topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chrome broke and I can't fix it. Setting Chrome as default browser.  (Read 3205 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi folks,

About a week ago there was a power outage during the night time, and in the morning when I turned on my computer and tried to open my web browser, Windows told me that Chrome couldn't be found and asked if I wanted to delete the shortcut.

So first of all, does anyone know how it's possible for Chrome to completely disappear due to an unexpected shutdown?

But it gets worse. I downloaded and reinstalled Chrome, but it won't let me set it as my default browser. Or rather, setting it as my default browser doesn't work. When I click a link in other applications, nothing happens. I've tried setting IE and Firefox as my default browser, and those work, but ever since I reinstalled Chrome I cannot get my system to use it as my default browser.

Halp! Does anyone know how to fix this? :(

I seem to be experiencing a similar issue as in this thread, except I haven't installed AVG, so I know it's not that. I tried all the troubleshooting steps in that thread and Chrome doesn't show up in the list of applications in my Default Programs settings.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome broke and I can't fix it. Setting Chrome as default browser.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02 AM »
OK this is really weird. In the IRC channel, ewemoa recommended that I uninstall Chrome so I could reinstall it to see if that would fix things.

So I uninstalled Chrome, and then I clicked a link to see what was my new default browser. And guess what browser opened the link? Google Chrome. :o

So now that Chrome technically isn't installed anymore, it works perfectly as my default browser. :huh: How does that work? :-\

Case closed, I guess... :stars:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30 AM »
Weird... well I guess it isn't broke no more  :D :P

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06 AM »
In the IRC channel, ewemoa recommended that I uninstall Chrome so I could reinstall it to see if that would fix things.
Obviously ewemoa is a clever guy, and knows stuff that other people don't know :Thmbsup: :P ;D