topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: EverDesk stores emails in your normal folders with other docs  (Read 16807 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Today's giveaway, Thursday 25 October 2012 http://www.giveawayo...m/everdesk-standard/ , is offering something extraordinary. However, I have not yet tried the program. Have you?

edited: registering with valid email address is required.

Giveaway of the Day - EverDesk Standard
October 25, 2012

EverDesk is the first and only fully-featured email client on the market which stores email messages as separate files together with other files and documents in regular Windows folders. As a result of this unique approach, EverDesk provides not only the ultimate in email functionality, but also contains powerful features which are simply not available in other clients.

EverDesk combines the best of an Email Client, File Manager, Windows Desktop, Address Book and Calendar in one tightly integrated interface.

Here are just some of EverDesk’s features:

Unlimited QuickBoard panels for one-click access to files, documents, contacts, applications etc. – an ideal replacement for Windows Desktop.

Unlimited number of user-defined virtual categories for easy access to different files and documents, regardless their actual location.

Transparent PGP encryption.

Automatic context-sensitive contact lists – only people with whom you communicate will be visible.

One Global Mailbox to see email messages from multiple accounts in one place.

Unlimited number of profiles and templates to work with different subjects and in multiple accounts.

Flexible interface – see only information you want to see at the moment.

and much, >much more…<

NB: commercial use is available for this title.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:54 AM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: EverDesk stores emails in your normal folders with other docs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Now that I have just got to try.

Funny in a way. That was how every email client used to do it. Now you need an 3rd party app to go back to doing it that way.  :-\

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56 AM »
-I believe it is called progress ;-)

I am testing it now, but my situation has made me a lukewarm tester, because I have made it a habit to read my emails online, for max safety.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I've gotten to the point that I don't even look at GAOTD b/c of the crazy restrictions.  Decided to look into this until I saw this comment.

Was quite excited about being able to download and deal with Gmail when I discovered THIS GAOTD version doesn’t. You have to buy the upgraded version to get the one thing that is really needed. I was very disappointed as there are hundreds of email clients with some storing to folders – just none for Gmail. What a bummer.

Just an FYI

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57 PM »
I've gotten to the point that I don't even look at GAOTD b/c of the crazy restrictions.  Decided to look into this until I saw this comment.

^ + 1 from me. GAOTDs as a general rule seem to be mostly scams. This EverDesk one is apparently no exception to that rule.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I've gotten to the point that I don't even look at GAOTD b/c of the crazy restrictions.  Decided to look into this until I saw this comment.

^ + 1 from me. GAOTDs as a general rule seem to be mostly scams. This EverDesk one is apparently no exception to that rule.

Being almost serious here, there's an ugly new difference emerging between "scam" and "monetized". A Scam is when you think you get something and it isn't there at all, etc.

"Monetized" is offering X, and it is indeed X, but carefully sculpted to bully you into the upgrade.  :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Yup. Bummer. Several hassles getting a reg code and the activation to work. Does not handle Gmail in this version. Removed from system. Onward! :up:

One of the commenters on GOTD suggested something called dreamMail. Scanned their site. Looks promising. Anybody try it? (I'll admit I'm more than a little leery of using a program from China for something as sensitive as my email client.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Being almost serious here, there's an ugly new difference emerging between "scam" and "monetized". A Scam is when you think you get something and it isn't there at all, etc.

"Monetized" is offering X, and it is indeed X, but carefully sculpted to bully you into the upgrade.  :(

Yup. Monetization - that bastard love-child born out of the unholy union between Upsell and Bait&Switch.
 ;D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:44 PM »
...Being almost serious here, there's an ugly new difference emerging between "scam" and "monetized". A Scam is when you think you get something and it isn't there at all, etc...
Yes. It's all very confuzzling. It would seem simpler to stick to counting how many angels you can get on the head of a pin.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Yup. Monetization - that bastard love-child born out of the unholy union between Upsell and Bait&Switch.
 ;D

ZING!  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:58 PM »
 ;D

ZING!  ;D

Ssh, don't let Microsoft hear that! It's the bastard love child between Zune and Bing!  8)

Bruce Fraser

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Unfortunately, this Giveaway got hijacked early on when someone posted the comment that it doesn't work with Gmail. It actually does!
However, from that point on, people just kept repeating the mantra "piece of rubbish" without even trying it for themselves. I see the same thing happened in this forum. I hope GAOTD gives it another chance.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15 PM »
..doesn't work with Gmail
According to EverDesk's own notes that I read, this is true.
However, I didn't take that to mean that it can't work via IMAP with Gmail, but it seems to be so. I've given up trying to make it work anyway, but have not yet expunged the thing from my disk.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Unfortunately, this Giveaway got hijacked early on when someone posted the comment that it doesn't work with Gmail. It actually does!
However, from that point on, people just kept repeating the mantra "piece of rubbish" without even trying it for themselves. I see the same thing happened in this forum. I hope GAOTD gives it another chance.

From https://www.everdesk.com/features

everdesk.png

You're in a position to dispute what's on their own website?  If so, can you explain how?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:30 AM »

Was it an Astroturf post?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 02:43 AM »

:up:

I have just collected my gmail post via EverDesk; no problems at all.  :)

The more expensive google version just offers a lot more of features than the standard version. That's All, Folks!

But by now you have all lost the chance to get EverDesk for free. Nelsonish Haw haw!  :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28 AM »
One of the commenters on GOTD suggested something called dreamMail. Scanned their site. Looks promising. Anybody try it? (I'll admit I'm more than a little leery of using a program from China for something as sensitive as my email client.)

I tried it a long time ago, 2006. I had problems then, I think the user forum was mainly in french so it was difficult for me.
There was little or no Import/Export support &
Keyboard shortcuts didnt work on a german keyboard.

Had a look again in 2010, but didnt install - there was still no english info, nor download easily available:
https://www.donation....msg211680#msg211680

I see they have a site now and reasonably active english lang forum
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55 AM »

:up:

I have just collected my gmail post via EverDesk; no problems at all.  :)

The more expensive google version just offers a lot more of features than the standard version. That's All, Folks!

But by now you have all lost the chance to get EverDesk for free. Nelsonish Haw haw!  :P

So can you explain their own matrix posted above?

And even with the ability, as I said, I don't do GAOTD anymore.  Perhaps that was incorrect, but the other limitations are, and I've been burned by them too many times.  Get used to using a product, then your computer crashes.  Or you reinstall the OS.  Or you get a new computer.  Sorry, you can't use it anymore without buying.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 08:01 AM »
I couldn't get it to activate within the time allowed (first time something like that ever happened with a GOTD btw) so it was moot for me either way. :-\

To some points made by others I'll also agree. I've had GOTD apps recommend an update (or update themselves) and then stop working. I can understand that the deal only applied to the version downloaded. But it would be nice if you were warned since it's often some time before an upgrade becomes available. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not about to keep track of exactly where, and from whom, I've gotten every piece of software installed on my system.

I think the best way to view a GOTD offering is as an extended trial copy rather than a true giveaway.

Most times I've decided to keep something I've gotten from GOTD, I'll go buy the full version from the publisher shortly afterwards. Which I'm sure was the plan when they hooked up with GOTD to begin with. I'm good with that. It's their product. They should be free to market their stuff however they think best. And I don't mind paying for things I use.

But by the same token, the more I think about how GOTD works, the less it seems worth it to me. Too much nonsense for not even second string products most times. True, you will find the occasional hidden gem (e.g. Liquid Story Binder) you might have otherwise missed. But IMO, finding that very rare bit of gold isn't enough to keep me interested anymore. Life is too short. And there's just too many other places where you can find really good software these days.

Onward! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:58 AM by 40hz »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I agree that it's only a trial via gotd.
And not a bad way to promote a product imo.

BitsDuJour goes further, of course.
I can still download and activate the free software given from the email.

Which is one reason I prefer web mail.
The code and download is still there after a format.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 12:24 PM »
... I don't do GAOTD anymore.  Perhaps that was incorrect, but the other limitations are, and I've been burned by them too many times.  Get used to using a product, then your computer crashes.  Or you reinstall the OS.  Or you get a new computer.  Sorry, you can't use it anymore without buying.

-sorry, but my English is far too limited to make it possible for me to express accurately what I think of your whining. GOTD is not a gift-shop.

sorry, but my favourite just lost an important match...  :-[
-------------

BTW: I don't like EverDesk. The words about storing emails in your normal folders, are not true at all. The emails are stored somewhere hidden, and the folders are only visible inside EverDesk - i.e. Your'e meant to use EverDesk as a filemanager! I am not going to use this one.
 :down:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:41 PM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48 PM »
my English is far too limited to make it possible for me to express accurately what I think of your whining.

@Curt - "Your whining?"  :huh:

Umm..maybe that also wasn't the most constructive way to express how you felt about it either?

I'm just thinking out loud here...   :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41 PM »
And whining?  GOTD is a give-away.  That's not a give-away.  I don't know where gift shop came from.  I stated my opinions on the subject... and you still didn't speak to the big question?  Perhaps the answer was I used POP3.  Or I used IMAP.  I just (made the mistake and) asked for your experiences.  Will keep this in mind in the future.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17 PM »
I just (made the mistake and) asked for your experiences.  Will keep this in mind in the future.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup

@Wraith - "Will keep this in mind in the future"? :huh:

Umm..maybe that wasn't the most constructive way to express how you felt either?

I'm just thinking out loud here too...   ;) :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Point taken.  :-[