ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EverDesk stores emails in your normal folders with other docs

<< < (4/6) > >>

Curt:
Unfortunately, this Giveaway got hijacked early on when someone posted the comment that it doesn't work with Gmail. It actually does!
However, from that point on, people just kept repeating the mantra "piece of rubbish" without even trying it for themselves. I see the same thing happened in this forum. I hope GAOTD gives it another chance.
-Bruce Fraser (October 25, 2012, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

:up:

I have just collected my gmail post via EverDesk; no problems at all.  :)

The more expensive google version just offers a lot more of features than the standard version. That's All, Folks!

But by now you have all lost the chance to get EverDesk for free. Nelsonish Haw haw!  :P

tomos:
One of the commenters on GOTD suggested something called dreamMail. Scanned their site. Looks promising. Anybody try it? (I'll admit I'm more than a little leery of using a program from China for something as sensitive as my email client.)
-40hz (October 25, 2012, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried it a long time ago, 2006. I had problems then, I think the user forum was mainly in french so it was difficult for me.
There was little or no Import/Export support &
Keyboard shortcuts didnt work on a german keyboard.

Had a look again in 2010, but didnt install - there was still no english info, nor download easily available:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23325.msg211680#msg211680

I see they have a site now and reasonably active english lang forum

wraith808:
Unfortunately, this Giveaway got hijacked early on when someone posted the comment that it doesn't work with Gmail. It actually does!
However, from that point on, people just kept repeating the mantra "piece of rubbish" without even trying it for themselves. I see the same thing happened in this forum. I hope GAOTD gives it another chance.
-Bruce Fraser (October 25, 2012, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

:up:

I have just collected my gmail post via EverDesk; no problems at all.  :)

The more expensive google version just offers a lot more of features than the standard version. That's All, Folks!

But by now you have all lost the chance to get EverDesk for free. Nelsonish Haw haw!  :P

-Curt (October 26, 2012, 02:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

So can you explain their own matrix posted above?

And even with the ability, as I said, I don't do GAOTD anymore.  Perhaps that was incorrect, but the other limitations are, and I've been burned by them too many times.  Get used to using a product, then your computer crashes.  Or you reinstall the OS.  Or you get a new computer.  Sorry, you can't use it anymore without buying.

40hz:
I couldn't get it to activate within the time allowed (first time something like that ever happened with a GOTD btw) so it was moot for me either way. :-\

To some points made by others I'll also agree. I've had GOTD apps recommend an update (or update themselves) and then stop working. I can understand that the deal only applied to the version downloaded. But it would be nice if you were warned since it's often some time before an upgrade becomes available. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not about to keep track of exactly where, and from whom, I've gotten every piece of software installed on my system.

I think the best way to view a GOTD offering is as an extended trial copy rather than a true giveaway.

Most times I've decided to keep something I've gotten from GOTD, I'll go buy the full version from the publisher shortly afterwards. Which I'm sure was the plan when they hooked up with GOTD to begin with. I'm good with that. It's their product. They should be free to market their stuff however they think best. And I don't mind paying for things I use.

But by the same token, the more I think about how GOTD works, the less it seems worth it to me. Too much nonsense for not even second string products most times. True, you will find the occasional hidden gem (e.g. Liquid Story Binder) you might have otherwise missed. But IMO, finding that very rare bit of gold isn't enough to keep me interested anymore. Life is too short. And there's just too many other places where you can find really good software these days.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

cmpm:
I agree that it's only a trial via gotd.
And not a bad way to promote a product imo.

BitsDuJour goes further, of course.
I can still download and activate the free software given from the email.

Which is one reason I prefer web mail.
The code and download is still there after a format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version