ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Neowin reviews Windows 8 - Leave your pre-conceived notions at the door

<< < (9/11) > >>

eleman:
I feel like in 10 years, most of us here on dc are going to be using some kind of linux based build your own OS type of thing.
-superboyac (October 25, 2012, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

My personal opinion is that we (the generation that remembers 1980s, the rise and fall of commodore et al., the rise of PC and MS) will continue using windows 7, or 9 (which will be the last one to offer a usable desktop mode if my conspiracy theories are correct) till we die. If I am still able to make well use of XP 11 years after its release, I will definitely be able to use 7 for at least 20 years. (Just like a friend of my father who still used a typewriter till his death in 2006.)

Some of us will be claiming in 2047 that MS really f.cked up with windows 18, and that this time people will really flock to linux, which -curiously- still won't have half decent drivers for nvidia video cards or a usable replacement for X.

The ithingie-facebook generation will not care, and each year they will be buying the new ipad n (35>n>25), which still won't have a USB port; or will be forced to use OEM loaded windows 18 and all the crapware installed by the OEMs, which will not be uninstallable on windows 18 ultimate pro HD OEM version. They won't care, because all they will be doing is to watch DRM locked expensive videos of mickey mouse, which will still be under copyright thanks to retroactive extensions of copyright term, twice, legislated with the intent of providing creative incentives for Walt Disney, who is still dead for 80 years. The videos will have lots and lots of advertisement by google, and they will be published by turnermsnbcaolfoxdisneywarner.

ed.: couldn't stop myself from ranting on copyrights.

wraith808:
I feel like in 10 years, most of us here on dc are going to be using some kind of linux based build your own OS type of thing.
-superboyac (October 25, 2012, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

My personal opinion is that we (the generation that remembers 1980s, the rise and fall of commodore et al., the rise of PC and MS) will continue using windows 7, or 9 (which will be the last one to offer a usable desktop mode if my conspiracy theories are correct) till we die. If I am still able to make well use of XP 11 years after its release, I will definitely be able to use 7 for at least 20 years.

Some of us will be claiming in 2047 that MS really f.cked up with windows 18, and that this time people will really flock to linux, which -curiously- still won't have half decent drivers for nvidia video cards or a usable replacement for X.

The ithingie-facebook generation will not care, and each year they will be buying the new ipad n (35>n>25), which still won't have a USB port; or will be forced to use OEM loaded windows 18 and all the crapware installed by the OEMs, which will not be uninstallable on windows 18 ultimate pro HD OEM version. They won't care, because all they will be doing is to watch DRM locked expensive videos with lots of advertisement, published by turnermsnbcaolfoxwarner.
-eleman (October 26, 2012, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

EPIC post. :)

40hz:
I wouldn't want "build my own OS" because then it would be even less compatible with anything!
-TaoPhoenix (October 26, 2012, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

But then again, if you're doing your own thing - and producing your own content (movies, music, books) - what difference would being incompatible be as long as the finished output gets written to an "industry" standard file format like DXF, RTF, PDF, JPG, PNG, MPEG-2, Ogg, or MP3?

You only need to be compatible if you're mostly a content consumer. Content creators (e.g. Hollywood SFX shops and studios) have traditionally used in-house developed and totally proprietary systems for their own projects. Why not us?
 8)

superboyac:
I wouldn't want "build my own OS" because then it would be even less compatible with anything!
-TaoPhoenix (October 26, 2012, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

But then again, if you're doing your own thing - and producing your own content (movies, music, books) - what difference would being incompatible be as long as the finished output gets written to an "industry" standard file format like DXF, RTF, PDF, JPG, PNG, MPEG-2, Ogg, or MP3?

You only need to be compatible if you're mostly a content consumer. Content creators (e.g. Hollywood SFX shops and studios) have traditionally used in-house developed and totally proprietary systems for their own projects. Why not us?
 8)

-40hz (October 26, 2012, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm...good point.  And I'm learning that all that hollywood "magic" today is quite affordable and realistically possible by normal people.

Carol Haynes:
Because to build your own software from the ground up for large tasks is beyond most individuals, would take a life time and cost a fortune. You need software compatibility at the very least and the trouble with that is that is installation requirements need to be known in advance - unless you want Linux to descend into a much worse version of DLL hell that Windows has suffered over the years,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version