ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Don't You Want to be "Safe"?

<< < (3/15) > >>

Renegade:
...the same nutjobs that were trying to get laws passed in the US have begun to take their issues to the UN- likely on the reasoning of global network, global police.

If any of this actually goes through we're screwed, or going to see a global realignment.
-SeraphimLabs (October 24, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Psychotics gotta be psychotics.

Increased concentration of power always results in the same thing, every time - mass graves.

Also, because the UN has effectively global authority, the same nutjobs that were trying to get laws passed in the US have begun to take their issues to the UN- likely on the reasoning of global network, global police.

If any of this actually goes through we're screwed, or going to see a global realignment.

-SeraphimLabs (October 24, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The UN has global jurisdiction-40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Says the UN. :)

- but little actual authority. -40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because the have no legitimate authority anywhere. They are unelected... sigh... I'll skip it.

Unless you count resolutions that are routinely flouted and ignored as authority.
-40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got to ask about whose best interests are served sometimes.

But that's not surprising. When it was set up, -40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was financed by bankers. Who paid for the UN land where they are now? ;)

there was concern that it not become the world's new governmental body, -40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

A very worrisome thing, even now.

so the permanent member veto powers were incorporated into the charter making it very easy for certain "more equal" members to block anything the UN attempts to accomplish.-40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some animals are more equal than others. :D

Simple fact is unless you have your own nukes or standing army under your direct control, your authority is largely symbolic. -40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... pretty much bang on. The only other consideration is size and scope... :(

Even now the UN has to petition its members for ad hoc expeditionary and "peacekeeping" forces -40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice euphemism there~! :)

Some fun searches include things like "UN sex scandal", "UN troops rape", "UN murder", etc. etc.

on those extremely rare occasions it is able to get a resolution for direct action passed by the assembly.
--- End quote ---

Doesn't stop them from coming up with all sorts of Trojan horses though. e.g. Agenda 21 and ICLEI. 

I always thought of the UN as something much like a high school's Student Council.-40hz (October 24, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are far more positive about them than I am.

It has all the trappings of democratically elected representative body. But it exists only by leave of the school administration and it has no real authority. It's free to debate and petition and resolve what it will. But everybody knows that the faculty (i.e. the members of the Security Council) and the School Board (i.e. the permanent members of same) call the shots.

--- End quote ---

As an organization that proudly includes many others, e.g. Lucifer Publishing (renamed Lucis Trust), got to be pretty happy that they don't have any real authority.

While we might joke about things like voting for Cthulhu, these people are serious about that kind of thing. Lucifer? Really? You just can't make this stuff up.

TaoPhoenix:

It just gets crazier. The SOPA... thread is getting a little full, so I'll file this one under "things your govt is doing to make you feel nice and free that all is well."

First the Slashdot story link:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/10/25/2229236/feds-continue-to-consider-linux-users-criminals-for-watching-dvds
Feds Continue To Consider Linux Users Criminals For Watching DVDs

And then I'll just borrow the Slashdot summary because there are so many things wrong included in it that each of you could take  a different one.

-----

"An anonymous reader sent in a link to an article in Wired about the latest DMCA loophole hearing.

Bad news: the federal government rejected requests that would make console modding and breaking DRM on DVDs to watch them legal. So, you dirty GNU/Linux hippies using libdvdcss better watch out: "Librarian of Congress James Billington and Register of Copyrights Maria Pallante rejected the two most-sought-after items on the docket, game-console modding and DVD cracking for personal use and 'space shifting.'

*Congress plays no role in the outcome*. (Extra emphasis mine, why it's different from the other thread.)

The regulators said that the controls were necessary to prevent software piracy and differentiated gaming consoles from smart phones, which legally can be jailbroken. ... On the plus side, the regulators re-authorized jailbreaking of mobile phones. On the downside, they denied it for tablets, saying an 'ebook reading device might be considered a tablet, as might a handheld video game device.'"

So you can jailbreak a phone, but if it's 1" larger and considered a "tablet" you are breaking the law."

----------------

So I think the appropriate reaction is the set of characters at the top of the keyboard.

Tinman57:
It just gets crazier. The SOPA... thread is getting a little full, so I'll file this one under "things your govt is doing to make you feel nice and free that all is well."

First the Slashdot story link:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/10/25/2229236/feds-continue-to-consider-linux-users-criminals-for-watching-dvds
Feds Continue To Consider Linux Users Criminals For Watching DVDs

-----

"An anonymous reader sent in a link to an article in Wired about the latest DMCA loophole hearing.

Bad news: the federal government rejected requests that would make console modding and breaking DRM on DVDs to watch them legal. So, you dirty GNU/Linux hippies using libdvdcss better watch out: "Librarian of Congress James Billington and Register of Copyrights Maria Pallante rejected the two most-sought-after items on the docket, game-console modding and DVD cracking for personal use and 'space shifting.'

*Congress plays no role in the outcome*. (Extra emphasis mine, why it's different from the other thread.)

The regulators said that the controls were necessary to prevent software piracy and differentiated gaming consoles from smart phones, which legally can be jailbroken. ... On the plus side, the regulators re-authorized jailbreaking of mobile phones. On the downside, they denied it for tablets, saying an 'ebook reading device might be considered a tablet, as might a handheld video game device.'"

So you can jailbreak a phone, but if it's 1" larger and considered a "tablet" you are breaking the law."

----------------

So I think the appropriate reaction is the set of characters at the top of the keyboard.-TaoPhoenix (October 25, 2012, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

And every time I hear some SOB yelling "America is #1" I just want to slap them...  There used to be a time, but it's not now.....

TaoPhoenix:
Then there was the woman who got arrested because she protested the TSA patting down her daughter. I won't even bother with a link because a 12 second search will pull it up if anyone wants yet more depressing news. Basically the headline speaks for itself.

Renegade:
Then there was the woman who got arrested because she protested the TSA patting down her daughter. I won't even bother with a link because a 12 second search will pull it up if anyone wants yet more depressing news. Basically the headline speaks for itself.
-TaoPhoenix (October 26, 2012, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw that. Shameful. It's now criminal to protect your children from child molesters. Sick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version