ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon closes woman's account and wipes her Kindle

<< < (4/5) > >>

Renegade:
Look at the trading license on a US DVD or BluRay and it more than likely says it cannot be sold, lent or hired outside North America but Amazon happily break that rule - presumably because there is no mechanism for manufacturers to track those products!!
-Carol Haynes (October 22, 2012, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

mahesh2k:
One more reason to avoid cloud based purchase of stuff. By opting for cloud, companies get more control and customer lose it (ofcourse with excuse like - I am not doing something wrong so let them have it).

wraith808:
If Amazon trade in Europe there is a single European Market and they are violating it by discriminating against EU citizens from other EU states. It is perfectly legal for any EU citizen to purchase from any EU trader and the trader has to treat EU customers on an equal footing.
--- End quote ---

Norway isn't a part of the EU, is it?

f0dder:
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but... don't buy anything that has DRM, and do what you can to prevent others from doing so as well. If you must have the content and can't find a non-DRM source, pirate it - and do what you can to convince others that this is an acceptable thing to do. There's only one way to get rid of DRM: vote with your wallet.

As for ebooks on ipad: Calibre + Stanza. Fsck the horrid itunes crap.

It's a shame Amazon are being so stupid, as the kindle is a nifty little device, and e-ink is much better on your eyes than a TFT screen. But so be it.

Carol Haynes:
If Amazon trade in Europe there is a single European Market and they are violating it by discriminating against EU citizens from other EU states. It is perfectly legal for any EU citizen to purchase from any EU trader and the trader has to treat EU customers on an equal footing.
--- End quote ---

Norway isn't a part of the EU, is it?
-wraith808 (October 22, 2012, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

True. I hadn't realised that ... but:

Following Norway's decision not to join the EU, it became one of the members of the European Economic Area which also includes Iceland and Liechtenstein (all former members have joined the EU and Switzerland rejected membership). The EEA links these countries into the EU's market, extending the four freedoms to these states. In return, they pay a membership fee and have to adopt most areas of EU law (which they do not have direct impact in shaping).
--- End quote ---
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_state_of_the_European_Union)

The 'four freedoms' are described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Market_(European_Union)

So Norway is covered by EU Single Market trading laws (I am no lawyer but that is the way I read it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version