am not a big fan of phrase expansion (I type pretty quickly) but would not mind a try.

Steven
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:46 PM by Steven Avery »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I too would like to apologies, because I deliberately made my previous post provoking. Sorry, I shouldn't have done that.

PhraseExpander and Phrase Express are quite similar... say no more! ... but I type very slow, so I am a fan of phrase expansion.

Also, it must be remembered that Steven was right, when mentioning the bug, which was preventing PhraseExpander from porting when more than one of a type was selected. The said software author will only accept critic if it comes with flowers  and  the sun is in a certain angle  and  he is feeling generous. Otherwise, the problem doesn't exist ... say no more! ... I believe this has less to do with program features, than with personality.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpander Pro 69% off
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:36 AM »
Today at Bits du Jour: PhraseExpander (PC) 69% Discount Coupon Code
install on up to 3 computers

2013-02-27_093428.gif