ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ArsTechnica hands-on review of Surface RT

(1/5) > >>

40hz:
So ok...Ars Technica has a long and detailed review of Microsoft's new "hope for the future" poster child - The Surface Tablet.

Intriguing as much for what it is as it isn't.

Link to article here.

wraith808:
But Microsoft has a competing pressure. It wants to show off its software in the best light possible, and controlling the whole experience—software, hardware, and even retail—is how it plans to achieve that.

--- End quote ---

One of the most telling statements in the article IMO.  It's one of the places where MS's entry into any other market has fallen; having to fit into someone else's design and infrastructure.

All in all, it's a good review.  I'm still not convinced (after this and the other review of Win 8).  It's something that's so borderline that I'm going to have to hold it to see.  And my main hesitance with that is history (Zune, Tablet PC, Windows Phones, etc).  It would have had to pass the pricing test for me to dip my toe in the water, and $599 for the version that I would have gotten is a bit much for a device with a limited lifespan. 

It could pass the other harder test - the test of time.  But only time will tell.

40hz:
I'm still not convinced
-wraith808 (October 25, 2012, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Makes two of us.

I hesitated over getting an iPad ("Purely for evaluation purposes. Honest!") and not a day goes by that I've regretted it. In fact, with each passing day, I'm more and more happy I didn't now that I know even more about it than I did then.

I'm going to take the same approach with the Surface tablet.

Even the delay in getting my Raspberry Pi is paying off. When (or maybe if?) they ever ship mine, it will now come with double the RAM it originally did. And all for the same price.

I can live with a longer wait in exchange for something like that. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Added photo for blogging
--- End quote ---

OMG! I have been hacked by Mouser!!! :o

rgdot:
Added photo for blogging
--- End quote ---

OMG! I have been hacked by Mouser!!! :o
-40hz (October 25, 2012, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

We will look back at this in 2020 when the planet is renamed Apple and wish we gave MS more of a chance  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version